Bad thermal paste application on Gigabyte RTX cards.

ivanrcks95

I wanted to know how common this was. Recently got a RTX 2070 Gaming OC from Gigabyte, as prices for them here dropped to the point i could swap my 1660 super for it with 50$ extra on top. Card is great, still under warranty, and because of the overclock it has and the extra power delivery, it actually benched as much/more than some 2070 Supers, so win. However, i wasnt happy, no, i was surprised with the temps it was getting. During a stress test it was getting up to 76c with 80% fan speeds, and a 95% TDP, in gaming it was lower, about 69c max, but still more than i expected from reading reviews. I decided to re-paste it, slight chance itll void warranty, but since there was no warranty sticker over one of the bolts, i thought id risk it. What do you know, this is probably the worst thermal application ive ever seen, its like they barely used any paste, half the die didnt have paste over it, not to mention it was all dried up. Re-applied with Evercool Nano Diamond, an unknown brand to most, but its served me really well. In the same stress test, now with 100% TDP, 60% fan speeds, max it got to is 69c, in gaming it usually doesnt go above 62/63c. Really sad that gigabyte didnt put more effort into quality control, especially with the factory overclocks they run. Anyone else had a similar experience with giga/aorus RTX cards? 

20200911_190354.thumb.jpg.b43f50d42de7de52d5682d6349ef2de2.jpg

20200911_190345.thumb.jpg.71d7a674f99ff0f7c7e517467978cf54.jpg

20200911_190348.thumb.jpg.fcb895eadc3f37f59c55bcca801ebef4.jpg

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

5 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Anyone else had a similar experience with giga/aorus RTX cards?

repasted my Aorus 2080 super Waterforce recently with cryonaut

i have to say the application looked segnificantly different to yours

there was a huge ammount of TIM

not only the silicon was covered, but the entire green pcb piece it sits on

but yes, the TIM was bonedry, and my temps since repasting are way lower

before i got in the mid 60s while running furmark, now it maxes out at 54-55

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

10 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Anyone else had a similar experience with giga/aorus RTX cards? 

i just got mine back from RMA 2 days ago, 2070S windforce OC model

same issue, overheating, 80c+ during non-heavy load

i tried repasting it but didnt solve the issue (maybe not enough paste)

so i sent it in, a month later i got it back and it's so far so good

cant believe it took them a month to fix a bloody thermal issue though

10 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

69c

nice

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

repasted my Aorus 2080 super Waterforce recently with cryonaut

i have to say the application looked segnificantly different to yours

there was a huge ammount of TIM

not only the silicon was covered, but the entire green pcb piece it sits on

but yes, the TIM was bonedry, and my temps since repasting are way lower

before i got in the mid 60s while running furmark, now it maxes out at 54-55

Ah right the other end of the spectrum, guess the paste they use is terrible then, that even when it is applied properly it still gets hot.

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i just got mine back from RMA 2 days ago, 2070S windforce OC model

same issue, overheating, 80c+ during non-heavy load

i tried repasting it but didnt solve the issue (maybe not enough paste)

so i sent it in, a month later i got it back and it's so far so good

nice

Ah thats good to hear that they didnt say warranty is void after you re-pasted it. Was kinda worried about that if the re-pasting didnt fix my issue and i had to return it too.

3 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Ah thats good to hear that they didnt say warranty is void after you re-pasted it.

i did not tell them anything, it's on a need to know basis imo

Just now, Moonzy said:

i did not tell them anything, it's on a need to know basis imo

Ah fair enough, i guess yours also didnt have any warranty void sticker on the screws? 

2 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Ah fair enough, i guess yours also didnt have any warranty void sticker on the screws? 

yeap, none, that's why i went and did it anyways

i wanted to email to ask gigabyte if repasting would void warranty, but they didnt even bother giving an email in their website and just said "contact retailer"

this is why they're in my blacklisted company list in my sig

10/10 customewr service /s

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

yeap, none, that's why i went and did it anyways

i wanted to email to ask gigabyte if repasting would void warranty, but they didnt even bother giving an email in their website and just said "contact retailer"

this is why they're in my blacklisted company list in my sig

10/10 customewr service /s

Ah, its a shame really, because i always loved the performance of their cards, my 1660 Super was also a gaming OC model and it would benchmark in the region of some lower tier 2060s, and this as i said benches more than the average of 2070 Super cards, but yeah the customer service and quality control is really letting them down.

1 hour ago, ivanrcks95 said:

its like they barely used any paste, half the die didnt have paste over it, not to mention it was all dried up.

Your photos you show complete coverage. As for it being dry, it could just be the type they used. Some only become soft when warmed up.

I have some version of a Gigabyte 2070 Windforce with 3 fans, and has been ok running stock since I got it nearly 2 years ago. I think the fans do spin up a bit more than I like at times, but I'd blame it on case airflow since I went for looks over it. If I get really bored some day I might repaste it and report back.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

Your photos you show complete coverage. As for it being dry, it could just be the type they used. Some only become soft when warmed up.

I have some version of a Gigabyte 2070 Windforce with 3 fans, and has been ok running stock since I got it nearly 2 years ago. I think the fans do spin up a bit more than I like at times, but I'd blame it on case airflow since I went for looks over it. If I get really bored some day I might repaste it and report back.

That picture was taken when the card was still hot ish, warm, is a better word, as i wanted it to be easier to separate from the cooler, so yeah it was "dry" even when it was hot. I still think its pretty bad on their end, considering the drastic results seen after re-pasting, not only the difference in temperatures under load, with much lower fan speeds, and a higher TDP, but the fact before it would also spike the temps, so it would spike from 40ish at idle to 70 almost instantly then stabilise to 76, whereas now it takes it a long time to even get to 60 before stabilising around 68-69.

• 8 months later...

I have a 2080 super I picked up a couple of years ago and have recently been having an issue where my computer crashes, screens go black, and GPU fans ramp to 100%. looking up online I have seen other people complain about the same issue and saying they corrected it with a re-application of thermal paste on there GPUs. I have never pulled apart a GPU before so I'm a bit leery of doing it but with the GPU shortage right now I think it's worth a shot to try and fix the issue. 

4 minutes ago, Risu0042 said:

I have a 2080 super I picked up a couple of years ago and have recently been having an issue where my computer crashes, screens go black, and GPU fans ramp to 100%. looking up online I have seen other people complain about the same issue and saying they corrected it with a re-application of thermal paste on there GPUs. I have never pulled apart a GPU before so I'm a bit leery of doing it but with the GPU shortage right now I think it's worth a shot to try and fix the issue. 

You should be creating a new thread with your issue instead of hijacking an old thread...

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

You should be creating a new thread with your issue instead of hijacking an old thread...

my intention wasn't to hyjack his thread. he asked a question about how common bad thermal past application on gigabyte cards were and the issues that i'm having with my gigabyte 2080 super i believe is a bad thermal paste application. 

• 11 months later...

Getting similar overheating issues on my Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC WIndforce after around 3ish years. Not sure if thermal paste is drying up or what is going on, fans go up to 98% or 95% and temps are at 81C which is NOT normal and wasn't the case when i got it. 
I will open it up repaste with noctua paste and post an update afterwards to see if that was indeed the problem or not.

It's important to report situations like this in this thread so people that have theses cards know how to fix it if these design/factory issues start poppin up all of a sudden.

EDIT: 

I can confirm 100% that this was the issue, I have repasted and it's like another GPU now, even better than the first day I bought it, I used noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.
photo_2022-04-22_23-58-47.thumb.jpg.0ce72589d93ec7fb94862d4c810eb3ac.jpgphoto_2022-04-22_23-58-52.thumb.jpg.3784c7ac489e6d02f303bc8a81aaa9f9.jpg

it was like dry cement, just thermal paste dust, and really hard to remove.

I couldnt hit 900 mV before it hit 81C and fans spun up to max

Now it's like a completely new GPU:
MSIAfterburner_YhzGCfWKcZ.png.2816aa532b96dd5ebd19c1ffa7b1e233.png

all the way up to 1040 mV at 73C with fans at 60%

If anyone is having thermal issues with gigabyte windforce cards, REPLACE THE SHITTY PASTE.

On 4/20/2022 at 6:17 AM, Nighteyes said:

Getting similar overheating issues on my Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC WIndforce after around 3ish years. Not sure if thermal paste is drying up or what is going on, fans go up to 98% or 95% and temps are at 81C which is NOT normal and wasn't the case when i got it. 
I will open it up repaste with noctua paste and post an update afterwards to see if that was indeed the problem or not.

It's important to report situations like this in this thread so people that have theses cards know how to fix it if these design/factory issues start poppin up all of a sudden.

EDIT: 

I can confirm 100% that this was the issue, I have repasted and it's like another GPU now, even better than the first day I bought it, I used noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.
photo_2022-04-22_23-58-47.thumb.jpg.0ce72589d93ec7fb94862d4c810eb3ac.jpgphoto_2022-04-22_23-58-52.thumb.jpg.3784c7ac489e6d02f303bc8a81aaa9f9.jpg

it was like dry cement, just thermal paste dust, and really hard to remove.

I couldnt hit 900 mV before it hit 81C and fans spun up to max

Now it's like a completely new GPU:
MSIAfterburner_YhzGCfWKcZ.png.2816aa532b96dd5ebd19c1ffa7b1e233.png

all the way up to 1040 mV at 73C with fans at 60%

If anyone is having thermal issues with gigabyte windforce cards, REPLACE THE SHITTY PASTE.

Nice! Glad to see it helped. Mine has developed a new issue, the cooler plate has started flexing, and isnt providing enough clamping force on the die to cool properly. I knew the cooler for it was bad, but not this bad. Ive decided to watercool because of this. Tired of the sub-par quality of Gigabyte 20 series coolers.