Device with static mac-adress

GenericFanboy
Go to solution Solved by TheInfinityBacon,

You can use a dongle to add an Ethernet port to a phone. Generic Ethernet to USB-C or Micro have usually worked fine for me.

We're looking for a device that has a static mac adress. Which is quite easy to find i guess, but here's the catch. It needs to be small, battery powered and have an ethernet port. 

We're using this for a reason thats uhh.. quite hard to explain! so i wont. If you need extra info please do ask. 

We tried a raspberry pi with a battery, it didnt work how we wanted it to, but the idea is there.

maybe an intel NUC?

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

maybe an intel NUC?

Sadly looking for smaller then that, battery powered is also important

2 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

Sadly looking for smaller then that, battery powered is also important

uhhhm

most phones have their own mac addresses. maybe that?

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

We're looking for a device that has a static mac adress.

All MAC addresses are static, they are hard coded to the network interface controller. They can be spoofed, but you don't have dynamic MAC addresses like you do with IP addresses, they are always static.

6 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

We're looking for a device that has a static mac adress.

I don't understand this. All Ethernet-devices have, by default, a static MAC-address.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I don't understand this. All Ethernet-devices have, by default, a static MAC-address.

Just now, The_russian said:

All MAC addresses are static, they are hard coded to the network interface controller. They can be spoofed, but you don't have dynamic MAC addresses like you do with IP addresses, they are always static.

Yup thats my bad, lol. 

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

uhhhm

most phones have their own mac addresses. maybe that?

Still need the ethernet port though :')

Just now, GenericFanboy said:

Could always use a USB Ethernet.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

Yup thats my bad, lol. 

ethernet to usb-c. BOOM and if it's POE then maybe you can charge the phone aswell

Just now, TheBaconGuy said:

Not sure how POE interacts with phones, but wireless charging could be a way to go.

i don't either.

but if it works it's genious.

1 minute ago, TheBaconGuy said:

Not sure how POE interacts with phones, but wireless charging could be a way to go.

and screw you for having such a sexy profile picture, there's still 3 hours till lunch break and 6 hours till i'm allowed to go home.

now i really want to eat bacon. DAMNN YOU SEXY BACON

Thats.. actually quite doable? I've never actually even heard of ethernet ports for phones if i'm honest. But it does make sense. I'll look but please keep the suggestions coming

Just now, GenericFanboy said:

Thats.. actually quite doable? I've never actually even heard of ethernet ports for phones if i'm honest. But it does make sense. I'll look but please keep the suggestions coming

https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-c-3-1-til-rj45/usb-c-3-1-til-1-x-rj45-10-100-ethernet-lan-adapter.html

danish site, but just to show it is possible :)

1 minute ago, GenericFanboy said:

To be able to suggest something else, you're going to be more specific in what you need and why e.g. the RPi wasn't suitable. You have not given enough information.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

To be able to suggest something else, you're going to be more specific in what you need and why e.g. the RPi wasn't suitable. You have not given enough information.

We bought a raspberry pi with a battery hat and a strompi 3. It didnt keep the raspberry pi alive.. That was the only problem.

8 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

We bought a raspberry pi with a battery hat and a strompi 3. It didnt keep the raspberry pi alive.. That was the only problem.

Replace the battery with a bigger one. Also, reduce the CPU clock-speed.

Then that hat was faulty/unsuitable, it doesn't discard the whole concept...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Then that hat was faulty/unsuitable, it doesn't discard the whole concept...

True, But this was me trying to see if there were alternatives that are cheaper/easier. And clearly there are some idea's :)

Yup, as mentioned pretty much any phone that supports USB host will be able to connect to an Ethernet cable. You however will not be able to charge while using unless you use a recent one with USB-C and a dongle with charging input.

...but since you somehow refuse to tell us what it'd be used for while it can connect to Ethernet it might still not be an option to run whatever you want to run from it.

For the Pi you can jsut use a powerbank instead of a hat...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Yup, as mentioned pretty much any phone that supports USB host will be able to connect to an Ethernet cable. You however will not be able to charge while using unless you use a recent one with USB-C and a dongle with charging input.

...but since you somehow refuse to tell us what it'd be used for while it can connect to Ethernet it might still not be an option to run whatever you want to run from it.

For the Pi you can jsut use a powerbank instead of a hat...

I agree without more information we can't help and I run a Raspberry pi 4 on a Ravpower battery bank, recharge it once a week, also my Raspberry pi 3B+ has been sitting happily in the back yard on the same battery bank for an outdoor project. 

Simplest thing I can come up with is a Arduino with a Ethernet-shield, and it can easily be battery powered. The downside is that it is just a micro controller, so you can't have it to do much compute or any other complex tasks.

5 hours ago, GenericFanboy said:

We tried a raspberry pi with a battery, it didnt work how we wanted it to, but the idea is there.

I know you have lots of answers already, but what about the Pi Zero with the ENC28J60 ethernet adapter?

The zero is very low power and still has the advantage of community support, plus, it's tiny.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I know you have lots of answers already, but what about the Pi Zero with the ENC28J60 ethernet adapter?

The zero is very low power and still has the advantage of community support, plus, it's tiny.

If the other solutions dont work, i'll definitely look into it! Thank you all so much.