Camping out in front of Best Buy for RTX 3080 & RTX 3090 Day of Release??

Yoshi Moshi

Does anyone know if Best Buy will have the new video cards the day of release physically at the stores 9/17 and 9/24? Has anyone heard officially from a Best Buy employee if they will? From what I know historically, Best Buy normally has the cards on release date?

I figured my best bet at getting one of these puppies is to get one physically at a store by camping out. It would be whoever is willing to wait the longest will get one, not whoever has the fastest internet etc.. I know it will be a hit or miss, hitting the refresh page over and over again the day of release, on Nvidia's website, Best Buy, Amazon, or New Egg. I fear they will sell out instantly. The website might shut down because of all the people spamming F5. Not to mention, if I'm one of the few lucky ones who manage to get the item in my cart, and able to hit the checkout button without the website freezing up, I'd have to wait for it to ship to me. Where as if I get it at a store on release date, I will have it on my hands a whole lot sooner!

Will there be a designated waiting area for people to wait? I have never camped out for a video card, but have camped out for video game consoles. What can I expect and how early do I have to get there to get one do you think? I know for the PS3 and the Xbox on their releases, people were camping out several days in advance. I'm hoping I can just show up the night before and I should be good? I really hope that people aren't going to be camping out for days in line. I think this is my best bet at getting a card, waiting outside of a physical store location. Once the store opens up, is it just a mad rush sprint to the video cards, or will they have them at the checkout line waiting for me?

Thanks for the help!

On the Best Buy side of things I asked a worker of the PC section of the store. He came off very annoyed and aggravated when I asked if they have had physical stock in-store the day of release for new GPU launches in the past. Almost like I was asking him for Best Buy trade secrets or something. He even said that some employees are wanting to purchase the cards implying that they would be holding the cards for employees first or something. This as a Best Buy in Virginia Beach, VA. So your mileage may vary. 

My Build: cpu: i7-12700k motherboard: Asus Strix Gaming D4 Wifi ram: G.Skill 64gb (4x16gb) 4000mhz @ 1.45v case: O11D XL gpu: MSI Gaming Trio 4090 storage: 3x Crucial 1tb Nvme SSDs display: Samsung LC34G55TWWNXZA keyboard: Logitech G915 mouse: Logitech Superlight headset: astro a40 tr

Don’t get on that level

If you are camping in front of a store to get a new product you say 

„ I‘m a brainless fanboy „

that‘s my opinion 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Don’t get on that level

What do you mean? I think i have a better chance waiting outside of bestbuy than spamming F5 and praying that I'm able to get one. Right?

I don't mind being a fan boy, i want one really bad, and think it's my best option over trying to get one online the day of release.

I don't think camping at the store on day 1 of release is good.  I don't even think getting them day 1 of release from anywhere is good.  Best to wait for it to get into consumer and reviewer hands to see if the hype is really worth it.  Sure you may wait a while due to high demand but honestly that's not a bad thing.

Will that aside, do you know if best buy normally has them day one? It's ok I don't want to wait months and months to get one. Given that I'm either going to hit F5 over and over again and hope i get one, or wait outside the store, do you know if Best Buy will have them day one? That's my best shot at getting one. I want one really really bad.

I might drive by best buy on 9/17 in the morning to see how many people are in line, to see how long i should wait outside for 3090. That's if they even have them on day one

If you value the features that Nvidia cards give you along with GPU performance upgrades I do not see an issue with purchasing the cards the same day of release. However you must also take what Nvidia says with a grain of salt in terms of promised performance. If you are happy with just a 30-40% increase of performance, its more than likely a safe bet to pull the trigger. It is your time and money after all.

My Build: cpu: i7-12700k motherboard: Asus Strix Gaming D4 Wifi ram: G.Skill 64gb (4x16gb) 4000mhz @ 1.45v case: O11D XL gpu: MSI Gaming Trio 4090 storage: 3x Crucial 1tb Nvme SSDs display: Samsung LC34G55TWWNXZA keyboard: Logitech G915 mouse: Logitech Superlight headset: astro a40 tr

1 minute ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

Will that aside, do you know if best buy normally has them day one? It's ok I don't want to wait months and months to get one. Given that I'm either going to hit F5 over and over again and hope i get one, or wait outside the store, do you know if Best Buy will have them day one? That's my best shot at getting one. I want one really really bad.

if i had to guess, nvidia's the only ones that'll for sure have them on day 1, best chance is to order a FE if your local bby doesn't have a set date

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

I sold my 2080 Ti before the 3000 series announcement and was still able to get good money. So now I'm rocking an old school GTX 745 lol. So I know either way I'm going to get one of these cards. Because I want to play the latest and greatest games, and can't on a GTX 745. So regardless of what the reviews say I will end up getting one lol. So might as well as get it day of release.

Just now, Yoshi Moshi said:

I sold my 2080 Ti before the 3000 series announcement and was still able to get good money. So now I'm rocking an old school GTX 745 lol. So I know either way I'm going to get one of these cards. Because I want to play the latest and greatest games, and can't on a GTX 745. So regardless of what the reviews say I will end up getting one lol. So might as well as get it day of release.

Pretty smart to ditch the 2080Ti BEFORE the announcement.  Prices dropped like a rock after that.  Can't say I can give you advice on whether Best Buy will have them on release day.  Probably depends on your local store - check if they have any announcements about inventory.  

3 minutes ago, xg32 said:

if i had to guess, nvidia's the only ones that'll for sure have them on day 1, best chance is to order a FE if your local bby doesn't have a set date

Like @xg32 says, you might want to try ordering direct from Nvidia.

I just contacted Best Buy, and they said they don't know yet. I'm going to try and contact Nvidia and see if they know. I'll let you guys know when I hear back from them.

It works for PS4 XBOX consoles but PC I would say Microcenter might be a better place to pick up a card because they spec. in that stuff. I don't live close to either nearest Best Buy is a 30 mile drive.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, Yoshi Moshi said:

I just contacted Best Buy, and they said they don't know yet. I'm going to try and contact Nvidia and see if they know. I'll let you guys know when I hear back from them.

Did you manage to get the card in the end

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply