Time to Overhaul my PC

Zonalar

Budget (including currency): 600-800 swiss frankS (almost 1:1 to USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming, Photoshop, 3D Modelling, Rpg Games like Pillars of Eternity, Baldurs Gate 3, strategy Games, MMo's. Amateur audio recording 

Other details  

My PC has been a trusty companion, running windows 7 since 2012. Ive upgraded it gradually, but it reached its limit. The sidepanel prsctically falls off, the pc crashes if I have the tower standing, and not sideways. The GC and cpu cooler are so big its bending the motherboard. And the fans are so loud, you could think its a chopper and Arnold schwarzenegger is going to jump out and save me any moment.

My goal: Replace the motherboard, PC Case, get good and quiet fans, switch to windows 10 (from 7), increase RAM, plug in another SSD. I  want the case be more compact to take up less space ( micro atx or smaller), and for the pc to run cooler and quieter, as I use it for streaming as well.

I dont want watercooling. 

I dont plan to replace the GC or SSD.

I would upgrade the CPU as well, if its necessary with the purchase of the motherboard and if it doesnt blow my budget.

I already purchased an XLR microphone AT2020, a small mixer and microphone arm earlier this week, and hope to give my pc the overhaul it deserved three years ago.

Im using digitec.ch for most of my purchases. amazon always gives trouble with a lot of articles not purchasable from switzerland.

My recent upgrade attempt last year was a failure: bought RAM but the bios wouldnt even recognize it. Plugged in a 2nd 500gb SSD, but it wouldnt show, or pc would stop booting up altogether and generally be a hot mess to troubleshoot. Thats the main reason i want to give it a good overhaul. I have no clue what mothetboards or pc case are good and future proof, or how i can find that out. I fear ill be buying the wrong one and having to replace it because my old cpu doesnt fit (but im willing to invest into a new CPU if thats the reality of upgrading).

Current Parts: I will update details of current pc parts when im home in a few hours and can take a look

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 8.0 GB
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Motherboard: MS-7673 https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/P67AC45.html)

nzxt h210 would be great. A cpu upgrade can be done in your budget, a ryzen 7 3700x would be nice. For a motherboard you can pick up a rog strix b550-i gaming.

22 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

nzxt h210 would be great. A cpu upgrade can be done in your budget, a ryzen 7 3700x would be nice. For a motherboard you can pick up a rog strix b550-i gaming.

A mini-itx? Thats quite small. Ill check those out.

Can i get some more suggestions? Im totally on board for an ITx pc build, but now that im digging into it, i see a lot of different cases recommended that seem to be hard to come by.

cases vary region to region, availability for small cases is extremely slim in my country too. i just looked on amazon us. You can see what is available in Switzerland and see reviews and then go from there.

5 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

cases vary region to region, availability for small cases is extremely slim in my country too. i just looked on amazon us. You can see what is available in Switzerland and see reviews and then go from there.

I spent the whole day watch case reviews and decided to go big or ho home the NZXT H1.

This is gonna set me back another month scraping cash together, but watching mini itx case reviews, im confident that the luxury of having an easy-to-build case is going to greatly benefit me and speed up the whole process! I will go with your recommendation for cpu and motherboard.  :)

Honestly that PC is still going to run loads of stuff. I would wait till we hear from AMD about Ryzen 4000 and RDNA2 in mid-October.

Yah, but i feel that it would not be that big of a difference as am4 socket is used to its maximum potential with 3000 series. Even if you can get a nice bump in performance, the gpu will be a bottleneck and something decent would cost another 250-300 dollars. But yeah good recommendation definitely worth checking @Zonalar

2 hours ago, Excorcist_46 said:

Yah, but i feel that it would not be that big of a difference as am4 socket is used to its maximum potential with 3000 series. Even if you can get a nice bump in performance, the gpu will be a bottleneck and something decent would cost another 250-300 dollars. But yeah good recommendation definitely worth checking @Zonalar

Hmm yea ive seen Jays' video about the october thing. But honestly, everytime when i was thinking about upgrading, that wqs the case "just wait another month and you get X". Its very possible i need to wait anyways before i can afford all the parts, and I want the hardware to be future-proof for another 5 year without spending ridiculous amounts of cash. 

I dont quite understand how much the next jump is supposed to be with the announcement in october.

My pc still functions, and the more im looking into the mini irx builds and nzxt h1, the more i realize it might be better to replace the RAM and the SSD to tha NVMe ones as well, which adds costs to all corners and basically me building a second PC instead of iverhauling my trusty Can.

for windows 10, if you dont mind about having the activate windows water mark, then dont bother paying for it and us the money for other things.

yeah check this out

this is from pcpart picker italy, so like 600 swiss for everything except the gpu

you can use the 1060 only and wait for 7-8 months(gpu prices are the lowest after 6-8 months after their release not at the end of their life cycle)and replace it with a 3060.

Keep in mind that this is a micro atx build as the master box looked like a good deal for 45 euros.

The NZXT H1 has arrived. So im definetly going with that one, which also resolves the Powersupply and Cooling system. 
thanks for the PCpartpicker links Excorcist.

20200911_125131.jpg

I made the last purchase now. Thank you all for the recommendations here. I delved into various youtube channels to get more educated with LTT, Opzimum Tech, Jayz2Cents and Paul's Hardware.

Optimum Tech really convinced me on a mini ITX Case and on the NZXT H1 in particular. Yes its expensive, yes its bulkier than other mini ITX cases. But i hope it to pay in dividents down the line from the ease of assembly and upgradability. 

I went with the first suggestion in here: Asus Strix b550i Gaming (gotta use that tempered glass case by having a lightshow after all),

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB

And the Ryzen 7 3700X (I considered 3300X, but was out of stock).

Going to keep my old 500gb ssd to and my gtx 1060 to savw some costs, to be upgraded down the line with one 1TB... or even TWO 1TB m.2 ssd's down the line! This means i just keep running windows 7 for now when i stuff the parts into my new PC :)

overall spent a lot of money, but lm happy with the purchase overall! Im looking if i cant build a more costwfficient PC for friends of mine... my fiance could need an overhaul for her machine thaz runs shooters on 10 frames per second... mostly due to her motherboars being 10+ years old and mostly incompatible with newer hardware

Screenshot_20200915-113936_Chrome.jpg

And here a comparison of the PC cases for Prosperity.

20200911_130206.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 5:03 PM, Zonalar said:

Im looking if i cant build a more costwfficient PC for friends of mine... my fiance could need an overhaul for her machine thaz runs shooters on 10 frames per second... mostly due to her motherboars being 10+ years old and mostly incompatible with newer hardware

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy. Check this out.

Can you tell me the exact budget.