IM A LINUX NOOB

Go to solution Solved by TheJedi,

No Linux does not need to be activated, however, I have found when installing Kali there is always a problem with a missing file. Also Kali is very much for cyber security students and experts and I do not reccomend it for the tasks you have said. 

Also, it installs a lot of unnecessary programs on your drive, as well as not working as well as other distros. I have found installing applications to be a bit more tricky sometimes as it does not have PPA. You may not need this right away but it's something for you to think about.

I really reccomend Ubuntu for a Linux begginer for you. Its not too complicated but gives you the freedom to customize as you like and it is the most used Linux distro worldwide.

So recently I have saved up enough for 1 machine that I can just use for programs like folding@home and i heard it works better on linux, mostly cause it uses less ram, therefore saving me money. Just wondering, does linux need to be activated like windows? (I know you dont technically need to activate windows, but I just want to know if you should get a code or something to activate linux)

and i will most likely be using Kali, as it'll fit nicely onto my small spare blank 250gb hdd. i probably wont have an ssd in it. It is Debian based I think, which means it should be able to run folding, but if im wrong someone please correct me. also it will be using an oem hp compaq motherboard, which shouldnt be a problem according to my research, but let me know if I am wrong. Thanks!

No Linux does not need to be activated, however, I have found when installing Kali there is always a problem with a missing file. Also Kali is very much for cyber security students and experts and I do not reccomend it for the tasks you have said. 

Also, it installs a lot of unnecessary programs on your drive, as well as not working as well as other distros. I have found installing applications to be a bit more tricky sometimes as it does not have PPA. You may not need this right away but it's something for you to think about.

I really reccomend Ubuntu for a Linux begginer for you. Its not too complicated but gives you the freedom to customize as you like and it is the most used Linux distro worldwide.

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

8 minutes ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

So recently I have saved up enough for 1 machine that I can just use for programs like folding@home and i heard it works better on linux, mostly cause it uses less ram, therefore saving me money. Just wondering, does linux need to be activated like windows? (I know you dont technically need to activate windows, but I just want to know if you should get a code or something to activate linux)

and i will most likely be using Kali, as it'll fit nicely onto my small spare blank 250gb hdd. i probably wont have an ssd in it. It is Debian based I think, which means it should be able to run folding, but if im wrong someone please correct me. also it will be using an oem hp compaq motherboard, which shouldnt be a problem according to my research, but let me know if I am wrong. Thanks!

Linux is open source and free so no activation etc unless you go with very specific versions for enterprise etc. As for the components you'll be fine Linux runs on pretty much anything.... apart from macs from what I remember because Appple.

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Linux is open source and free, so no need to activate or license it. For the distro, Kali is intended for penetration testing and hacking. I am not familiar with folding@home linux requirements, but it will probably still work, it will just be loaded with tools you won't need. If this is your first time messing around with linux, I would suggest Ubuntu since it has an active user base and pretty good community support if you run into a problem.

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

apart from macs from what I remember because Appple.

Only on Mac's with a T2 chip and even on those it will run, just not on the internal drive due to the T2. if you have a T2 Mac you can run linux just fine from external storage iirc. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

Linux is open source and free so no activation etc unless you go with very specific versions for enterprise etc. As for the components you'll be fine Linux runs on pretty much anything.... apart from macs from what I remember because Appple.

Just now, The_russian said:

Linux is open source and free, so no need to activate or license it. For the distro, Kali is intended for penetration testing and hacking. I am not familiar with folding@home linux requirements, but it will probably still work, it will just be loaded with tools you won't need. If this is your first time messing around with linux, I would suggest Ubuntu since it has an active user base and pretty good community support if you run into a problem.

thanks everyone

Just now, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

@CloudPC guess that i got my answer in under 5 minutes thanks a bunch

No Problem, glad I could help.

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

Only on Mac's with a T2 chip and even on those it will run, just not on the internal drive due to the T2. if you have a T2 Mac you can run linux just fine from external storage iirc. 

Ah right, yea I don't really use Macs so it was just from memory from what I heard a few years ago so yea, also that makes sense for Apple

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more