MSI Laptop won't turn on. Charging light does work.

Last night, my brother shut down the laptop, and this morning, it won't turn on.

I've tried unplugging the battery, but it still won't work. The charging light does work when the battery is plugged, but no success in turning on the system. It should also be noted that the charging light will turn off after holding the power button for about 10 seconds. 

Laptop model: MSI GL62 7REX

General: i7-7700HQ, 1050, 8GB

Anyone got any advice? I suggest maybe the power button is dead since the charger is working just fine. Thank you.

Quick update:

I'll put a picture of the motherboard, for no reason. You can take a look at it.

20200907_135607.jpg

Edited by Azura Lightfeilt
Update 1

are you sure the system isn't turning on?  sometimes the computer turns on, but the display doesn't work.  Maybe try connecting it to an external display or TV to see if you get something.

10 minutes ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

I suggest maybe the power button is dead since the charger is working just fine.

11 minutes ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

It should also be noted that the charging light will turn off after holding the power button for about 10 seconds. 

sounds like it's working if there's a response from it, unless it's coincidence

any fan spin at all?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, Ceetch said:

are you sure the system isn't turning on?  sometimes the computer turns on, but the display doesn't work.  Maybe try connecting it to an external display or TV to see if you get something.

The fans didn't turn on at all, the light on the power button didn't display anything. The only thing that seems to work is the charging port and light.

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

any fan spin at all?

Nope. The power button has a light indicator if it's turned on, but it didn't display anything at all.

1 minute ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

Nope. The power button has a light indicator if it's turned on, but it didn't display anything at all.

might be a dead board if fans doesnt spin

you sure the power button is what caused the LED to turn off? or that's a coincidence?

chances are, the charging port is connected directly to the battery and has nothing to do with the system turning on.  Either power from the battery isn't making it to the system, or the system is fried.  I'd probably suggest leaving it to charge for an hour (keep and eye on it to make sure it doesn't get hot, since it's possible the battery is failing), in case the battery just got too low to boot the computer.

The fact that the charging light changes when you hold the power button likely means the button still works and is triggering the hard shutdown feature, often used when your computer freezes up and won't shut down normally.

2 hours ago, Ceetch said:

chances are, the charging port is connected directly to the battery and has nothing to do with the system turning on.  Either power from the battery isn't making it to the system, or the system is fried.  I'd probably suggest leaving it to charge for an hour (keep and eye on it to make sure it doesn't get hot, since it's possible the battery is failing), in case the battery just got too low to boot the computer.

The fact that the charging light changes when you hold the power button likely means the button still works and is triggering the hard shutdown feature, often used when your computer freezes up and won't shut down normally.

My brother always charge his laptop almost 24/7. Somehow the charger block doesn't get hot even when the charger is plugged in. Any possible reason on that?

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

might be a dead board if fans doesnt spin

you sure the power button is what caused the LED to turn off? or that's a coincidence?

Yes, and quick update: the light won't work after I left it for about 3 hours now. It was left charging with the light emitting blue colour. Charger block didn't get hot/warm whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

Yes, and quick update: the light won't work after I left it for about 3 hours now. It was left charging with the light emitting blue colour. Charger block didn't get hot/warm whatsoever.

yea i would send it in for board repair

36 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea i would send it in for board repair

I've just done a CMOS Bios reset. No sign of life. I think I'll send it to a repair shop

3 minutes ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

I've just done a CMOS Bios reset. No sign of life. I think I'll send it to a repair shop

you could try reseating the RAM

though no fan spin is normally a sign of board failure than anything

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

you could try reseating the RAM

though no fan spin is normally a sign of board failure than anything

I don't have a spare RAM to try that. Btw I uploaded a picture of the laptop mo-bo (if you're curious).

Just now, Azura Lightfeilt said:

I don't have a spare RAM to try that. Btw I uploaded a picture of the laptop mo-bo (if you're curious).

just take it out and plug it back in, in any slot

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

just take it out and plug it back in, in any slot

Just tried it, I held the power button and nothing happens. Light's still dead

Just now, Azura Lightfeilt said:

Just tried it, I held the power button and nothing happens. Light's still dead

yea send it for repair

you could try third party board repair shops, where they will diagnose and fix the board, instead of offering board replacement like most official service centre would. fixing is cheaper than swapping.

consider looking at a new laptop if it's too expensive to fix

Just now, Moonzy said:

yea send it for repair

you could try third party board repair shops, where they will diagnose and fix the board, instead of offering board replacement like most official service centre would. fixing is cheaper than swapping.

consider looking at a new laptop if it's too expensive to fix

Yeah, it's about 3 years at this point. Not very old, but not new either. Since my brother doesn't give much crap about his laptop, he often left it charging 24/7, forgot to turn it off, and don't maintain it often. I'll take it to a repair shop and if the fix is to expensive, I'll try to look for new laptops. It sucks tho, last night it worked perfectly, and in the span of one night, everything goes south really quickly. Thanks for trying to help bro! ❤️

• 4 months later...
On 9/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, Azura Lightfeilt said:

Yeah, it's about 3 years at this point. Not very old, but not new either. Since my brother doesn't give much crap about his laptop, he often left it charging 24/7, forgot to turn it off, and don't maintain it often. I'll take it to a repair shop and if the fix is to expensive, I'll try to look for new laptops. It sucks tho, last night it worked perfectly, and in the span of one night, everything goes south really quickly. Thanks for trying to help bro! ❤️

Bro, any update on what went wrong me too I'm facing the same issue, please reply

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2021 at 1:06 AM, Suyal_Ahmed99 said:

Bro, any update on what went wrong me too I'm facing the same issue, please reply

Sadly I'm having absolutely the same problem. The only thing I haven't tried is to try with a new motherboard! Does anyone had any idea what component might be dead or that might be the cause.