Does Keycaps Makes Keyboard Sound Different

MESSERR

im new to mechanical keyboard stuff, and i just got my first mechanical keyboard (ajazz ak510) and i want to replace the keycaps with the blank one so it will look cleaner. So my biggest question is does keycaps makes keyboard sound different?

-> Moved to Peripherals

Please post to correct subforum

No if the keyboard is well made. The keycaps should never hit bottom plate to make sound.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No the keycaps wont make it sound different.

It's the switch that make sound.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The keycap will make it sound different to a certain extend.  The material, thickness and profile will influence the sound.  Go around 10:38 ... that's interesting ... also go to the end, the typing demo is there ... and then watch the second video ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Yeah they will change the sound. How much they change the sound completely depends on the material, thickness, type (doubleshot, dyesub, etc), profile, etc.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

It will change the sound but not more impactful than the rest of the components. There are many factors to consider such as plate, switches, and indeed the keycaps.

As written above, the thickness, profile, and material matter the most, for example OEM-profile dye-sub PBT keycaps will sound remarkably different to Cherry-profile ABS keycaps.

I own multiple keycap sets and no two of them sound the same, as they are all different heights, profiles, materials, lettering methods etc. so you will have to be aware that keycaps change the sound signature of your keyboard if you opt for another set that is not the same material and height.

While the switch can be a factor of how a keyboard sounds, in this example with the keycaps, the keycaps do in fact alter the sound of the keyboard.

Take it from someone who owns a fair share of keyswitches and uses a single set of keycaps to ensure uniformity in the actuation, feel, and indeed sound of the switches I test.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

No the keycaps wont make it sound different.

It's the switch that make sound.

Wrong. The caps WILL absoultly make it sound different. As will the switch, and the plate, and case, and lube in side the switch, and any foam inside the case.