Am3+ cooler hardware for am4

Yatys 93

I have been using my very old fx 8350 build as my daily driver for a few months after selling my better rig to fund a year travelling that didn’t happen, system has been buggy for months but now totally crashes the second I touch the keyboard, full hard lock, have tried both keyboards I own and the on screen board all cause the same issue, I’m done dealing with it and want to cheaply get it updated, I’ve sorted out the parts I want to get but want to keep the Corsair H110iGT as it’s a really good cooler, obviously it is set to use the plastic hold down tabs on an am3+ board, do the tabs line up enough to use it again on am4? I know the holes are slightly different but since there’s no back plate or anything that won’t be an issue and google didn’t bring much up in regard to the plastic tabs

thanks all

Probably, i've installed a very old coolermaster heatsink for AM3 on a new AM4 system.

Turns out it's compatible with the clip method.

Just make sure the new motherboard has the plastic tabs attached.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, Tom_nerd said:

what are you going to screw the cooler into if there is no backplate?

It uses two clips that sit over the little tabs then two thumb screws tighten and hold it in place

image.jpg

ah ok then. yes that will work. as far as I know the clip size and position has not changed so should work

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Probably, i've installed a very old coolermaster heatsink for AM3 on a new AM4 system.

Turns out it's compatible with the clip method.

Just make sure the new motherboard has the plastic tabs attached.

It does, looks like I’ll be going with the msi X470 gaming plus max, over kill for what I’ll be using it for but I need the dual usb 3 headers and it’s the cheapest board I can find that has two

1 minute ago, Tom_nerd said:

ah ok then. yes that will work. as far as I know the clip size and position has not changed so should work

Ya I can’t find anything to say they’ve moved, but I can’t find anything to say they haven’t either lol

Yeah AMD never publish this publicly.

Kudos to them for making this work for old heatsink.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Yatys 93 said:

Ya I can’t find anything to say they’ve moved, but I can’t find anything to say they haven’t either lol

I'm pretty sure they haven't moved. and also some coolers can do AM3+ and AM4 so there is definitely a high chance of it working.