Is this piracy if i own it

theloveablemoose

So i own an Xbox 360 that i have flashed to allow me to play games i burn myself so far all games i have are those which have been ripped from the original disc (WHICH I OWN) but i i own a disc of black ops that i bought at launch that has been scratched to all hell so is this okay for me to download from an external source or is this piracy i don't really want to buy another copy considering i already have it and it fails the install at 60% so yeah 

Thanks

Its still piracy, usually local Movie Rental stores can repair game disk and DVD's for real cheap.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

If you buy a pot and you break it, is it ok for you to steal another one? :D

Who cares man, no need for moral justification, just do whatever you think is right, not like the internet police will stop you either way.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

So i own an Xbox 360 that i have flashed to allow me to play games i burn myself so far all games i have are those which have been ripped from the original disc (WHICH I OWN) but i i own a disc of black ops that i bought at launch that has been scratched to all hell so is this okay for me to download from an external source or is this piracy i don't really want to buy another copy considering i already have it and it fails the install at 60% so yeah 

Thanks

I think so since its essentially another copy you own without paying for it

Who cares man, no need for moral justification, just do whatever you think is right, not like the internet police will stop you either way.

Unfortunately you cannot think about it this way. You're talking about paying for a physical thing, with games you're paying for digital goods, even with a disc. The production cost is pretty low. This kind of thinking is why the piracy laws are so behind and everything is so cloudy with what can and cannot be done.

Technically at this time it is still illegal to download it even if you own it. But screw it, just download it. You wont hurt anything or get in trouble.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Yes, it's piracy.

@Cacao put it best. Couldn't think of a better analogy.

@scaryjam823 So you're saying because something is cheap to produce, it's ok to steal it?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Oh just to clarify i don't plan to play the game off of the burnt disc just use that to install the game and then play off of the original disc ill probably throw it away once the install is complete the disc int scratched enough that i cannot start the game it just does not load anything multiplayer, single player or zombies DLC maps included its essentially teh same as me borrowing the game off of a friend to install then giving it back to play from my own copy 

i think by now people should realise that thats not even accurate xD. copying something and stealing something is different. hes not actually taking something away from someone else when he does this unlike your pot story

Oh just to clarify i don't plan to play the game off of the burnt disc just use that to install the game and then play off of the original disc ill probably throw it away once the install is complete the disc int scratched enough that i cannot start the game it just does not load anything multiplayer, single player or zombies DLC maps included its essentially teh same as me borrowing the game off of a friend to install then giving it back to play from my own copy

honestly i think its fine for your use case if it works,

Yes, it's piracy.

@scaryjam823 So you're saying because something is cheap to produce, it's ok to steal it?

No I said that since the laws regarding stealing pertain to physical goods and games are mostly digital that the law hasn't yet caught up. And this is why there is so much confusion on the subject. His analogy is flawed, plain and simple. Do some research into it and you'll understand that his logic is why everything is so confused about the subject. The laws we made in the past do NOT apply to digital content. Digital content is something new and the laws need refreshing to catch up. Piracy is making a copy of something that already exists, not making another like his pot analogy. We are talking about cloning a game that costs nothing to do. This does not apply to ANY physical item in this day in age. The laws do NOT make sense for this and they need to be updated to provide some clarity in the matter.

Physical items are produced in a finite amount.

Digital items are and can be produced infinitely many of times with 0 cost except for time.

Piracy is making a copy, not taking anything from anywhere like the pot analogy. 

See the difference? Until computers it wasn't possible to actually make a clone of something, therefore no laws exist for it. We are in the dawn of this and they need to be revamped to settle things.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

No I said that since the laws regarding stealing pertain to physical goods and games are mostly digital that the law hasn't yet caught up. And this is why there is so much confusion on the subject. His analogy is flawed, plain and simple. Do some research into it and you'll understand that his logic is why everything is so confused about the subject. The laws we made in the past do NOT apply to digital content. Digital content is something new and the laws need refreshing to catch up.

Ok well what about a book? The value isn't in the actual paper you're buying, rather the thought that the auther transmits onto you. So if you burn your book, is it ok to steal another one? If you burn your game cd, is it ok to steal another one? If you burn your pot is it ok to steal another one?

Eh actaully just ignore me, I'm fighting against myself for no reason because in essence I agree with you :D

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

No I said that since the laws regarding stealing pertain to physical goods and games are mostly digital that the law hasn't yet caught up. And this is why there is so much confusion on the subject. His analogy is flawed, plain and simple. Do some research into it and you'll understand that his logic is why everything is so confused about the subject. The laws we made in the past do NOT apply to digital content. Digital content is something new and the laws need refreshing to catch up. Piracy is making a copy of something that already exists, not making another like his pot analogy. We are talking about cloning a game that costs nothing to do. This does not apply to ANY physical item in this day in age. The laws do NOT make sense for this and they need to be updated to provide some clarity in the matter.

Physical items are produced in a finite amount.

Digital items are and can be produced infinitely many of times with 0 cost except for time.

See the difference? Until computers it wasn't possible to actually make a clone of something, therefore no laws exist for it. We are in the dawn of this and they need to be revamped to settle things.

Sure, we'll just go your way, and eventually the companies will go bankrupt.

Whether it's written in law or not, you know it's wrong.

If I steal Bitcoin, is that illegal? I mean, it's not an accepted currency in most places. The law doesn't say "don't steal Bitcoin."

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ok well what about a book? The value isn't in the actual paper you're buying, rather the thought that the auther transmits onto you. So if you burn your book, is it ok to steal another one? If you burn your game cd, is it ok to steal another one? If you burn your pot is it ok to steal another one?

Steal - take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

Is something that isn't tangible considered to be property? Sure it is intellectual property, but what exactly does that mean?  The law is unclear on this. You can come with as many "good points" as you can think of. But they are seriously flawed and I suggest you do some research in the matter to become better educated on the subject.

@dizmo

The point of the op was asking if it was legal. He wasn't asking for morale support. HE was asking for legality, which is why we are talking about law... Just because something may be morally just or unjust doesn't give you the right to go with that wimb and ignore the law.

If a guy is beating a girl, you consider that to be morally unjust. But you can't go up and beat his ass in return because that is assault at the best.

When it comes to laws you don't involve what you find morally acceptable. You be unbias, morales are bias.

Since you don't actually buy the disc and you actually buy a license I don't see why the actual disc matters.

That's my view.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Steal - take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

Is something that isn't tangible considered to be property? Sure it is intellectual property, but what exactly does that mean?  The law is unclear on this. You can come with as many "good points" as you can think of. But they are seriously flawed and I suggest you do some research in the matter to become better educated on the subject.

The point of the op was asking if it was legal. He wasn't asking for morale support. HE was asking for legality, which is why we are talking about law...

Damnit I wish you would've seen the edit before you reply :D

Damnit I wish you would've seen the edit before you reply :D

Lol I am like a ninja, I already edited my post twice :P

you cant really compare it that way, ive the pot you steal/get is cloned/duplicated for free without someone else missing it, then it would be acurate.

its still piracy, but as a consumer id say you got the right since you paid and shouldnt feel guilty

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Lol I am like a ninja, I already edited my post twice :P

I, on the other hand, am slow as hell on my 4.7" phone display.... Tomorrow I'll stand a better chance on my pc :P

Thanks

OMG. What's wrong with all those moral justification threads atm?

Paranoid much?

Just DL it, install it and be done with it. Srsly. That's -1 Internet for you sir.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM. So technically it is "against the law" tho personally I would do it anyways.

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM. So technically it is "against the law" tho personally I would do it anyways.

Ya, you'll get 1yr of jail / MB you ripped.

Little advise, do what ever Bobba says. Bobba runs the place.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

@dizmo

The point of the op was asking if it was legal. He wasn't asking for morale support. HE was asking for legality, which is why we are talking about law... Just because something may be morally just or unjust doesn't give you the right to go with that wimb and ignore the law.

If a guy is beating a girl, you consider that to be morally unjust. But you can't go up and beat his ass in return because that is assault at the best.

When it comes to laws you don't involve what you find morally acceptable. You be unbias, morales are bias.

Actually, this entirely depends on the country. You can, in fact, be expected to stand in. It's called Duty to Rescue.

Are they often looked at? No, but they exist. 10 US states have such laws, at least requiring one to seek police/medical assistance.

It's also expected in the US that a spouse rescue the other if in danger.

Since you don't actually buy the disc and you actually buy a license I don't see why the actual disc matters.

That's my view.

This is the best way it's been put so far, actually.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I thought this was legal...Isn't this how people legally use game emulators?

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Yes, it's piracy.

it should not be considered piracy reason being ... it cost labour and money and skill to make that pot. so the physical pot is the item of value here. for the game the item if value is the game it self which in the op's case was not even broken. the dvd was broken  so how it should be is that one would need to buy back the same brand of dvd and then they would be allowed to make back a copy. ... here is another reason ... something like a pot can degrade over time (being physical) and would need maintaining or replacing. now a game well the code would never degrade or change without a developer doing it. so once the game has been made once, there is no need to rebuild the game from scratch to sell to another consumer.  so it should be logic that once a person buys a piece of software they should own it forever (because the software will last forever).    .       

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Keep the original.  Rent a copy.  Rip the copy.  Take copy back.  Done.  I see no issue here.

Laws only govern the honest.

That's my view.

This here is essentially the best answer imo. Although you are not technically buying the license either you are leasing it.

In my opinion it comes from the issue that laws were written by people who just don't understand the digital age. You cannot, I say again, cannot treat physical goods and digital goods the same way. Sadly, the lawmakers come from a time where the word digital was more or less unheard of.