Some questions about CPU management

After hearing and reading about cpu's losing their upper tier performance when overclocking just using the standard OC that happens automatically I locked my Ryzen 5 3600 to 3600.

So it stays at 3600 even when idle. While idle would my cpu use less power if that automatic clock manage were enabled or would it be the same.

Just so you know I have a 1050 Ti so gaming wouldn't see any difference even if I overclocked it.

8 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

After hearing and reading about cpu's losing their upper tier performance when overclocking just using the standard OC that happens automatically I locked my Ryzen 5 3600 to 3600.

So it stays at 3600 even when idle. While idle would my cpu use less power if that automatic clock manage were enabled or would it be the same.

Just so you know I have a 1050 Ti so gaming wouldn't see any difference even if I overclocked it.

Stocks on idle the CPU will lower the clocks to save energy yes.

Staying at 3.6Ghz at idle is probably using more power than the boost clocks up to the 4-Ghz range when under load. I'd just revert back to factory settings and let the Ryzen boosting algorithm decide.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

After hearing and reading about cpu's losing their upper tier performance when overclocking

???

While idle would my cpu use less power if that automatic clock manage were enabled or would it be the same

Yes, it would use less power. That's the whole point of letting the CPU clock down when not needed to run at full blow.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 hours ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

While idle would my cpu use less power if that automatic clock manage were enabled or would it be the same.

it could be lower, cpu's at idle lower their clocks even below the advertised base clock speeds to save power.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I would recommend setting voltage manually around 1.2v (up to 1.3v if cooling allows) and seeing what frequency you can get stable.
The cpu would use a little less power with automatic frequency range, but even with the frequency locked via the multiplier it has power saving features that make it effectively run at lower speeds thus reducing power draw.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

5 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

Stocks on idle the CPU will lower the clocks to save energy yes.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

???

Yes, it would use less power. That's the whole point of letting the CPU clock down when not needed to run at full blow.

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

it could be lower, cpu's at idle lower their clocks even below the advertised base clock speeds to save power.

Thank you all.