Cheap build for general use (Not gaming)

I am looking to build my parents a new system as cheap as possible.  The majority of the work done on it will be general web browsing and burning disks.  I already have a disk drive, and a HDD but need everything else.  They want a quiet system so a silence optimized case would be best.  

Intel has some real cheap dual cores like the G860.  I recently built a system for a friend based on that CPU, I found it to be very zippy when surfing the web and getting the system set up with drivers and updates.  My buddy has reported no problems with it.  Total budget came in just under $400 U.S, I'm sure you could find sale prices on components, there's a lot of good 1155 boards out there.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Assuming you're going for really low-cost and they're not going to be doing anything intensive I'd go with an APU, a relatively cheap motherboard, ~4GB RAM, and a cheap PSU. For example:

• A6 5400K
  • Asus F2A55-M LE
  • 4GB memory, Kingston HyperX for example (although pretty much any DDR3 will do)
  • Corsair CX430
  • Fractal Design Define R4 (if you really care about silence)

Not sure exactly how much this would come to but if it's under then you could step the APU up to an A8 5800K and maybe the motherboard as well. If it's over then maybe find a cheaper case. Hope this helped :)

Do you think I can do a system with an i3 (preferably a duel core) instead of a pentium for around the same money?

Do you think I can do a system with an i3 (preferably a duel core) instead of a pentium for around the same money?

You can its around the same price as a amd 4 or 6 core

You can its around the same price as a amd 4 or 6 core

which would you recommend?

At $300 (though I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me because this is a computer hardware forum) I'd recommend a prebuilt computer.

Why? Because unless you plan on pirating your operating system, a third of your budget will be gone to Windows 7/8.

At $300 (though I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me because this is a computer hardware forum) I'd recommend a prebuilt computer.

Why? Because unless you plan on pirating your operating system, a third of your budget will be gone to Windows 7/8.

Yeah one copy of Windows 7/8 would already use a third of your budget.

Why? Because unless you plan on pirating your operating system, a third of your budget will be gone to Windows 7/

You can choose from there apus or there fx 4000 line of cpus. or  go with jaypro i agree with him with the price. Its alot easier to find a $300 computer then build one i tried and i went over 450. It was on boxing day too.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22968906

This should be more than adequate for all media uses whether it's playing 1080p video or light editing. If you don't have a copy of Windows laying around and you're not going the pirating option either, you could use a free version of linux or replace the SSD purchase with Windows 7.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If it were me i'd go with an A6 or A8 APU, on a good gigabyte board and in a fractal design core 1000

i7-3960X@4.4 GHz, H100i (W/ AP-15 Fans), R9 290X , 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz, Asus RIVE, CM HAF X

I do have a Microcenter near me. They wont be doing anything graphics intensive so their is no need for an APU, which are more money. I would get one of them if i could not the 4100.