I3 9100f + b365m

Is the i3 9100f natively (not needing bios update) with a b365m motherboard? Planning on a cheap web surfer for my stepdad, I have an old gpu to go into it

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

No, all b365 boards have native support for 9th gen CPUs.

The vast majority of H310 motherboards also support 9th gen CPUs out of the box, though, since so many of them were manufactured after the launch of 9th gen. They're also way cheaper

19 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Planning on a cheap web surfer for my stepdad, I have an old gpu to go into it

You won't need a gpu for that, just use the internal GPU.

I would suggest a cheaper alternative using a Athlon 3000g, which has a better integrated GPU.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You won't need a gpu for that, just use the internal GPU.

I would suggest a cheaper alternative using a Athlon 3000g, which has a better integrated GPU.

OP already has an old GPU and the 9100F is way faster than the 3000g for the same price.

32 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Planning on a cheap web surfer for my stepdad, I have an old gpu to go into it

B365 does support coffee lake v2 out of the box iirc, for that workload you could just honestly get a used optiplex for cheap and that'll do the job. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

38 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

OP already has an old GPU and the 9100F is way faster than the 3000g for the same price.

Web browsing doesn't need that much performance, it will be highly satisfied with an Athlon.

Plus it has a better igpu and draw so little electricity.

Old gpu will only draw unnecessary power.

You really don't need it with either solution.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thanks!

To those suggesting parts,

The 9100f is perfect as its not "only" for Web surfing... slowly getting him into some gaming, im able to reuse spare parts at the moment (hence spare gpu) so all I need to buy is the cpu and motherboard which are on a deal atm in aus, hes getting a decent computer for less than the price of a cheap monitor 

The differences in power usage are also useless to our living situation, i was purely just reassuring it was compatible as I couldn't find an answer set in stone

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

15 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Web browsing doesn't need that much performance, it will be highly satisfied with an Athlon.

Plus it has a better igpu and draw so little electricity.

Old gpu will only draw unnecessary power.

You really don't need it with either solution.

Yeah, but he already has it. It's probably sufficiently old that there's no resale value, A 3000g will grow obsolete faster than a 9100F (yes, even for web browsing eventually). Rusing the GPU will also reduce e-waste, and we're talking about a marginal difference in power draw, that GPU is going to be basically idling. It also leaves gaming as an option, if his dad wants to play or he needs an extra PC at a LAN party etc.

4 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Thanks!

To those suggesting parts,

The 9100f is perfect as its not "only" for Web surfing... slowly getting him into some gaming, im able to reuse spare parts at the moment (hence spare gpu) so all I need to buy is the cpu and motherboard which are on a deal atm in aus, hes getting a decent computer for less than the price of a cheap monitor 

The differences in power usage are also useless to our living situation, i was purely just reassuring it was compatible as I couldn't find an answer set in stone

Yeah, get the 9100F, it's a great chip honestly, performs close to a 7600k for $60ish. What GPU is it? 

11 hours ago, Aereldor said:

What GPU is it? 

950, so it will definitely not be drawing much power even when gaming lol, perfect for basic 1080p games he would be getting into

11 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah, but he already has it. It's probably sufficiently old that there's no resale value, A 3000g will grow obsolete faster than a 9100F (yes, even for web browsing eventually). Rusing the GPU will also reduce e-waste, and we're talking about a marginal difference in power draw, that GPU is going to be basically idling. It also leaves gaming as an option, if his dad wants to play or he needs an extra PC at a LAN party etc.

Yeah, get the 9100F, it's a great chip honestly, performs close to a 7600k for $60ish. What GPU is it? 

You watch your tongue, mister. Nobody's allowed to say Intel is useful for anything on MY forums!

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 3 months later...

@DakotaWebber I bought an MSI B365M pro-vdh for very basic gaming (with my old GTX 970) and to learn video editing, and I paired it with an i3-9100F in November 2020 just to get started. It works fine right out of the box and does around 4.05 ghz at 55C to 60-ish C (with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED) when I virus scan my external hard drive.