Prevent auto-playing videos when switching to new tabs in Chrome

Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,

Enhancer for YouTube from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhancer-for-youtube/ponfpcnoihfmfllpaingbgckeeldkhle?hl=en-US offers this functionality. The options you are looking for are called "Automatically pause videos opened in background tabs" combined with "Pause videos opened in the foreground tab too".

I'm a fairly long-time Firefox user, and out of pure boredom I'm giving Chrome a shot, and there is one thing I DESPERATELY miss from Firefox.

In FF, you could open a whack of YouTube videos in new tabs, switch through the tabs, and the videos wouldn't begin to play until you told them to. Obviously this isn't the case in Chrome, since as soon as you switch to a tab, it will begin playing that video.

Is there a flag or something I can enable to make it behave more like Firefox? I've tried looking around for things telling you how to, but of course I couldn't find anything relevant, as the flag that comes up as being a potential solution got removed sometime last year.

If I have helped you in any way, please consider buying a Honda CRV.

4 minutes ago, Honda CRV said:

I'm a fairly long-time Firefox user, and out of pure boredom I'm giving Chrome a shot, and there is one thing I DESPERATELY miss from Firefox.

In FF, you could open a whack of YouTube videos in new tabs, switch through the tabs, and the videos wouldn't begin to play until you told them to. Obviously this isn't the case in Chrome, since as soon as you switch to a tab, it will begin playing that video.

Is there a flag or something I can enable to make it behave more like Firefox? I've tried looking around for things telling you how to, but of course I couldn't find anything relevant, as the flag that comes up as being a potential solution got removed sometime last year.

Having recently switched to Firefox, i used a plugin for youtube on chrome that had that function. (Not sure if was for all clicked video's or just the ones in another tab.)

I dont remember the plugin for Chrome. But you owuld need to find the one that fits you best anyways. (ive never liked youtube as is always use a plugin even with Firefox).
I dont think theres a flag to set tho.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Enhancer for YouTube from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhancer-for-youtube/ponfpcnoihfmfllpaingbgckeeldkhle?hl=en-US offers this functionality. The options you are looking for are called "Automatically pause videos opened in background tabs" combined with "Pause videos opened in the foreground tab too".

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

7 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Enhancer for YouTube from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhancer-for-youtube/ponfpcnoihfmfllpaingbgckeeldkhle?hl=en-US offers this functionality. The options you are looking for is called "Automatically pause videos opened in background tabs" combined with "Pause videos opened in the foreground tab too".

Exactly, altho youtube plugins are very personal at what they offer. So Don't try just the one. ;)

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

Firefox has this feature for a long time now, chrome sucks and i absolutely hate it. You should switch to firefox as it's a way more superior and convenient browser

Thats debatable, what i dont want to do in here.
But your statement is not correct, it's way more personal. Some ppl like the one, and other like the other better. ;)

8 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Enhancer for YouTube from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhancer-for-youtube/ponfpcnoihfmfllpaingbgckeeldkhle?hl=en-US offers this functionality. The options you are looking for is called "Automatically pause videos opened in background tabs" combined with "Pause videos opened in the foreground tab too".

Oh perfect. It may not be quite as seamless as what I'm used to, but it works. :P Thanks mate.

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

Firefox has this feature for a long time now, chrome sucks and i absolutely hate it. You should switch to firefox as it's a way more superior and convenient browser

No. You should consider putting even the slightest amount of effort into reading the post before commenting.

Just now, WikiForce said:

it does have it, i sometimes open videos in new and it doesn't automatically play them unless i switch to that tab

Yes, I'm plenty well aware. Like I said, if you would have read the post even a little bit, you would have picked up on something. Here's a hint:

I'm a fairly long-time Firefox user, and out of pure boredom I'm giving Chrome a shot

Alright, people makes mistakes. Lets not drag this along as a solution? has alread been put up. :)

Just now, WikiForce said:

oh right, i just replied after looking at the title. my bad.

Ah yeah, im guilty for doing that too. hahahaha