Is this CPU related ?

My story is that I had a fauly CPU that was making the PC restart, also running memtest86 on stock clock was showing errors from the first pass so I replaced the CPU. 

The restarting stoped but now there is a slight small freeze maybe 0.1~0.5 second while gaming, it wasn't there after I replaced the cpu but maybe 2 months later started to happen.

I ran memtest86 and got errors when using XMP got lots of error from the first and second run ( around 6 in the first 2 runs ) then i tried it on the stock clock showed only 1 error in the third pass and ran it another time showed also 1 in the 4th pass.

so my question is if the CPU might be also another faulty unit or is it most likely the ram as when I ran it on stock clocks error went down to 1 

Could also just be the memory traces of your motherboard. Some just aren't as good and can't sustain high frequencies.

Check temperatures, Hwinfo in sensor mode should show everything the board knows.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

13 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Check temperatures, Hwinfo in sensor mode should show everything the board knows.

speaking of which it idle on 49~55 and sometime jump to 60, it's ryzen 5 3600x and I live in very hot country. I tried to put a fan insted of the side panel but same temp lower under full stress tho. but can temp cause error in memtest86 ?

I was using the thermal paste with the stock cooler but I replaced it still same temps tho. 

temps in my country 40~30 

10 minutes ago, taku1101 said:

Could also just be the memory traces of your motherboard. Some just aren't as good and can't sustain high frequencies.

what does that mean ? traces i mean

7 minutes ago, ichihgo said:

what does that mean ? traces i mean

You see, all memory traces from the slot to the CPU are equal, but some are more equal than others.

If the physical connection between the slot and CPU socket is not protected enough or too long or of poor quality with too much resistance it becomes less likely to get higher and higher speeds without errors

4 minutes ago, taku1101 said:

You see, all memory traces from the slot to the CPU are equal, but some are more equal than others.

If the physical connection between the slot and CPU socket is not protected enough or too long or of poor quality with too much resistance it becomes less likely to get higher and higher speeds without errors

An interesting thought and holds some truth. Multi-layer PCB and thick traces helps.

Too bad we have no idea what the system is we are talking about. 

All we know is 3600X and tested some shit. 

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

An interesting thought and holds some truth. Multi-layer PCB and thick traces helps.

Too bad we have no idea what the system is we are talking about. 

All we know is 3600X and tested some shit. 

okay you got a point :3 

so specs are:

Motherboard: MSI b450 mortar max

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D60G 16GB (2X8) 3600 MHz DDR4 RGB RAM

GPU: MSI gaming X 2060 SUPER

PSU: thermaltake toughpower gx1 700w gold

14 minutes ago, taku1101 said:

so changing to the other 2 slots might help ?

3 minutes ago, ichihgo said:

so changing to the other 2 slots might help ?

well you should always run them in the recommended slots, but swapping just for a test can't hurt.

Also, I don't remember your board being particularly awful in terms of memory traces. I'd recommend you to wander around online and look for others that are running your board with that memory kit with XMP. That would validate that part. You can also see the QVL for your board, but keep in mind that those are not comprehensive as in complete.

1 minute ago, ichihgo said:

okay you got a point :3 

so specs are:

Motherboard: MSI b450 mortar max

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D60G 16GB (2X8) 3600 MHz DDR4 RGB RAM

GPU: MSI gaming X 2060 SUPER

PSU: thermaltake toughpower gx1 700w gold

Nice rig!! 

2x8 sticks belong in slots A2 and B2 2nd and 4th slots. 

-

Now with specs!! totally awesome.

The 3600mhz Micron chips are pretty good. These shouldn't be an issue.

However the Cpu memory controller probably doesn't like that speed.

Try the 3200mhz the IMC is known capable of, then overclock it. 

Also, I'm not familiar with MSI boards of today. But unless it's one of their top boards, I wouldn't lean on the trustworthyness to run XMP 3600mhz micron without some user intervention. Could be a few different things with the timings. AMD can get picky about certain memory timings. on and on we can go here.

Now interesting the cpu was replaced and the errors went away.

In the future, take a picture of the IHS plates of the old and new cpu so you can see the build date. Can kinda keep a track on which build dates might have had better I/O like IMC and IF capabilities.

Any how, 3200mhz. Try this frequency instead. Yes enable XMP, but just manually set the 3200mhz and see how it does there.

2 minutes ago, taku1101 said:

well you should always run them in the recommended slots, but swapping just for a test can't hurt.

Also, I don't remember your board being particularly awful in terms of memory traces. I'd recommend you to wander around online and look for others that are running your board with that memory kit with XMP. That would validate that part. You can also see the QVL for your board, but keep in mind that those are not comprehensive as in complete.

Thanks alot, will do that when I get some free time :)

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Nice rig!! 

2x8 sticks belong in slots A2 and B2 2nd and 4th slots. 

-

Now with specs!! totally awesome.

The 3600mhz Micron chips are pretty good. These shouldn't be an issue.

However the Cpu memory controller probably doesn't like that speed.

Try the 3200mhz the IMC is known capable of, then overclock it. 

Also, I'm not familiar with MSI boards of today. But unless it's one of their top boards, I wouldn't lean on the trustworthyness to run XMP 3600mhz micron without some user intervention. Could be a few different things with the timings. AMD can get picky about certain memory timings. on and on we can go here.

Now interesting the cpu was replaced and the errors went away.

In the future, take a picture of the IHS plates of the old and new cpu so you can see the build date. Can kinda keep a track on which build dates might have had better I/O like IMC and IF capabilities.

Any how, 3200mhz. Try this frequency instead. Yes enable XMP, but just manually set the 3200mhz and see how it does there.

But it did show 1 error tho on the 2666 MHz stock setting I don't know if the CPU need some sweet spot of ram clock but I can try to test it on 3200 Mhz but how can I do that without it do automatically normally I just go to bios and select one of the profiles, you meam I just turn it on and input the Mhz and volt manually ?

Just now, ichihgo said:

But it did show 1 error tho on the 2667 MHz stock setting I don't know if the CPU neet some sweet spot of ram clock but I can try to test it on 3200 Mhz but how can I do that without it do automatically normally I just go to bios and select one of the profiles, you meam I just turn it on and input the Mhz and volt manually ?

Stock setting will be 2133mhz or 1066.5mhz effective as shown in cpu-z.

_________

1st, set all defaults and resart. (or clear cmos)

Enable XMP. this will set up timings and voltage to 3600mhz.

BUT

You will just change the actual frequency to 3200mhz.

Yes you can set the mem-v to 1.35v manually to be sure it stays there.

Another setting you can use is in the timings menu (at least on my asus board....) and look for "Power Down Mode" and Disable it. 

This setting won't allow the memory to throttle voltage for power savings. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Stock setting will be 2133mhz or 1066.5mhz effective as shown in cpu-z.

_________

1st, set all defaults and resart. (or clear cmos)

Enable XMP. this will set up timings and voltage to 3600mhz.

BUT

You will just change the actual frequency to 3200mhz.

Yes you can set the mem-v to 1.35v manually to be sure it stays there.

Another setting you can use is in the timings menu (at least on my asus board....) and look for "Power Down Mode" and Disable it. 

This setting won't allow the memory to throttle voltage for power savings. 

Thanks man, I'll have to try that in next week end tho because of work. I might get back to you for help of you don't mind :)

1 minute ago, ichihgo said:

Thanks man, I'll have to try that in next week end tho because of work. I might get back to you for help of you don't mind :)

If available, sure thing.