Building first PC after prebuilt died. Help!!

Talesworld

My prebuilt Alienware died and I want to upgrade I have a list from Newegg of parts I want to get. But just not sure if it's the best parts or good parts or even compatible could somebody help me? Lol any help would be great for first time PC builder please and thank you!!

cpu? ram? 

i am pretty sure that if you have money for that kind of b450 board you might as well buy a x570 board.

also make sure you have a ssd

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

4 minutes ago, Talesworld said:

My prebuilt Alienware died and I want to upgrade I have a list from Newegg of parts I want to get. But just not sure if it's the best parts or good parts or even compatible could somebody help me? Lol any help would be great for first time PC builder please and thank you!!

Do you happen to have a PCPartPicker list for the build? Not all the items are showing in your screenshot. I also wouldn't recommend buying all your parts from Newegg if possible. Their shipping can be kind of sketchy from what I've heard. If you're in the US, Amazon and Best Buy would be your best sources to buy parts (or microcenter if you have one near you).

If you don't have a PCPartPicker list, go ahead and make one here and share the link to it. It will help people on the forum to give you better feedback on the parts you've chosen: https://pcpartpicker.com/

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

What types game do you played, desired resoultion, budget, and are there any parts your able to bring from the Alienware PC? Also new GPUs are dropping soon, and black friday is coming up soon too.

23 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

cpu? ram? 

i am pretty sure that if you have money for that kind of b450 board you might as well buy a x570 board.

also make sure you have a ssd

I have this list how does this look?

23 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Do you happen to have a PCPartPicker list for the build? Not all the items are showing in your screenshot. I also wouldn't recommend buying all your parts from Newegg if possible. Their shipping can be kind of sketchy from what I've heard. If you're in the US, Amazon and Best Buy would be your best sources to buy parts (or microcenter if you have one near you).

If you don't have a PCPartPicker list, go ahead and make one here and share the link to it. It will help people on the forum to give you better feedback on the parts you've chosen: https://pcpartpicker.com/

I do now thanks you how does this look? 

19 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

What types game do you played, desired resoultion, budget, and are there any parts your able to bring from the Alienware PC? Also new GPUs are dropping soon, and black friday is coming up soon too.

My old Alienware is about six years old with an GTX like 750 and the CPU is an i7 oldir it's and old Alienware area 51 and I usually okay action games. 

3 minutes ago, Talesworld said:

if you are going to have a second drive, I would recommend a hard drive or atleast a hybrid. are you going to use stock cooler? also what is your budget?

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

6 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

if you are going to have a second drive, I would recommend a hard drive or atleast a hybrid. are you going to use stock cooler? also what is your budget?

My budget is 1500 and yes I was planning on using stock cooler unless that's a bad idea? And okay so go with normal hard drive?

Just now, Talesworld said:

My budget is 1500 and yes I was planning on using stock cooler unless that's a bad idea? And okay so go with normal hard drive?

it isnt a bad idea. just not a great one if you are planning to overclock or your climate is really hot. yeah. you might be able to get a larger drive for the same price i think.

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

6 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

it isnt a bad idea. just not a great one if you are planning to overclock or your climate is really hot. yeah. you might be able to get a larger drive for the same price i think.

I'ma jump back into searching for drives and a cooler hopefully!!! Thank you so much lol I'll get back to you. Lol

Just now, Talesworld said:

I'ma jump back into searching for drives and a cooler hopefully!!! Thank you so much lol I'll get back to you. Lol

gl 

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

you can save about 100$ on the windows key by getting a win 10 pro key off ebay for 5-10$. list seems okay otherwise, keep in mind new cpu's and gpu's are going to be released over the next month or two.

- get a cheep windows keys.

- 750w is not needed, go for 550w.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

There's quite a lot of possible tips depending on what you know already. Building a PC is easy, doing an outstanding job on it is hard. It requires knowlegde of science, physics, math, marketing, engineering and everything in between. So with this I'm expecting you know your way around a little bit, but definitly not from a "customize everything" standpoint.

Here are some tips:

1. Please follow one of Linus's many build guides.

2. I know it's hard if you don't know all the ins and outs, but try to use common sense. If you're forcing something, you're probably doing it wrong. Stay calm with the USB 3 and 24-pin cables. Look up in the manual of the motherboard what slots 0 and 1 for the RAM slots are, place them in them; and then look up where the teeny tiny cables from the case go. They usually have a small black arrow on 1 side which indicates which wire is the positive one.

3. Spend a few days learning how power supplies work. The science behind it (please check the brand of capacitors used), the costs of your machine, why it costs that much, and please take a fully modulair one at this point. Check if you can hook everything up properly. If your motherboard asks for a 8-pin CPU connector, please put in 8-pins. If your graphics card asks for 2x 8-pins, please plug in all 16 of them, in parralel, without the need for adapters anywhere. Here you can learn about the connectors and what they do, but also watch linus's videos about PSU's and learn about efficiency because that will impact energy consumption invoice greatly, and the enviroment ofcourse: Playtool Link

4. Think about your enviroment in the sense of "do I have space for the case?". Is the RGB and / or shining light through the window going to annoy me (yes, the will)? Are the fans too loud (run it at full load for a while)? Do I want something that looks like a Mac and maybe passive cooling (Streacom or something like that, but it is expensive, make sure nothing has a fan in your system otherwise it's pointless)? Do I have speakers? A good monitor? A desk? A good chair (really important!)? A good ergonomic mouse and keyboard (If you're 3D modelling look up a SpaceMouse)? Do I want as mat (plastic) or glossy (glass) monitor (depends on the person, I regret buying a mat one. Your phone's glossy, your school monitors are mat.)

5. Buy your parts somewhere where you can build and test it yourself or let it be built by someone else, so you can directly swap out parts free of charge that have coil whine. It is the devil. It is usually caused by a graphics card, but a power supply is also a possibility. I know it costs extra and 'you didn't built it yourself' but if it's 50 bucks more than the retail price of the parts I would say suck it up cause it can save you a lot of time and headaches troubleshooting the damn thing.

6. Check PC Part Picker for compatibility.

7. If you got a wireless mouse, make sure the distance to the receiver is as short as possible because any possible interference will interfere. Put nothing in between!

8. Your Microsoft Windows 10 License is a Home edition and OEM, meaning 3 things: 1. If you're gonna spend that much on a license, buy the Pro version for a little bit more from Microsoft themselves. They will actually provide proper support if you need help. 2. You chose an OEM version meaning the seller needs to support you when you have problems with Windows, which they probably won't. 3. So if you're going OEM, just buy the 10 moneys one, Pro version. You're litterally getting ripped of with the 100 moneys Home version.

9. Write down the reasons why you need each part and why not a cheaper or more expensive one. Does it do the job that it needs to do and how well? Are there alternative solutions to the problem you are chasing?

10. Make sure it has proper WiFi if you need it. If you're in an area with lots of devices or bad connection it will be slow. So either invest in a WiFi 6 / Bluetooth 5.1 module (if they exist, idk) or run a cable from your modem / router downstairs to a 2nd router upstairs. Make sure there's no modem in it or it probably won't work. Thrift stores sometimes have 100mbps Sitecom routers for 2 moneys. If you already got your motherboard without wifi but still need it, buy a dongle or module with proper antenna's like that WiFi 6 card.

11. Don't forget about Microsoft Office, it ain't free.

12. Buy that controller. Pretty much the only genre for mouse and keyboard are first person shoots. Everyhting else is best played with a controller.

13. Do you want to overclock? Check your chipset compatibility and motherboard experience / reviews, maybe the phases on your motherboard, and if you're PSU can handle the Wattage you're pulling. Make sure the CPU power socket has all 8-pins plugged in. 4-pins is probably not enough to carry the Amperage. I suggest you just don't and keep the warranty. Even if it is safe and easy you're still losing years of your CPU's life. You might need those in times of low income when you don't have money to buy a new PC.

14. MSI is usually pretty expensive. Compare it to other videocards, sort from cheapest to most expensive. It can differ about 100 moneys or more while only losing 5 frames max. No that's not going to impact your experience. You can buy 200 copies of Shrek for that money. C'mon, common sense. Look up prices at PCPartPicker.com

15. Once you receive it, directly check if everything works properly. Connect the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and PSU; and check if it boots. Turn it off, connect the GPU and check again. Turn it off and then put it in the case. Always stay grounded and work in a proper, clean enviroment. Don't wear static clothing like wool.

16. Nothing, that's all, I've been writing for way too long. It's 3:34 I'm going to bed. GN

BTW that hard drive is really very slow. Take 7200rpm as the absolute minimum. And check which key your SSD is and what your motherboard accepts.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Newegg) just as good and lets you sync up RGB with the graphics card you picked.
Memory: Patriot Viper 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3400 CL16 Memory  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon) on par with the 970 evo.
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) faster than the 860 evo.
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($549.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1462.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-29 22:03 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

-= Topics merged =-

One topic is enough to discuss the same issue.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER