Can I have wired for file transfers and wifi for internet?

gmgq23

So I just got a new computer, fully loaded, pretty happy with it.

The computer is only connected to the network and internet via wifi.  My router and NAS are upstairs (almost directly above the computer).  I get a 144Mbps wifi connection most of the time.

However file transfers are pretty slow.  Average about 5MB/s when I'm copying something to the NAS through wifi.  I typically download stuff to the desktop, then I want to transfer it to the NAS for storage afterwards.

There's no physical way of running Ethernet from the desktop to the router, so I was thinking of getting gigabit powerline adapters.  I know I could just switch entirely to powerline, but this desktop also acts as a wireless access point, so I need both.

If I get the powerline adapters, is there any way to make my computer automatically choose the powerline connection to do the file transfers, and keep wifi for internet, etc?

Thanks guys.

If you wire the computer to the NAS then it'll only be able to connect to the NAS over ethernet, and you can use wifi for the internet. So yes.

If you wire the computer to the NAS then it'll only be able to connect to the NAS over ethernet, and you can use wifi for the internet. So yes.

The NAS only has one ethernet port, why would I connect the computer directly to it?  There are several devices on the network that need to access it, therefore the NAS is connected to the router.

My next question is why don't you use powerline for everything...? :P

I know I could just switch entirely to powerline, but this desktop also acts as a wireless access point, so I need both.

The NAS only has one ethernet port, why would I connect the computer directly to it?  There are several devices on the network that need to access it, therefore the NAS is connected to the router.

Ahhh... I think I get you now. Still, why not use powerline for both the NAS and your computer?