Game libraries on NAS

Hello community,

i've recently build my very first NAS using FreeNAS and so far everything seems to work as expected. Now though, I want to install my Steam library to it and, well, it dosen't work...

I've already been through the main troubleshooting steps (reinstall the game, reboot both the NAS and the PC in various orders, reinstall Steam, check for file integrity and tinker with the firewall settings, which I stopped due to lack of knowledge tho) but it still gives me the same "access denied" error.

According to the FreeNAS Web UI everything behaves as normal.

Here are all the specs i guess you might need:

The NAS is set-up with one pool consisitng of one raidz2 vdev on which i have successfully configured a SMB-share.

Windows sees it as a network drive with letter Z: and its fully accessible, read- and writeable (steam installs games to it no problem only when trying to start them the above happens)

The NAS and PC are connected via 1gbE with a seperat switch.

I also have tried out different launchers (would appreciate your help with those too :D):

Epic seems to have similar issues, it installs just fine but cant find the install afterwards.

Rockstar crashes on the last bit of the install process (have only tried once tho - GTA V takes me 4 hrs to download).

Uplay straight up refuses to download to the Z: drive after choosing it and agreeing to the terms of use.

I'll provide further info as needed.

I hope you can help me :)

Thanks in advance

Acording to a Reddit post here (click) You should visit the following link and use that info.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/ee844140(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

The programs dont have the elevated rights needed to access the drives properly.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Steam can no longer see installed games once it attempts to run as an administrator. Try mapping your SMB share as an administrator by opening Command Prompt as an administrator and running:

net use <drive label> \\<hostname>\<folder> /persistent:yes

Source: https://anardil.net/2019/steam-library-on-network-attached-storage.html

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Well thanks for your replies, but so far nothing helped... I followed the instructions and all the steps worked out as expected but steam still doesn't seem to care.

• 2 years later...

@MarcelDaWayDid you ever find a solution? I can install my games to the drive (so it seems weird Steam can "write" to the Truenas but not "read). I get a permission error when trying to run the game(s).

So ive been there, the Most launchers today wont Start all the Games over smb, sry to Tell you that. 

some do work, the Most not. 

only Solution by now, iscsi blockdevices.

it gets alot wierder when you Plan on using deduplication or mounted shadow Copys for saved space 🙂 

my games library is an 4x2TB patriot 210 SSD ZFS striped array with 16GB Optane drive as dedupe and 16GB Optane as slog cache.

i made 2 datasets steamone and steamtwo and gave both the 8TB of space as sparsed capacity and made both of em via ISCSI available for

A) my main RIG 

B) my Gaming/inhouse/myownstadia VM 

image.png.06f54ad1a634046eca72562c51a6197c.png

image.thumb.png.d69e9d3d6a4972f9fbc7b1d0e3ad3492.png

In Your case just create a new Dataset and make it sparsed and use the iscsi wizzard to make it available over your network 😄

Jeff did a easy to follow tut on that.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

there is a nother option... build your NAS make a smb share and put an Virtual Disk on there and mount it where ver you need it.

Creating a virtual drive in Windows

Simply search Start for “Create and format hard disk partitions.” Go to Action, Create VHD, then Browse to find the folder you'd like to house the virtual disk (your SMB share) . You'll need to give this folder a name, choose either VHDX or VHD as the file type, and specify the drive size.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation