Upgrading an older Rig (new CPU vs Motherboard +)

Hey all,

I had to unfortunately downgrade my build after a pretty bad fire, using some spare parts I'd had been using for NAS/Media to get myself back into what has been very stable gaming. While I am still able to play most things on max specs, I'm finally getting to a point where I can upgrade again and so I'm looking for a bit of advice.

My current board is an older GA-990FXA-UD3 ,running an AMD FX-8120, and a  GTX 1070 GPU. I have seen pretty good things about the AMD FX-8350, however for the price point and it being what looks like the last relevant option for this board, it also might be better to just hold off a bit longer and bump up to newer gen hardware. My main concerns are depreciation of value, how long I'd be skating along on a new CPU, vs just overhauling most of the components and starting clean, and what makes more practical sense (not necessarily looking to go bleeding edge with this build) for daily use. Hopefully this is enough info for advice, but any thoughts are welcome!

if possible, wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer and decide which platform you want to move to, do note that you will need a new set of ram as well.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

What budget did you have in mind? Will you keep the case and storage or will you convert that back into a NAS?

Sorry about that, edited for clarity that the AMD FX-8350 is looking to be the most relevant upgrade if I stay with the same board. @TofuHaroto I had been considering the merits of that honestly, DDR3 while stable is certainly behind by a couple generations now, but not entirely critical if not necessary.

10 hours ago, Omaya said:

DDR3 while stable is certainly behind by a couple generations now, but not entirely critical if not necessary.

Well you'll need a set of ram because a ddr4 imc wont work with a ddr3 ram, but yea as said..

10 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer and decide which platform you want to move to

^.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

What budget did you have in mind? Will you keep the case and storage or will you convert that back into a NAS?

So it would really depend on the new board I go with honestly. Max budget would be flexible, hoping to keep it at $300 or less so I can make the change in a more reasonable time, but with the Antec 900 I'm currently using it's primarily built for ATX boards. Worst case yes, Id be re-purposing the unused components back to NAS usage, but it's not my current intent.

Well you can reuse that GPU as well so you would need a Motherboard, CPU and some SD-DDR4 memory.

MSI B550M-Pro - 106.- $ (you could save 20 or so on B450 but would loose the option to upgrade later)

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB SD-DDR4 - 58.- $ (16 GB should be fine for gaming)

AMD Ryzen 3 3100 - 119.- $ (hard to beat that price at the moment)

(newegg.com)

Total of 283.- $