Safe temperatures for DDR4 ECC Reg ram

Go to solution Solved by AndreiArgeanu,
3 minutes ago, user1337 said:

Today i got myself a good deal on used DDR4 ECC Reg ram (128gb for 150). I tested it with memtest86 for a couple hours and everything looks good. I decided to touch the memory and it was burning hot (i have not mesured the temperature). Is it normal to be hot? If not what can i do? Thanks for reading.

Generally speaking I believe the safe temperatures depends on the manufacturer but from what I've seen it can range between 70C and 85C so it is completely fine if it's a bit hot, but ideally make sure there is airflow in the case, specifically around the ram

Today i got myself a good deal on used DDR4 ECC Reg ram (128gb for 150). I tested it with memtest86 for a couple hours and everything looks good. I decided to touch the memory and it was burning hot (i have not measured the temperature). Is it normal to be hot? If not what can i do? Thanks for reading.

1 minute ago, user1337 said:

Today i got myself a good deal on used DDR4 ECC Reg ram (128gb for 150). I tested it with memtest86 for a couple hours and everything looks good. I decided to touch the memory and it was burning hot (i have not mesured the temperature). Is it normal to be hot? If not what can i do? Thanks for reading.

Hot to the touch is pretty cold for computer hardware-- if it were overheating, it'd feel like touching a pot of boiling water (since most things overheat at 100C). I wouldn't worry about it unless you start getting ECC errors.

3 minutes ago, user1337 said:

Generally speaking I believe the safe temperatures depends on the manufacturer but from what I've seen it can range between 70C and 85C so it is completely fine if it's a bit hot, but ideally make sure there is airflow in the case, specifically around the ram

What RAM is this exactly? Pictures maybe? DDR4 RDIMMs shouldn't get extremely hot though Linus has had instances where it did. I have 8 sticks of DDR4 RDIMM modules and they don't get hot to the touch at all. The IPMI reports them around 50℃ when the systems under load.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

What RAM is this exactly? Pictures maybe? DDR4 RDIMMs shouldn't get extremely hot though Linus has had instances where it did. I have 8 sticks of DDR4 RDIMM modules and they don't get hot to the touch at all. The IPMI reports them around 50℃ when the systems under load.

I am not exactly sure the model number (and i am not at home right now and i cant see it 😕) but they are 4x32gb sticks from Samsung @ 2133mhz CL15.

EDIT: I forgot that I took a picture of the ram! The model number is m393a4k40bb0-cpb4q.

2 minutes ago, user1337 said:

I am not exactly sure the model number (and i am not at home right now and i cant see it 😕) but they are 4x32gb sticks from Samsung @ 2133mhz CL15.

When you can a picture of the sticker on the side would be great.

I'm using 8x64GB sticks ECC Registered DDR4 from NEMIX. I just checked their temps all of them are actually sitting around 36~39℃.

I know the old Dell DDR2 FBDIMMs use to get really hot but with lower voltages comes lower temps so they shouldn't be that hot unless the motherboards overvolting them. Don't see why it would though.

When you can a picture of the sticker on the side would be great.

I'm using 8x64GB sticks ECC Registered DDR4 from NEMIX. I just checked their temps all of them are actually sitting around 36~39℃.

I know the old Dell DDR2 FBDIMMs use to get really hot but with lower voltages comes lower temps so they shouldn't be that hot unless the motherboards overvolting them. Don't see why it would though.

The model number is m393a4k40bb0-cpb4q. Also i set the voltage to 1.2v

1 minute ago, user1337 said:

The model number is m393a4k40bb0-cpb4q. Also i set the voltage to 1.2v

What motherboard are you working with?

What motherboard are you working with?

Supermicro X10DAI-O. 

27 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

since most things overheat at 100C

Not really?

29 minutes ago, user1337 said:

decided to touch the memory and it was burning hot

Not a good way to check and for the most part is not accurate, anything under 80ish c won't hurt the ram and anything over 50ish c could cause Instabilities. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, user1337 said:

Supermicro X10DAI-O. 

I have a very similar board IIRC the X10DRi-T.

2Rx4 1.2V is the same operating spec as mine yet yours are getting how hot according to the IPMI?

2Rx4 1.2V is the same operating spec as mine yet yours are getting how hot according to the IPMI?

Yes. Whats the temperature of your memory while stress testing?

In my server box with VERY insufficient airflow with 2xE5-2698v3's cranking the max temps I've seen were in the mid 50℃'s very low 60℃'s. If I had better airflow I know that'd come down a lot but even at those temps touching the RAM it isn't super hot to the touch.

Have you been in the IPMI? How hot does it say they're getting?

How hot does it say they're getting?

Around 70c

...idling?

Running memtest86

Just now, user1337 said:

Running memtest86

Let's get some idle temps. Let them cool down for a while. What chassis are you using?

Let's get some idle temps. Let them cool down for a while. What chassis are you using?

The idle temps are ~50c.

46 minutes ago, user1337 said:

I am using CM NR600. The idle temps are ~50c.

Much more air flow than my box yet worse temps. I don't know if Samsung manufacturers their own RAM chips or outsources it to the likes of Hynix or Nemix and re-brands it. It's possible the large chip in the middle is generating the heat. I know it sits inbetween the CPU and the RAM chips.