Have I bought too early? Corsair RM750x

chiller15

I've recently realised that my current PSU (Corsair HX750) was purchased back in 2011 and while working fine - I'm not sure I have faith in it as it's starting to wine under load and it's quite loud, with no PWM/silent mode. I've found a decent deal on a Corsair RM750x (which research suggests is a good PSU) for £100 and purchased it and delivery is today. Prices for PSUs are only increasing and could possibly carry on increasing for a while to come.

With rumours breaking that the new Ampere RTX cards will require a 850W PSU, I'm wondering if I've pulled the trigger too early. The 3090 is well out of my price range, though a 3070 or 3080 may be an option (replacing a 1080 Ti to play games at 4K60 on my TV. I'm not interested in high refresh rates at 4K as my TV only has HDMI 2.0b and monitor is 1440p 165Hz. Paired with my i7-9700K (no OC),  I'm hoping that the 3070/3080 has a lower power draw and this PSU is suitable.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

We don't know what the power consumption for these cards will look like, but for the most part, i wouldn't expect a 750w unit to not be enough, it should be enough though again, we don't nor can we know.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I don't think the 3070 or 3080 will pull as much power as the 2080Ti did. And a nice 750W PSU like yours will easily handle every new GPU. In fact, even a good 550W or 650W unit would be enough.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I don't think the 3070 or 3080 will pull as much power as the 2080Ti did. And a nice 750W PSU like yours will easily handle every new GPU. In fact, even a good 550W or 650W unit would be enough.

750watts isnt bad but I you play to sue it even more after 3rd gen then it might be a little low. and also have you  seen the 12v new motherboard standers?  you def need a new psu In a year or 2 if you want to upgrade 

34 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

We don't know what the power consumption for these cards will look like, but for the most part, i wouldn't expect a 750w unit to not be enough, it should be enough though again, we don't nor can we know.

Yeah, I know that nothing has been announced, I just hate buying things that I then have to replace a short time later.

16 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I am planning on running a little OC at some point, so 750W seemed like the right amount of headroom.

11 minutes ago, Dk SPYder said:

750watts isnt bad but I you play to sue it even more after 3rd gen then it might be a little low. and also have you  seen the 12v new motherboard standers?  you def need a new psu In a year or 2 if you want to upgrade 

That 12v standard will take years to come into general circulation (if it even does at all) and would likely be sold along side standard ATX PSU. It's not like the current ATX standard is just going to stop when 12V comes out, it'll be around for many years later, especially due to compatibility. Either way, I'm not going to be upgrading the main components again any time soon. This 9700K should last me another 8-10 years like my previous 2600K system did.

16 minutes ago, Dk SPYder said:

The 12vo standard will take a few years to make it into the consumer market, if it does at all. Intel has launched PSU standards in the past that never got traction and dissapeared again.

With this high-quality 750W PSU you should be fine for the next years. I got 10 years warranty on my RM 650x. I intend to keep it until the warranty runs out. I also intend to add a 3080/3090 to my system when the Ampere GPUs launch. I have no doubt my PSU can handle that. You can look at my signature to figure out my parts.

Since i got my PSU a few years back i never had to clean the dust filter from my case because the fan RARELY even spins up. This is a sign that my current 1080Ti and 3700x (both OC) don't even stress my 650W PSU. (Yes, i confirmed myself the fan does in fact work. It's just not needed because the PSU doesn't run hot with my system specs.)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Dk SPYder said:

and also have you  seen the 12v new motherboard standers? 

Still not a thing really and even if it got implemented it will take a long time to spread across everything. 

2 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

just hate buying things that I then have to replace a short time later.

I wouldn't expect you to need a higher Wattage one.  

But again we don't know. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

37 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

With rumours breaking that the new Ampere RTX cards will require a 850W PSU

Pretty sure that's not true mate.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Pretty sure that's not true mate.

Maybe not, though a lot of reputable tech news sites have ran with the story, with images from a supposed Seasonic modular 2x 8pin > 12pin conversion cable.

3 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

Maybe not, though a lot of reputable tech news sites have ran with the story, with images from a supposed Seagate modular 2x 8pin > 12pin conversion cable.

Yes, the 12 Pin is confirmed afaik. But i think it's also confirmed that NVIDIA will include the adapter from 2x8 pin to 12 pin because no one has a 12 pin connector on their PSU.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Yes, the 12 Pin is confirmed afaik. But i think it's also confirmed that NVIDIA will include the adapter from 2x8 pin to 12 pin because no one has a 12 pin connector on their PSU.

Yeah, though one the box of the Seasonic box in the picture, it states i's recommended to have at least a 850W PSU, which is where these stories have come from regarding power consumption. Hence my doubt in the purchase!

1 minute ago, chiller15 said:

Yeah, though one the box of the Seasonic box in the picture, it states i's recommended to have at least a 850W PSU, which is where these stories have come from regarding power consumption. Hence my doubt in the purchase!

You really don't have anything to worry about. Your PSU will easily power even the highest-end GPU when combined with your 9700K.

Just now, chiller15 said:

Nvidia and AMD's PSU recommendations have been way higher than what's actually needed for ages. They take into account people using absolute garbage PSUs to some extent. 

:)

21 minutes ago, Dk SPYder said:

ATX12VO is brand new, and laser focused as governmental and other organizations that have to abide by strict efficiency standards in many countries. It won't be a thing for consumers for a very long time, if it ever becomes a thing for consumers. Even then, traditional ATX power supplies will still be around, so there is absolutely nothing to worry about as far as buying a PSU today. That thing will be long dead before you have to worry about replacing it because of ATX12VO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

The most power I ever used with my i7 8086k and RTX 2080 ti setup was 546 watts and that was playing Assassins Creed Odyssey. 

In games that are mostly GPU like Shadow of the Tomb Raider I use around 450 watts.

Benches usually stress the GPU and CPU separately so they don't use much power at all.  

I bought the 1300 watt PSU to do some SLI tests with 2080 ti so not to run a single card.  Even my 1000 watt PSU was for SLI.

I only get 850s because they cost about the same as 750 on sale.

So I would not worry unless you decide to get a i9 10900k and overclock it. Mine has used 200 watts so far and I have not even overclocked yet.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV