Repasting raised temps significantly

Eigencentrality

I wanted to lower temps on a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ SE.  I installed an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV, and put some heatsinks on the VRAM.  I used Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.  The temps jumped from 40 to 80 immediately when the GPU gets going.  It keeps going up and throttles.  Putting the original heatsink and backplate back on didn't solve the problem. I tried again with Noctua NT-H1.  It didn't solve the problem.  I tried thick and thin heatpads on the VRAM with the original heatsink and backplate.  This didn't change things.

This isn't the first time I've repasted the card.  I've successfully installed the Accelero Xtreme IV on an R9 390. The only variable left that I can think of is to try yet another thickness of heatpads.

Does anyone know what's going on, or how to fix this?

40° isn't a lot, don't know why you felt the need to lower temps and repaste the card.

have you removed the paste completely every time you've placed the new heatsink/backplate on.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Looks like proper contact isn't being made?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

80C at idle? The cooler's not making proper contact with the GPU core.

When you put the stock cooler back on, did you also put on the original thermal pads, and made sure that all the screws are tightly secured?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

8 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

When you put the stock cooler back on, did you also put on the original thermal pads, and made sure that all the screws are tightly secured?

It used to idle at ~25C.  The moment I start playing a game it ramps up to ~80C then keeps getting hotter.  After 10 seconds or so it throttles to nearly a halt.

This happens both with the stock cooler and with the Arctic Accellero.  The heatsink makes proper contact.

It happens both with thermal pads on the VRAM and with copper heatsinks on the VRAM (plus the Accellero's massive backplate).

I lost the original thermal pads a while ago.  I've had the card for a few years.  This isn't the first time I repasted.

The only thing I can think of is that the temp sensors got messed up.  But, I can't figure out how that might work or where those sensors are.  I can't find any detailed PCB schematics.

21 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Conclusion:

I decided to clean the hell out of the card.  I got out the WD-40, rubbing alcohol, and a box of generic cotton swabs; put the NT-H1 on; shaved some thermal pads to just slim enough.  Putting it back together brought it back to the same, noisy but good performance.

The thermal issues I wanted to solve in the first place came from the VRAM.  I undervolted and overclocked the VRAM.  FPS shot up.  Still, the card is noisy when hot.