not my first PC but my first build

Fye

Hey all. I wanna give a thanks to Linus and his team for showing me how to build a PC, and this was my very first PC that i built with only youtube's help.

:: Specs ::

CPU: Intel i9 9900K 3.6Ghz (5.1 Ghz boost)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MA410M

GPU: Colourful Geforce RTX 2080 iGame (waiting for RTX 30 series to upgrade)

Motherboard: Colourful iGame Z390 VulcanX V20

Ram: 64GB (16x4) G.Skill trident Z Royal 3600MHz 

Storage1: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0

Storage 2: 16TB (8x2) Western Digital Red 8TB 5400 RPM 

PSU: Corsair RM850 watt 80+ Gold

Case: GameMax Autobot

Fans: 6 x 120mm

Monitor: Samsung CHG90 49" 3840X1080 144hz

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Main Mouse Logitech G502 SE

MMO RPG Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

As you can see I kind of missed up with cable management around the PSU, I found it to be the hardest part.

In terms of airflow, I started with a negative airflow, but then I switched to positive airflow and found the following:

Negative airflow temps (under load):

CPU: 59-68C

GPU: 65-78C

Motherboard: 36-39C

Positive airflow temps (under load):

CPU: 49-60C

GPU: 59-71C

Motherboard: 35-37C

If you notice that the top left fan cant be reversed because it will mess with the cooler out going hot air, so I left it as it is.

Please share your thoughts and comments about the build/setup, and any recommendation is very appreciated as this my first build

20200824_001947.jpg

pc work flow.png

mypc.jpg

Just some feedback/questions but it looks like a decent build :)

• Did you go for 9th gen because there were discounts with it being a generation old now?
  • Why do you need 64GB ram?
    • I have this but due to work, 3600 is a good speed but I try to ensure the latency is low.
  • For the HDDs, how does 5400rpm perform?
    • I believe most people go for 7200rpm right? I don't use HDDs currently but will be when arranging the NAS in my build.
  • The case seems like an interesting choice but not meant for aircooling. Were you planning to go with water eventually?
  • I had (have) a scimitar and I hate it, on paper it's good but I'd used it across 3 or 4 different systems and iCue worked so poorly with it.
  • In terms of advice, as the parts are bought it's a little difficult to advise. If you take the window off and take another picture it might help people advise with cable management.
  • The more software running on your computer, the more it will impact performance.
    • I imagine you have iCue, Gskill (can't remember the name, maybe TridentZ?), G Hub, Colourful likely have software and not sure if your fans are from them or use their own software in addition to these.
      • The software will for the most part not impact overall performance too much, the processing for them has a slight impact.
      • The issue is that they send out calls every so often which causes the impact to spike significantly which can/will cause stuttering or drops: 
    • Peripherals are often easier/cheaper to swap out than internal components and with OpenRGB, the need for separate software suites is becoming less necessary. If you do find that you have these issues, it would be worth looking into this.
      • To confirm, I have a 16 core processor and during initial setup after the build I set core affinity for these programs to try and ensure the effect would be lessened as I have Aorus, Razer, Corsair and Logitech running.
        • Thankfully for the most part, this seems to very rarely happen.

1 hour ago, Deuteronomy93 said:

Just some feedback/questions but it looks like a decent build :)

• Did you go for 9th gen because there were discounts with it being a generation old now?
  • Why do you need 64GB ram?
    • I have this but due to work, 3600 is a good speed but I try to ensure the latency is low.
  • For the HDDs, how does 5400rpm perform?
    • I believe most people go for 7200rpm right? I don't use HDDs currently but will be when arranging the NAS in my build.
  • The case seems like an interesting choice but not meant for aircooling. Were you planning to go with water eventually?
  • I had (have) a scimitar and I hate it, on paper it's good but I'd used it across 3 or 4 different systems and iCue worked so poorly with it.
  • In terms of advice, as the parts are bought it's a little difficult to advise. If you take the window off and take another picture it might help people advise with cable management.
  • The more software running on your computer, the more it will impact performance.
    • I imagine you have iCue, Gskill (can't remember the name, maybe TridentZ?), G Hub, Colourful likely have software and not sure if your fans are from them or use their own software in addition to these.
      • The software will for the most part not impact overall performance too much, the processing for them has a slight impact.
      • The issue is that they send out calls every so often which causes the impact to spike significantly which can/will cause stuttering or drops: 
    • Peripherals are often easier/cheaper to swap out than internal components and with OpenRGB, the need for separate software suites is becoming less necessary. If you do find that you have these issues, it would be worth looking into this.
      • To confirm, I have a 16 core processor and during initial setup after the build I set core affinity for these programs to try and ensure the effect would be lessened as I have Aorus, Razer, Corsair and Logitech running.
        • Thankfully for the most part, this seems to very rarely happen.

- I had the i9 on a very good deal from a friend of mine for $480 and I got the pieces about 5 months ago, before 10th gen was released.

- I do edit videos sometimes and render movies to 4k 60fps before i watch them so they are useful and to be honest i never used the full 64GB but i reached 50GB at one point, they are also very useful to game as when i play a game the system uses 20-23GB of ram (if you have a 16GB windows wont allow the game to use all of it to reserve some for itself, but when you have large ram storage the game takes what ever it needs to  run as smoothly as possible)

-The 5400 RPM HDDs are fine, I only  use the drive for storage and for games that i rarely play, that doesn't even require high end hardware to perform really well such as Frostpunk and other offline city building games that i play on steam, but my main games like RDR2, World of Warcraft, Sea of Theaves, Starwars Battle front II, Overwatch and big games are stored in the M.2 for max performance.

Most people say 16TB is overkill, but I dont like losing my files, so i have my backups, music, movies and files stored there, and right now i have about 70% of the HDD storage occupied.

- i had water cooling before, but i watched lots of videos and it didn't seem to matter that much i except if you were willing to overclock (which i'm not overclocking anytime soon) but in the near future i will give NZXT Z series  a try.

- For multiple softwares running in the background I dont keep them running the whole time (the ram and the keyboard have internal memory for the profiles, so shutting down the software wont make a difference on the hardware) but to confirm the Gskill software does use up to 10% of the CPU if it was running in the background.

Note that there is 1 software that allow you to control all your RGB hardware at the same time its called "JackNet RGB Sync" it's very useful, I'd recommend that you give it a try.

Thank you for the feedback though, much appreciated

Edited by Fye

Makes sense, in terms of NZXT, the coolers themselves will work fine as will any of the new Asetek ones.

You could save some money buying the same cooler with a different pump shroud if you don't care much about the design. The issue many people find with the NZXT (myself included) is that the stock fans are loud, if that's a factor you care about then I'd advise actually going for another vendor and swapping them out.

I was never bother by loud PCs, so ill go with the design, thanks for the advice