EVGA 650w GQ

Hello there, 

I have been recently looking at higher-end PSU’s, and have stumbled upon the EVGA 650w GQ. I would like to know if it is a reliable PSU (as in lifespan, power delivery, etc.). With this, I have seen a few bad reviews on amazon, though I know that there will always be dead-on-arrival  reviews. In addition, I want to know if it is capable to power a 2060, and I believe the minimum requirement is 550 watts. The specific GPU I am going with is an ASUS ROG STRIX 2060 Gaming OC. 

You should look at the tier list, it's ranked Tier C which is pretty good

It is capable to power a 2060, but it depends on what else is in your system.

It's a decent budget PSU, I would consider it similar to the Corsair CXM, and Be Quiet Pure Power 10/11. The 2060 is a $300 GPU, you can afford to get a good PSU. Get a lower wattage, higher end PSU. Even 400W is plenty.

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's a decent budget PSU, I would consider it similar to the Corsair CXM, and Be Quiet Pure Power 10/11. The 2060 is a $300 GPU, you can afford to get a good PSU. Get a lower wattage, higher end PSU. Even 400W is plenty.

Alrighty. What PSU would you recommend that would be better? Not so much of price efficiency but overall just good reliability

1 minute ago, Intel_Itanium said:

Alrighty. What PSU would you recommend that would be better? Not so much of price efficiency but overall just good reliability

Where are you buying from? As the availability and pricing will obviously vary, depending on that.

Do you also buy your GPU, CPU, motherboard etc based purely on reliability? Or do you look at actually measurable things, like the performance, noise, expandability etc?

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Where are you buying from? As the availability and pricing will obviously vary, depending on that.

Do you also buy your GPU, CPU, motherboard etc based purely on reliability? Or do you look at actually measurable things, like the performance, noise, expandability etc?

I am mostly buying from Microcenter. For the rest of my components, I am going for more performance. But for the PSU, I am looking for one that could last me a good while and can have good power delivery. I am not so worried about noise (but I obviously don't want a blower).  

I used one in this build, but she hasn't even used the PC yet! She's had some family issues and it's been sitting in the box in her room still. I do recall one issue was that the PSU fan was a little whiny on this one when it would auto start/stop so I just left it to run all the time at whatever the default speed was. Other than that, no problems powering the stuff in the PC and we'll find out how reliable it is long term because likely she'll be using it for a decade at least.

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I used one in this build, but she hasn't even used the PC yet! She's had some family issues and it's been sitting in the box in her room still. I do recall one issue was that the PSU fan was a little whiny on this one when it would auto start/stop so I just left it to run all the time at whatever the default speed was. Other than that, no problems powering the stuff in the PC and we'll find out how reliable it is long term because likely she'll be using it for a decade at least.

Alrighty!  Thanks for the info. I mean I probably won’t notice the noise since I’ll use my headset a lot for gaming and other things.

If you are buying from Microcenter, the NZXT C650 would be a better choice

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

3 hours ago, Intel_Itanium said:

Alrighty!  Thanks for the info. I mean I probably won’t notice the noise since I’ll use my headset a lot for gaming and other things.

It was pretty loud but I built the system to be super quiet and run cool so yeah you might not notice. It was almost like a squeaking sound but it was PWM fan motor noise as it slowed to a stop after running. I guess I'm probably more picky about those things than most though.

3 hours ago, Intel_Itanium said:

I have been recently looking at higher-end PSU’s, and have stumbled upon the EVGA 650w GQ.

Then you stumbled out of looking at higher-end PSUs.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Then you stumbled out of looking at higher-end PSUs.

OH yes, very much so... OMG..... You couldn't give me a GQ for free.... Might make a good door stop or paper weight...

I do have a G2 750 that is still new in box in my cabinet, came with my 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra package deal from EVGA. Already had the Prime Ultra Ti 750 so I never used it... And the Prime Ti 650 in the other machine so....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

GQ's not THAT bad.  I was just making fun because when someone says they're looking at "higher end PSUs", the GQ is not normally on that list.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

GQ's not THAT bad.  I was just making fun because when someone says they're looking at "higher end PSUs", the GQ is not normally on that list.

I know, I was just adding on. LOL :D

I wouldn't use one in a high end machine though...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.