Upgrading my almost 5 year old gamestation

Hey guys, I’m looking for some recommendations on upgrading on my almost 5 year old gamestation. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/b4HNnQ

The parts are all the same, except i got a 4K 120hz monitor, and a K95 Platinum keyboard. I can run most games at ultra but I’m running into lag and low FPS whenever I play Total War: Warhammer 2, and it turns out I don’t have enough ram for the game, but I also get lag and tearing in Dota 2 when a lot happens very quickly, making me fear there’s something in my system falling into obsoletion. 

I know definitely that I want more RAM, a few SSD’s, and a different motherboard, but that’s where I need help guiding my decisions. I have a quadcore Xeon E3-1231 that runs at 3.791mhz and a MSI R9 390 (8GB). Is this prepared for next generation games? Are there any noticeable bottlenecks I can improve? Should I look into new processing units? Am I better off on crossfire? Or is my build fine and it’s more than like my low FPS likely being caused by not enough RAM and I’m overreacting? 

I’m also still running DDR3 ram. Is the difference in memory worth switching? Sorry about the bombardment of questions and thanks for your time. 

No no no no no and no.

If you have coin, don't upgrade on a ddr3 platform.

Get a nice little Ryzen build, some DDR4 and you'll have FPS your R9 390 has never produced before. Keep and upgrade what you have, the FPS will still be the same.

do you have a GPU? also, id wait until the next generation releases soon to purchase anything

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No no no no no and no.

If you have coin, don't upgrade on a ddr3 platform.

Get a nice little Ryzen build, some DDR4 and you'll have FPS your R9 390 has never produced before. Keep and upgrade what you have, the FPS will still be the same.

Thanks for keeping it simple. I can salvage pretty much everything else besides the CPU, motherboard, and RAM. 

4 minutes ago, rapidkillerx said:

do you have a GPU? also, id wait until the next generation releases soon to purchase anything

I have a MSI R9 390. 

1 minute ago, Kidiosko said:

Thanks for keeping it simple. I can salvage pretty much everything else besides the CPU, motherboard, and RAM. 

what is your budget on the parts?

Well I think you're on a budget. So you have options a plenty actually.

Ryzen 1st and 2nd generation would be a great step forward. DDR4 memory is cheap. Sell the ddr3 and cpu you have no to offset the spending a little bit. You'll really enjoy that. 

I used a Ryzen 4 1400 4/8 core/thread for HTPC/gaming and a GTX 980 for a couple of years. Did just fine. If you can find this cheap and a B450 motherboard, you'll have a night and day difference in experience :)

3 minutes ago, alirafi321 said:

what is your budget on the parts?

$1500-1800 USD 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well I think you're on a budget. So you have options a plenty actually.

Ryzen 1st and 2nd generation would be a great step forward. DDR4 memory is cheap. Sell the ddr3 and cpu you have no to offset the spending a little bit. You'll really enjoy that. 

I used a Ryzen 4 1400 4/8 core/thread for HTPC/gaming and a GTX 980 for a couple of years. Did just fine. If you can find this cheap and a B450 motherboard, you'll have a night and day difference in experience :)

I have a decent enthusiast budget I was just a little too arrogant and thought I could find a "quick-fix" by swapping three things. 

$1500-1800 USD 

I have a decent enthusiast budget I was just a little too arrogant and thought I could find a "quick-fix" by swapping three things. 

if u r on that kind of budget , you can build a beast machine ....... let me know if i should post a pc part picker list for a NEW pc

Just now, Kidiosko said:

$1500-1800 USD 

Well then, F.M., you're gonna be doing just fine. lol. 

11 minutes ago, Kidiosko said:

$1500-1800 USD 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gZXhV7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($283.55 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($75.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB KO GAMING Video Card  ($739.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($106.50 @ Walmart) 
Total: $1573.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

you can change the case if u want according to your preferences ........

6 minutes ago, alirafi321 said:

if u r on that kind of budget , you can build a beast machine ....... let me know if i should post a pc part picker list for a NEW pc

Feel free, but I also have another question, since I already have an R9 390 would crossfiring 2 or even 3 cards be a competitive alternative VS a high end card like a GTX 2080ti? 

3 minutes ago, Kidiosko said:

Feel free, but I also have another question, since I already have an R9 390 would crossfiring 2 or even 3 cards be a competitive alternative VS a high end card like a GTX 2080ti? 

i dont know the answer to this qn , but i believe you cant reach the performance of a rtx 2080ti , and dont buy a gpu as of now since rtx 3000 series cards will be coming out on august 31st