ROG Rig Reboot (Past and present) and it's unfairness

Devaiah K K

Mr. Linus Sebastian

I do not know if this is the appropriate way of contacting LMG, but the email and contact us page isn't opening for some reason, (It may be my network problem but you should look into that).

LMG has done the ROG Rig Reboot for few years now. But the criteria of participation has been making a video to show why you need a PC.

Well, what if a person CANT make a video? What if a person has skills but makes uses it through School or through friends computers? What if the person was atleast okay with that minimal access but can't do that due to the pandemic now? I've done tons of work for my school magazine and computer science is part of my curriculum (The 12th std important type in our CBSE syllabus). And learning and running python through a phone sucks. 

If you or anyone at LMG ever reads this and thinks for some reason thinks "Oh! This kid needs a PC!", then please be kind enough to reply and I shall try to make a phone edited ppt or a really good essay on the hand-me-down, Moto G4 who's battery doesn't work so it has to be plugged in all the time and will still die if sim card is put in it, unsuccessfully rooted (deleted android in the process) and running lineage os, it has lots of screen burn ins, although YouTube does run on it.

Hope the 2020 edition of ROG Rig Reboot happens soon, so that I can actually play games Instead of seeing the gameplay walkthroughs. PLEASE let there be a chance of international candidates again.

Regards

Devaiah K K

Bengaluru, India

1 hour ago, Devaiah K K said:

LMG has done the ROG Rig Reboot for few years now. But the criteria of participation has been making a video to show why you need a PC.

Well, what if a person CANT make a video? What if a person has skills but makes uses it through School or through friends computers? What if the person was atleast okay with that minimal access but can't do that due to the pandemic now?

Have you seen the different winning videos from the past couple years? These require minimal to no video editing (using free tools which are available), which any simple computer/laptop can run. With enough dedication, you don't even need to edit (by just stitching together a couple videos you shot on your phone).

See these videos for some inspiration I suppose: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2SPnz4NivebbXjiidUxuB9XQvKJ24xcP

Don't limit yourself by preconceived limitations you set yourself. ROG Reboot (in my opinion) should be about creativity, not about skills in editing and such. These skills in editing can help, but the main video idea is still the most important part.

Since you are already suggesting writing an essay, why not take that idea and turn it into a video instead? Reading off a 1 minute script to your phone, recording a bit of accompagnying footage and throw it together in a simple video editing program. That is the ROG Reboot video formula they seem to be looking for.

So in short, don't think in limitations; think in possibilities.

Don't think about what's impossible, think about what you can do and use your creative skills to create a video.

I think you should definitely check out this video:

Minimal video editing, pretty good script, excellent transitions between scenes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Do you own a phone?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Sounds like begging to me...

You have a smartphone it seems, so you can do all of your filming and editing on that. Not gonna be easy or pretty. But as long as you show effort and genuine enthusiasm, you'll definitely be considered out of the millions of others. You can literally use the fact that you don't own a PC to your advantage. Make one out of cardboard and then throw something like a Nintendo DS in there and call it your "epic rgb rainbowclad professional gamer build". Or go to your local e-waste facility and buy a dirt cheap PC from there to film with. Get something decent enough, and you could just do your editing on that too.

3 hours ago, Devaiah K K said:

Hope the 2020 edition of ROG Rig Reboot happens soon

I doubt ROG Rig Reboot will take place this year.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I'm sorry, but I have to lock this one. For couple of reasons. One, you are essentially begging or asking specific style of giveaway. This is not allowed on forums. If it would, everyone would be doing it constantly. Second reason is that we have megathread for speculation of next event. As there's no official announcement for or against holding it this years:

Final reason is the cold reality of the world. I'm leaving this otherwise as is, since we do allow and even encourage criticism on LMG and what they do. This is somewhat valid on that part. But in the end LMG is just the front. Asus is the money-man. Now, we don't know how much of video part is Asus' requirements.

In the end and considering how many do enter, only 3 may win it. Chances are still slim, and would be even slimmer if they would allow multiple types of entries.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv