How to get the cpu speed advertised on the specs of the laptop?

Hey guys, so I have a HP Notebook 15 and it has a Intel® Core i5 8265U CPU. The specs say that the CPU has 1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. How do I achieve that 3.9 GHz speed? Do I have to overclock? Is it an automatic thing the laptop does? Would it improve my laptop's performance or not and would it affect my laptop in any negative way?

It's automatic when the thermals and demand on the CPU allow basically. If the CPU gets too hot then the boost speed will drop down towards the base. If there is no load on the CPU then it won't boost up to that level either (If I remember right)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It automatically hits that speed. IIRC it should only happen when your laptop is plugged in. Purpose of turbo boost is to improve performance if certain conditions are met (like type of load, temperatures, package power limits, etc).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

It automatically hits that speed. IIRC it should only happen when your laptop is plugged in. Purpose of turbo boost is to improve performance if certain conditions are met (like type of load, temperatures, package power limits, etc).

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's automatic when the thermals and demand on the CPU allow basically. If the CPU gets too hot then the boost speed will drop down towards the base. If there is no load on the CPU then it won't boost up to that level either (If I remember right)

Ohhh ok, cause I was hoping to use that to get better performance (firefox takes 10 mins to properly load and then 20 mins more to get into a YT vid) . But luckily I'm going to add 4GB RAM and a SSD in a couple of days, hopefully that helps. Thx for the replies!

8 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

How do I achieve that 3.9 GHz speed

turbo speed only occurs for 1 core, while others are not boosted

13 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

turbo speed only occurs for 1 core, while others are not boosted

Usually other cores have lower turbo speeds, but will still turbo.

The 8265 will 1 core turbo to 3.9, the rest will turbo to 2.3.

1 hour ago, PrimeMinister said:

(firefox takes 10 mins to properly load and then 20 mins more to get into a YT vid

If those are clocked times and not hyperbole, something is seriously wrong

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

I have to agree with OddOod. If those times are legit, then there is either something wrong with the hardware, or software.

If your OS is borked, a fresh install might help. 

10 hours ago, PrimeMinister said:

Ohhh ok, cause I was hoping to use that to get better performance (firefox takes 10 mins to properly load and then 20 mins more to get into a YT vid) . But luckily I'm going to add 4GB RAM and a SSD in a couple of days, hopefully that helps. Thx for the replies!

Yeah, how much RAM do you have? Is it one stick or two? Judging by what you're saying, it's an HDD in there, which doesn't help things either.

18 hours ago, OddOod said:

If those are clocked times and not hyperbole, something is seriously wrong

It takes about that time usually (about 10 -20 mins) but really it is a massive struggle to browse on it. Idk why it's so slow.

8 hours ago, panzersharkcat said:

Yeah, how much RAM do you have? Is it one stick or two? Judging by what you're saying, it's an HDD in there, which doesn't help things either.

I have 1 stick of 4GB DDR3 RAM 2400MHz. Yeah the laptop worked relatively fine the first few weeks but then it started to get slow as hell.

2 hours ago, PrimeMinister said:

I have 1 stick of 4GB DDR3 RAM 2400MHz. Yeah the laptop worked relatively fine the first few weeks but then it started to get slow as hell.

Yeah, 4 gigs is really basically unusable in my experience, with all the programs I have running in the background of my PC, I'm generally at 4-6 gigs without doing anything, 8 is going to help a lot

God, that's unusable. I'd go with a fresh windows install. I have a laptop with 4GB RAM and an HDD with W10 and it took all of 45 seconds to load chrome. Reinstall windows. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 hours ago, OddOod said:

God, that's unusable. I'd go with a fresh windows install. I have a laptop with 4GB RAM and an HDD with W10 and it took all of 45 seconds to load chrome. Reinstall windows. 

Yeah, I plan to wipe my laptop, install 4GB RAM and add a SSD and install Win 10 on the SSD. Hopefullly it becomes usable.

SSD and RAM prices are poised to drop