Clearing a CPU cache?

I was looking to buy an i5 3690 froom someone but they said

"Just from being old, the cpu cache is filled so it needs to be cleared to get the normal clock time on it. It takes like 5 minutes I just never got around to it"

I have never heard of that ever being an issue with a cpu and am wondering if it seems reasonable and if so, how do "I clear the cache"?

Just now, aldoggy said:

I was looking to buy an i 3690 froom someone buyt they said

"Just from being old, the cpu cache is filled so it needs to be cleared to get the normal clock time on it. It takes like 5 minutes I just never got around to it"

I have never heard of that ever being an issue with a cpu and am wondering if it seems reasonable and if so, how do "I clear the cache"?

Some people refer to the tower as a CPU.

As far as the actual CPU's cache, that's volatile memory, so it'll wipe when the system is unpowered. You can't touch it anyways, it's fully controlled by the CPU.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

But the CPU cache cleans when you restart the PC

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

3 minutes ago, aldoggy said:

I'm honestly worried of what he's gonna do in those 5 minutes to that cpu

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

2 minutes ago, aldoggy said:

If you turn off the PC and unplug the power (to know for sure it's off) all cache/RAM in the system (including that in the CPU, GPU, memory, storage drives, etc.) is cleared.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The CPU doesn't retain anything on itself - if there's anything wrong with the settings it's on the motherboard and you can clear those by pulling out the battery for a couple of minutes. I'm assuming that's what that person't referring to and if the motherboard is having issues keeping the time it probably means the battery needs to be replaced.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

so I guess ill go ahead and try to purchase it, maybe I can get a discount because of his "filled cache" lol

10 hours ago, aldoggy said:

the cpu cache is filled so it needs to be cleared to get the normal clock time on it. It takes like 5 minutes I just never got around to it"

sounds like the seller is talking about clearing the cmos, which is a board thing.

either way that's not a thing for cpu cache.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The CPU doesn't retain anything on itself - if there's anything wrong with the settings it's on the motherboard and you can clear those by pulling out the battery for a couple of minutes. I'm assuming that's what that person't referring to and if the motherboard is having issues keeping the time it probably means the battery needs to be replaced.

Wao. I completely misunderstood 'clock time' as in actual time and intended it as 'cpu clock time' lol

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

20 minutes ago, aldoggy said:

Just from being old, the cpu cache is filled so it needs to be cleared to get the normal clock time on it.

Maybe it's somekind of "secret code" referencing to a near full HDD?

I edit my posts more often than not