Do i need to DDU nvidia drivers before going to AMD?

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
2 minutes ago, JellyBurger676 said:

@Den-Fi @JoostinOnline @Deli

Alright thanks for your replies. So I just download it, run the clean and shutdown and put in amd card in, power up and put new card in? 

Should I also remove the old drivers myself via DM and add/remove program and then run DDU? 

Thanks 

Place the DDU folder on your desktop, then reboot into Safe Mode. Run DDU from within safe mode, telling it to clean and shut down. After it's done, swap out the card, then reboot.

For bonus points, disconnect your PC from the internet and make sure you have drivers for your new card sitting on the desktop ready to install. Not strictly necessary, but a nice touch to keep Windows from slowing things down by installing its own drivers.

Hi all, 

Im my 1060 for an RX 580 - doing it for looks not performance :). 

HOWEVER I need to uninstall drivers ofc first. Can I just remove nvidia drivers graphics/sound/physx by using add/remove program and then uninstall the card via device manager? Or do I need to use DDU? - I've never used this and don't know how to a and whether it's safe or necessary? 

Thanks 

DDUing wouldn't be a bad idea.

Alright thanks for your replies. So I just download it, run the clean and shutdown and put in amd card in, power up and put new card in? 

Should I also remove the old drivers myself via DM and add/remove program and then run DDU? 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, JellyBurger676 said:

Thanks 

DDU takes care of everything. No need to do anything else.

2 minutes ago, JellyBurger676 said:

Thanks 

Place the DDU folder on your desktop, then reboot into Safe Mode. Run DDU from within safe mode, telling it to clean and shut down. After it's done, swap out the card, then reboot.

For bonus points, disconnect your PC from the internet and make sure you have drivers for your new card sitting on the desktop ready to install. Not strictly necessary, but a nice touch to keep Windows from slowing things down by installing its own drivers.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

@aisle9

Hi this was a very useful and informative message. Is it okay if I don't install amd drivers before doing this all and install them at the very end - just wondering as how will I know that the drivers are functioning/actually working if I install them for a card that isn't in the system yet? 

Just now, JellyBurger676 said:

@aisle9

Hi this was a very useful and informative message. Is it okay if I don't install amd drivers before doing this all and install them at the very end - just wondering as how will I know that the drivers are functioning/actually working if I install them for a card that isn't in the system yet? 

Run DDU in safe mode first, then install the new drivers from AMD's site at the end. Don't try to install AMD drivers on top of NVIDIA. You will make your computer curl up in a corner sucking its thumb and crying itself to sleep.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

You will make your computer curl up in a corner sucking its thumb and crying itself to sleep.

Haha well this didn't scare me at all 😭😂. Thanks though I appreciate it man

11 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Run DDU in safe mode first, then install the new drivers from AMD's site at the end. Don't try to install AMD drivers on top of NVIDIA. You will make your computer curl up in a corner sucking its thumb and crying itself to sleep.

@aisle9

Oh I forgot to ask if I will later need to turn safe mode of after DDU cleans and restarts? - sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm clueless and knowledge on this is pretty small :)

21 minutes ago, JellyBurger676 said:

@aisle9

Oh I forgot to ask if I will later need to turn safe mode of after DDU cleans and restarts? - sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm clueless and knowledge on this is pretty small :)

When you power back up after letting DDU do its thing, Windows will boot into its regular operating mode by default

16 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

When you power back up after letting DDU do its thing, Windows will boot into its regular operating mode by default

@aisle9 thanks buddy i appreciate your support :)