Games randomly crashing - Vega 56 at fault?

ocelot07

Hey,

I built a friend of mine a PC a few weeks ago. Using all new parts except for CPU, Hard drives and GPU. The system specs are:

Gigabyte Gaming OC Vega 56 - bought used

Ryzen 1600 - used given to him by his son as he upgraded to a 3600x

8GB Corsair 266mhz RAM - new

ASUS Prime B450M-A motherboard - new

SSD Crucial BX500 240GB - new

Corsair VS650 650w PSU - new

cheap cit rgb case - new

2x 500GB hard drives - used and very old

The PC can be used for hours on end on the desktop and it will be fine. He only has 4 games right not as he is new to PC gaming and yet they all crash. Sometimes they can be running for a hour sometimes 5 minutes. The games are GTA V, Fallout 4, Fallout 76 and World War Z. No matter what resolution is set weather its 1080p or 1440p or even 4K for the likes of Fallout 4 and World War Z.

No overclocking on the CPU side of things. I have tried undervolting the GPU without overclocking. Tried undervolting and underclocking. Tried leaving it at default which has not fixed the issues. I have monitored both CPU temps as well as GPU both seem fine. CPU is around 55-60 when gaming and gpu is around 70-75.

The games are installed on a old 500GB hard drive from 2010 maybe this could be the issue? What happens is he would be playing and the games would crash black screen for about 3-4 minutes and then windows would close the game down and he would be back on the desktop. So the PC does not shut down or anything its just the games crash and he looses signal for a few minutes. By the time he gets a signal back on his tv he is back on windows.

Any suggestions as to what I could try. When I visit tomorrow I am going to take out the old hard drives and hopefully install one game to the SSD if there is room and try that.

It's likely your PSU. Corsair's VS PSUs are meant mostly for office builds, and you paired it with one of the worst GPUs in terms of current draw and really nasty transients.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

It's likely your PSU. Corsair's VS PSUs are meant mostly for office builds, and you paired it with one of the worst GPUs in terms of current draw and really nasty transients.

I see so the power supply could be the one causing the issues? I could always bring my own PSU down tomorrow and see if that sorts the issue.

Just now, ocelot07 said:

I see so the power supply could be the one causing the issues? I could always bring my own PSU down tomorrow and see if that sorts the issue.

If you've got a good PSU, that'd definitely be worth a shot.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

If you've got a good PSU, that'd definitely be worth a shot.

mine is a 700w EVGA 80 Plus wired. Not high end but it should be enough?

1 minute ago, ocelot07 said:

For a test - yeah. For long-time use, well that's a different story :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, ocelot07 said:

Iirc only the W1 and N1 are just 80+ White out of EVGA's lineup, and those are also quite poor. I wouldn't bet on having much more luck with that either.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

For a test - yeah. For long-time use, well that's a different story :P

It was only suppose to be a temporary thing lol. Ill be getting a better one in the next month or 2.

2 minutes ago, ocelot07 said:

It was only suppose to be a temporary thing lol. Ill be getting a better one in the next month or 2.

Remember it's the quality of the PSU that matters, not the wattage.

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

Remember it's the quality of the PSU that matters, not the wattage.

Agreed however I don't know why but I always thought EVGA was a decent brand.

51 minutes ago, ocelot07 said:

Agreed however I don't know why but I always thought EVGA was a decent brand.

EVGA does have some good PSUs, and some crappy ones. Same as other brands like Corsair and Seasonic. It's important to read review of individual PSU.

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

EVGA does have some good PSUs, and some crappy ones. Same as other brands like Corsair and Seasonic. It's important to read review of individual PSU.

True witch I did. But I just went of Amazon reviews.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:12 PM, Mateyyy said:

It was indeed the PSU it's all working now.

1 hour ago, ocelot07 said:

It was indeed the PSU it's all working now.

Not really surprised, but good to hear that it works now. 

Whenever you go PSU shopping from now on, look up reviews from actual reputable reviewers who know what they're talking about - JonnyGURU, Tom's Hardware, Kitguru in some cases, just to name a few. Amazon reviews are about as useful in this case as random.org