So uh... Should I worry that my PSU power Cord doesn't have it's 3rd prong?

RealEWF
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

Uh...I don't see what's this talk about it being dangerous. He is only replacing the power cord - the same cord he already touch when setting up the PC, taking the picture of the cord, etc. Suggesting him to get a new PSU requires him to open up his PC case and unplug various of connectors, as well as potential compatibility issues if he purchase a PSU for a Dell that may have proprietary connectors.

OP, it seem the Philippines uses a NEMA5-15P plug as their standard. You only need to purchase a new NEMA5-15P to C13 power cord -  like this: https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Computer-Power-Cord-NEMA5-15P/dp/B00BBDKX1Q

My Power cords don't have the third prong. Should worry about it and get a prong for it?

1 minute ago, RealEWF said:

My Power cords don't have the third prong. Should worry about it and get a prong for it?

A picture would be nice.

The third pin is ground,and ground is important to protect you,your house and your electronics.

You may have ground somewhere else on the plug,but i need a picture to know.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Sorry it took awhile, mt internet sucks.

It's also the same case with my monitor, also doesn't have the prong. Should I order both of them new cords with the third prong with them?

The AVR behind is where I insert both monitor and cpu plug.

What country are you in so we know what plug type your country uses?

3rd pin is ground. Your PSU should definitely come with a power cable with a ground. What model PSU did you buy, was it new or was it used?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What country are you in so we know what plug type your country uses?

3rd pin is ground. Your PSU should definitely come with a power cable with a ground. What model PSU did you buy, was it new or was it used?

Used, optiplex 360. Picture of the plug above. Philippines.

7 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

Used, optiplex 360. Picture of the plug above. Philippines.

It looks like they sent you the wrong kind of plug. Looks like a Type A plug which doesn't work in the Philippians. I would return the power supply immediately.  

6 minutes ago, WanderingMist said:

It looks like they sent you the wrong kind of plug. Looks like a Type A plug which doesn't work in the Philippians. I would return the power supply immediately.  

I can replace the cord. Would that suffice?

1 minute ago, RealEWF said:

Unless you are a trained electrician I wouldn't go messing around with power supplies in any way. It's just not worth the risk. Those things can be nasty if you make a mistake. Just return it and make sure the next one you get has the correct plug type. 

34 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

God fucking damnit

IMG_20200816_183630.jpg

Yeah,that's bad,no ground.

13 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

Power supplies are dangerous,only a certified electrician should deal with it.

If you touch the wrong thing in there it can kill you even if it's unplugged.

I recommend you to get a different power supply.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

18 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Yeah,that's bad,no ground.

Power supplies are dangerous,only a certified electrician should deal with it.

If you touch the wrong thing in there it can kill you even if it's unplugged.

I recommend you to get a different power supply.

It's the stock Dell optiplex 360 dt power supply. So should I get a completely new PSU then?

Uh...I don't see what's this talk about it being dangerous. He is only replacing the power cord - the same cord he already touch when setting up the PC, taking the picture of the cord, etc. Suggesting him to get a new PSU requires him to open up his PC case and unplug various of connectors, as well as potential compatibility issues if he purchase a PSU for a Dell that may have proprietary connectors.

OP, it seem the Philippines uses a NEMA5-15P plug as their standard. You only need to purchase a new NEMA5-15P to C13 power cord -  like this: https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Computer-Power-Cord-NEMA5-15P/dp/B00BBDKX1Q

4 minutes ago, quan289 said:

OP, it seem the Philippines uses a NEMA5-15P plug as their standard. You only need to purchase a new NEMA5-15P to C13 power cord -  like this: https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Computer-Power-Cord-NEMA5-15P/dp/B00BBDKX1

Thank you bro and Paddy-Stone for the link for then. Do I need to do the same with my monitor? Because both don't have the grounding prong.

14 minutes ago, RealEWF said:

It's the stock Dell optiplex 360 dt power supply. So should I get a completely new PSU then?

I see,you can replace the cord with that power supply.

2 minutes ago, quan289 said:

You are right,i thought OP wanted to mod the cables to add ground.