GTX1060 (Mobile)

Mike-R

Hey Guys, 

Mike from Sunny South Africa.

My 1st post here. 

Im desperately looking for a GTX 1060 (mobile) for my laptop as an upgarde.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong but mobile GPU's are completely different and is often different on every laptop I wouldn't risk my laptop since there is a high risk of failing unless you really know what you are doing

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

welcome to the forum!

it's very difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade more than the ram and storage in a laptop. you're usually better off selling your current one and buying the one you need.

Thanks for teh replies guys, So its for a customer of mine.

He has given me an old Alienware laptop which he wants to repair, it wasn't booting and no display on the screen. It came with a 340M in it, so had a spare 240M which we put in and the laptop is now working. 

So i explained that its really not worth the trouble to upgrade but he is adamant that we must put a 1060 in there.

Well you can't upgrade a laptop GPU. They're most likely soldered unless you have an mxm card. 

Other than that you'll be looking at external gpus. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Mike-R said:

He has given me an old Alienware laptop which he wants to repair, it wasn't booting and no display on the screen. It came with a 340M in it, so had a spare 240M which we put in and the laptop is now working. 

So i explained that its really not worth the trouble to upgrade but he is adamant that we must put a 1060 in there.

Well that is most likely impossible 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

16 minutes ago, Mike-R said:

I assume this alienware has a mxm card then. Sadly upgrading the card to anything is still basically impossible even with the mxm standard due to a very simple thing. Bios locking. This is to prevent from new cards working in said laptop and using the laptop for longer instead of buying a new one. The reason the 240m worked is due to how similar the 200 and 300m series is. You'd be extremely lucky if a 400m series even works. In the end the only card that will work are the ones that the alienware series had at the time and even then if you lets say get a msi 340m there is a very very big chance it will not work in an alienware.