Weird idle GPU Power on different refresh rate

Moonzy

I noticed my GPU was idling in higher temps than expected

so i dug around and noticed that:

1) GPU power is at 15% when i set my display to 240, 144, and 120 Hz

2) GPU power is at 30% when i set my display to anything other than those number, but above 100 (never tried below 100)

the coreclock and memory clock difference

Spoiler

image.png.cb04286dc8b1b0b3a02c6eec9ed2868e.png

GPU: GTX970, never tried to see if it happens on my other GPUs

Driver: 451.48 (noticed since long ago with other drivers and have been diagnosing for quite a while)

CPU: 3900x

RAM: 16GB

Displays:

1) 1080p 165/240 (i switched main display)

2) 1080p 60

this is a small problem as my current display is 165Hz, making my GPU idle at higher temps and power than i would like

does this happen to anyone else or it's just an isolated case?

what causes this and how do i make it idle at a lower power usage? (probably have to do with P state, but idk why and how)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My 2070S will idle at the regular idle clocks (300MHz on the core, 405MHz on the memory) up until 158Hz on my main monitor. At 240Hz it sits at the full 7000MHz on the memory and a little over 1000MHz on the core.

It's annoying to say the least and it didn't seem to change at all with different drivers.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

At 240Hz it sits at the full 7000MHz on the memory and a little over 1000MHz on the core.

interesting, i tested with my 240hz and the idle power usage is actually lower than 165Hz

just glad to know it's not an isolated case, albeit different parameters

due to circumstances, i cant test it on other GPU or 240Hz now (both are being RMA-ed)

mild inconvenience because the GPU heats up to the point the fan spins on and off, I cant turn off the system because my CPU is doing something else.

27 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

mild inconvenience because the GPU heats up to the point the fan spins on and off,

Yeah same, I've set up a custom fan curve now because of that. At least I had to keep Afterburner going in the background for the undervolt I've got on my GPU anyway.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah same, I've set up a custom fan curve now because of that. At least I had to keep Afterburner going in the background for the undervolt I've got on my GPU anyway.

i tried doing this but the temp just goes up to the point that it spins the fans anyways

• 1 month later...

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. As you saw I made a thread on the issue but tried a different solution.

1 minute ago, InputLag said:

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. As you saw I made a thread on the issue but tried a different solution.

Test a different refresh rate, maybe the ones I listed?

120, and 144

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Test a different refresh rate, maybe the ones I listed?

120, and 144

144hz... solved the problem? That combined extra 42hz is really making this much difference? This is so odd.

Just now, InputLag said:

144hz... solved the problem? That combined extra 42hz is really making this much difference? This is so odd.

i believe it's a driver issue, and nvidia only patched for common refresh rate like 120 144 and 240

165 isnt too common

i've read an old thread before making this thread, that all high fps monitor caused this problem, including 144 and 120

Just now, Moonzy said:

i believe it's a driver issue, and nvidia only patched for common refresh rate like 120 144 and 240

165 isnt too common

i've read an old thread before making this thread, that all high fps monitor caused this problem, including 144 and 120

Nvidia really needs to get it together man.

Nvidia really needs to get it together man.

to be fair, it's not a big issue as i stated in my earlier replies

just a mild inconvenience

Just now, Moonzy said:

to be fair, it's not a big issue as i stated in my earlier replies

just a mild inconvenience

Having the clock spike so high because I'm going 165hz, after we paid through the nose for this stuff? I expect better for the money. Also after that post I started noticing some really distracting flicker. So I went into my nvidia control panel and set up g-sync like this. Seems to be gone.

image.png.66cc99c11bb5cc70d86f10d2875c40ad.png

3 minutes ago, InputLag said:

Having the clock spike so high because I'm going 165hz, after we paid through the nose for this stuff? I expect better for the money. Also after that post I started noticing some really distracting flicker. So I went into my nvidia control panel and set up g-sync like this. Seems to be gone.

care to test if it's frame drop issue?

the extra test in this thread's first post

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1249815-need-help-from-g-sync-compatible-monitor-owners/

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

care to test if it's frame drop issue?

the extra test in this thread's first post

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1249815-need-help-from-g-sync-compatible-monitor-owners/

Went to run the test (it won't give me ready and I'm sooo not down to shut down everything I'm working on right now) and I noticed my fan kicking up again and...

image.thumb.png.898b79c7177ed53ce689e53d4c2c5ee9.png

I'm gonna lose my damn mind.

I'm learning more. In my setup I have the 2 165hz monitors and an older 60hz TV.. I deactivated the tv and even at 165hz things are better than fine, they're as they were in my 60hz days. I believe it's either the mismatch or that I'm using HDMI. I'm leaning towards HDMI being the issue because setting the 2 165hz monitors to 60hz did not solve the issue.

36 minutes ago, InputLag said:

Went to run the test (it won't give me ready and I'm sooo not down to shut down everything I'm working on right now) and I noticed my fan kicking up again and...

the test does use a lot of GPU and pretty much require a decent cpu and gpu to hit the required stability it needs to test

but long story short, my 240hz had frame dropping issue if i dont turn on free-sync on the panel

3 minutes ago, InputLag said:

.. I deactivated the tv and even at 165hz things are better than fine, they're as they were in my 60hz days

hmm, i never tried unplugging my 2nd display

43 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

the test does use a lot of GPU and pretty much require a decent cpu and gpu to hit the required stability it needs to test

but long story short, my 240hz had frame dropping issue if i dont turn on free-sync on the panel

hmm, i never tried unplugging my 2nd display

Try to see what happens with only one type of connector used (so dp probably). I just ordered an adapter that will come tomorrow, I'll report back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reporting back, it did nothing. I rma'd the card. Replacement did nothing. NVIDIA is trying to stonewall me and tell me it's normal. It's inexcusable if you ask me. The fact that I can use an external application to downclock and have everything work fine is proof such high clocks are unnecessary. The issue is definitely on them. The way this happens automatically is messed up.

Look at this absolute insult of a response. This man did not even mention the logical failing of an external program being able to limit and drive the monitors just fine. I have never had less fun upgrading and I've never felt so stonewalled by a support line before in my life.

image.png.19b85deda11880e98b7ee7ffef8235c3.png

• 2 weeks later...

They've stopped responding to me altogether. These crooks. Just downclock the freaking card!!

One thing I noticed and this used to not work but killing G-sync and setting all monitors to 60hz regardless of resolution remedies the issue.

17 minutes ago, InputLag said:

They've stopped responding to me altogether. These crooks. Just downclock the freaking card!!

One thing I noticed and this used to not work but killing G-sync and setting all monitors to 60hz regardless of resolution remedies the issue.

tbh i sorta give up, we're not gonna do much until they decide it's an issue and solve it

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

tbh i sorta give up, we're not gonna do much until they decide it's an issue and solve it

Can't we make it an issue by coming to them with this all together? Do they have a phone number? I'm close to just calling them.

And what if it was brought up in one of the many daily videos? Maybe some wiz can give us an answer as to what is happening and if it's fixable.

Can't we make it an issue by coming to them with this all together? Do they have a phone number?

sure if there's enough people that cared about this issue

it is a weird quirk, not a true issue tbh

it doesnt cause anything to break, other than consuming more power than necessary.

2 minutes ago, InputLag said:

And what if it was brought up in one of the many daily videos?

again, not enough people that cares, or even know about this issue tbh

Just now, Moonzy said:

sure if there's enough people that cared about this issue

it is a weird quirk, not a true issue tbh

it doesnt cause anything to break, other than consuming more power than necessary.

again, not enough people that cares, or even know about this issue tbh

Bro, these guys make videos about the most obscure shit maybe 1% of their audience can afford or do themselves. One video on "which monitor configs cause sudden upclocks, why, how, etc" is right up their alley.

4 minutes ago, InputLag said:

Bro, these guys make videos about the most obscure shit maybe 1% of their audience can afford or do themselves. One video on "which monitor configs cause sudden upclocks, why, how, etc" is right up their alley.

Derailing but obscure =/= not interesting

IDK anyone that would watch this

You can bring this up to hardware unboxed or gamernexus, they're more on the testing side and not focused on entertainment