Need some advice.... DHCP, seperating VLANs and subnets

Skipple

Hi everyone,

So I recently got into to the hobby and have a fairly basic configuration. I have a understanding of how DHCP and internal IP addresses work, just not how to properly configure them and separate out the VLANs.
Right now I have everything on the same VLAN... 192.168.0.0/24 which is being handled by my EdgeRouter.

My question is.. Should it? I'm not sure if DHCP should be handled by my EdgeRouter or my managed switch? Are there best practices for this? I know the separations and firewalls between the VLANs will be done on the router side. Does anything need to be done on the managed switch? 

I want to start separating my devices to make myself more secure. I was going to start adding some security cameras as well and I certainly want those separated from the rest of the network.

Again, I have no idea what I am doing here, but from what I have seen from other user diagrams... this is what I have pictured:

Spoiler

54TvHoo.png

Also, I was thinking about upgrading my EdgeRouter to either a custom built pfSense or the UDM-Pro. Does that change things?

Please let me know if you need any more information. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Just use pfsense with lots of ethernet cards. I had 5-6 in mine so you can seperate your lans that way without the need for managed switches

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

Just use pfsense with lots of ethernet cards. I had 5-6 in mine so you can seperate your lans that way without the need for managed switches

Right, I am actually thinking about building a pfsense box regardless, but I already own a managed switch with my EX3200

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

You want the router running the DHCP server. Your managed switch needs to be configured with VLANs and a truck port that goes back to the router. The router then needs to be configured with sub-interfaces & vlan tagging so it knows what traffic & network is assigned to each vlan otherwise all the traffic on other vlans can be read by programs like wire shark. It also helps shrink broadcast domains so things like security camera streams or other constantly broadcasting devices don't take up bandwidth from client communication.