Testing RAM OC, Crashusing Karhu

My system is a Ryzen 3800x (the store had no more 3700x...) Aorus x570 Master, 32gb tridentZ Neo 3600 cl 16, EVGA 2080XC.

No CPU OC.

I am unable to get a stable XMP OC. i bumped the voltage up a bit, and made to just under 1000% in Karhu after a few bumps, so at 1.37v. the thing is every test the computer just black screens and reboots. I have made it over 9000% with no OC, so i think the ram is fine. Is just crashing normal behavior, or should there be errors?

I have tried using DRAM calculator, but never got anything stable. I updated my Bios today, so i may go through that process again.

Thanks

What are you trying to overclock the ram to?  You mean get to the rated 3600mhz of your ram or go faster? Is the ram 4x8 or 16x2? What is kharu?  All I’m finding is Swedish sneakers. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Try 3200mhz instead. 

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

What are you trying to overclock the ram to?  You mean get to the rated 3600mhz of your ram or go faster? Is the ram 4x8 or 16x2? What is kharu?  All I’m finding is Swedish sneakers. 

Yes, just trying to set XMP. Karhu is a ram stability testing software.My kit is 16 x 2

8 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Try 3200mhz instead. 

3400 or 3200 was the next plan. if i can get 3200 at slightly tighter timings the difference should be negligible.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

What is kharu?

RAM stress testing software. 

Isn’t really used by most people because it’s pretty much useless if you are only enabling XMP and it’s also payed. 

20 hours ago, DudePlayinADude said:

Thanks

set the soc to 1.1 and dram to 1.35 then try 3200 with xmp/docp and then check if it's stable. 

if it is, go for 3600 with the values set above and check if it's stable. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Hello and welcome.

Have you used HWiNFO to check your voltages?  

And which RAM kit is it specifically?

Also, can you show us all the timings with ZenTimings please.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1740690-zentimings-3.html#post28555146

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

On 8/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, nick name said:

Hello and welcome.

Have you used HWiNFO to check your voltages?  

And which RAM kit is it specifically?

Also, can you show us all the timings with ZenTimings please.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1740690-zentimings-3.html#post28555146

So following another users recommendations i applied xmp, changed it to 3200 and set soc to 1.1 volts.I've attached imaged of HWinfo, and zentimings.

I ran Karhu overnight to 15132% with no errors. Then this afternoon i got another restart. The FAQ on the Karhu website list over 6400% as 99.41% surety, and i had over twice that.

hwinforam32.PNG

zentimings.PNG

hwinforow232.PNG

They may not be RAM related restarts.  

Do you have Load Line Calibration setup for your CPU and SOC?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

It's the board. 

Like someone hit the restart button.....

I've come to the conclusion, after a period of time in this forum actively noticing this issue several times, that the board get warranty and the issue goes away.

HOWEVER:

I also have seen a few stray AMD chips get RMAed as well around here with similar issues. 

So the easiest testing curve would be another chip, but of the same wattage so you can minimize differences, or see if the store you purchased from if walked in will hot swap at the counter providing they have the stock.

You can use your forum posts as reference to the tech guys as well. The more information the better.

But that's about where I'm at. Unless the PSU "clicks" off and then back on again, I'd say maybe try a different psu or mainboard.

strictly my opinion. needs further diag.

EDIT:

One last thing. If the PC doesn't DOES restart randomly at 2133mhz, then it's possibly memory controller related issues. Another reason to consider rma cpu.

2 hours ago, nick name said:

They may not be RAM related restarts.  

Do you have Load Line Calibration setup for your CPU and SOC?  

I am not sure how to set up Load Line Calibration, so i will have to look into that and set it up. I have never had a restart like this when at stock settings.

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's the board. 

Like someone hit the restart button.....

I've come to the conclusion, after a period of time in this forum actively noticing this issue several times, that the board get warranty and the issue goes away.

HOWEVER:

I also have seen a few stray AMD chips get RMAed as well around here with similar issues. 

So the easiest testing curve would be another chip, but of the same wattage so you can minimize differences, or see if the store you purchased from if walked in will hot swap at the counter providing they have the stock.

You can use your forum posts as reference to the tech guys as well. The more information the better.

But that's about where I'm at. Unless the PSU "clicks" off and then back on again, I'd say maybe try a different psu or mainboard.

strictly my opinion. needs further diag.

EDIT:

One last thing. If the PC doesn't DOES restart randomly at 2133mhz, then it's possibly memory controller related issues. Another reason to consider rma cpu.

I have never had it happen with my RAM stock. The PSU doesnt make any sound or anything.

41 minutes ago, DudePlayinADude said:

I have never had a restart like this when at stock settings.

I reverted my settings to normal, and just got another crash. it hadn't happened before. I will probably try reseating my ram and cpu.

2 minutes ago, DudePlayinADude said:

I reverted my settings to normal, and just got another crash. it hadn't happened before. I will probably try reseating my ram and cpu.

Yep, now begins diag at stock.