Upgraded my PSU. Both my Hard Drives (3TB and 8TB each) are no longer recognized my computer or by BIOS

Go to solution Solved by Tygranos25,

After looking online a little longer, I've come to find out that I might have fried the electronics board (or parts that existed on it) connected to said drives. 

One of those drives is really important, so I might just bring it in to a shop to see if I can get the data recovered.

I think what caused the drives to fail was the fact there was still somehow power in the rig as I was testing parts to see which ones worked and which did not, and some power surged while the entire system was not entirely off.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, guys. 🙂

Fingers crossed I wont have to pay too much for it to be recovered.

I wasn't getting much luck looking online for help regarding my issue so I'll ask here.

This was my build before I upgraded:

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 550 G2 80 Plus Gold

MOBO: Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core 3.2 GHz

HDD 1: Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7.2k RPM

HDD 2: HGST Ultrastar DC 8TB 7.2k RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

M.2: Western Digital Blue NVMe 2280 1TB NAND

RAM: Team T-Force DARK 16 GB (2 x 8GB)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR OC 4 GB

After I got my new PSU and GPU in, this was supposed to be my new build:
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GM-750 80 Plus Gold

MOBO: Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core 3.2 GHz

HDD 1: Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7.2k RPM

HDD 2: HGST Ultrastar DC 8TB 7.2k RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

M.2: Western Digital Blue NVMe 2280 1TB NAND

RAM: Team T-Force DARK 16 GB (2 x 8GB)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

Graphics Card 1:  MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR OC 4 GB

Graphics Card 2: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB

After a fiasco with finding out I had to use the power connectors that came with the PSU with everything else on my rig (that being I had swap out all the connectors previously with the ones in the box), I turn on my PC, restart it to recognize the new GPU, then as i'm looking through my things I realize that it only recognizes the 500 GB SSD which is my boot drive, as well as the M.2 SSD. I have around 11 TB of Hard Drives that it won't recognize.

I've tried tinkering around with the SATA cables to see if one of them might be faulty or otherwise damaged. I check to see whether there are data connection to and from the Hard Drives to the MOBO. The SSD seems to be unaffected here. 

The M.2 I have installed turns off my ASATA ports, therefore I don't have any connections in that area.

Jumping into the BIOS only gets more confusing as even the BIOS no longer recognizes that I have Hard Drives. Trying to do a disk partition yields the same result as it only recognizes the SSD and M.2.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

After looking online a little longer, I've come to find out that I might have fried the electronics board (or parts that existed on it) connected to said drives. 

One of those drives is really important, so I might just bring it in to a shop to see if I can get the data recovered.

I think what caused the drives to fail was the fact there was still somehow power in the rig as I was testing parts to see which ones worked and which did not, and some power surged while the entire system was not entirely off.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, guys. 🙂

Fingers crossed I wont have to pay too much for it to be recovered.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

how exactly a BIOS update would solve a PSU issue?

anyway

op are you sure the drives are getting power? touch them, if you feel a subtle vibration it means they're working.

are all of the cables properly plugged in? both into the PSU and drives, make sure you can hear a 'click' noise when plugging the cable into the PSU.

All cables are connected and firm. There is no give to any of the data or power cables. But both drives are silent.

You used a SATA power cable that didn't come with the new PSU?

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

You used a SATA power cable that didn't come with the new PSU?

I used the SATA cables that was used by drives in my original rig. I read online that it shouldn't make much of a difference what SATA cable you end up using so long as you don't force too much power through the wrong cable. After my system failed to start the first time through, I switched out all the cable attached with the ones that came with the new PSU.

51 minutes ago, Tygranos25 said:

I read online that it shouldn't make much of a difference what SATA cable you end up using so long as you don't force too much power through the wrong cable

Where in the world did you read that? The pinout on the PSU side is non-standard, and will vary depending on which PSU model you get.

Comparing the pinouts, you sent 5V and 3.3V where there should have been ground, 12V where there should have been 3.3V, and ground where there should have been 12V.

https://www.modders-inc.com/power-supply-pinout-repository/7/

https://forums.evga.com/G2-PSU-pin-out-m2517852.aspx

:)

12 hours ago, Tygranos25 said:

I used the SATA cables that was used by drives in my original rig. I read online that it shouldn't make much of a difference what SATA cable you end up using so long as you don't force too much power through the wrong cable. After my system failed to start the first time through, I switched out all the cable attached with the ones that came with the new PSU.

Ok.  That's what you did wrong.

You can't mix power cables with most power supplies.  Especially the SATA power cables (since those cables have three different voltages which triples your chances of screwing it up).  Switching to the cables that came with the PSU AFTER THE FACT does nothing.  The first time you tried to power up those drives with the wrong SATA cables, you fried them.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  That's what you did wrong.

You can't mix power cables with most power supplies.  Especially the SATA power cables (since those cables have three different voltages which triples your chances of screwing it up).  Switching to the cables that came with the PSU AFTER THE FACT does nothing.  The first time you tried to power up those drives with the wrong SATA cables, you fried them.

I realize that now. My only option at this point is to see if I can restore my drive, assuming I only fried the electronics board and nothing else.

Which I won't be able to attempt until Monday. 

13 hours ago, seon123 said:

Where in the world did you read that? The pinout on the PSU side is non-standard, and will vary depending on which PSU model you get.

Comparing the pinouts, you sent 5V and 3.3V where there should have been ground, 12V where there should have been 3.3V, and ground where there should have been 12V.

https://www.modders-inc.com/power-supply-pinout-repository/7/

https://forums.evga.com/G2-PSU-pin-out-m2517852.aspx

Imma be honest, while I was building my system the first time through, understanding the connectors completely, aside from knowing which cables go where, never actually came up. I understand now that I fried my hard drives while I was installing my PSU.