A bit worried about these temps

Grumpy_Old_Man

I just assembled a new build with the components listed below.

I am a bit worried about the cpu temps: 36°-40°C on idle in Windows, 89° on full load (Cinebench). Obviously, the latter is the one that concerns me.

I have already reapplied the thermal paste (arctic silver 5, new tube) and added an additional cooling fan on the Mugen's heatsink, creating a 'push & pull' airflow.

Please advise.

specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor
Scythe Mugen 5 RGB Edition
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200 - [CMW16GX4M2C3200C16]
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 Windforce 2X 8G
Corsair RM650x PSU
Asrock X570 STEEL LEGEND
Kingston A2000 1000GB M.2 SSD

Woah those temps are far from normal. A mugen 5 is just a little worse than a dark rock pro 4 so something is very wrong here. Did you mount it properly? Also what case do you have?

Two thoughts:

1. AS5 has a "burn-in" time, and the system needs to run for something like 200 hours (maybe only 25?) before it's up to full efficiency

2. Are you overclocked at all?

Edit: third thought: Zen 2 runs hot.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

32 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Perfectly fine.

Really?

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Woah those temps are far from normal. A mugen 5 is just a little worse than a dark rock pro 4 so something is very wrong here. Did you mount it properly? Also what case do you have?

No, I used duct tape. Sorry, couldn't resist. Yes it's mounted properly. It's not in a case yet.

31 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

It's fine

Really?

30 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Two thoughts:

1. AS5 has a "burn-in" time, and the system needs to run for something like 200 hours (maybe only 25?) before it's up to full efficiency

2. Are you overclocked at all?

Edit: third thought: Zen 2 runs hot.

No overclocking.

13 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah, really it's fine. 95c is when you should be worried.

This cooler is keeping a 9900k under 70c without a struggle. 89 is only 6c away from a problem and this is a ryzen 3600 a very easy to cool chip that is struggling to be cooled on a massive heatsink that can keep cpu's with far more heat output at bay.

13 hours ago, Grumpy_Old_Man said:

Really?

No, I used duct tape. Sorry, couldn't resist. Yes it's mounted properly. It's not in a case yet.

Really?

No overclocking.

What is your ambient temp? Could you maybe try with the stock cooler and see the temps with that? If that cools around the same then there is most likely something wrong with your mugen 5 as it's many times better than the stock cooler.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

This cooler is keeping a 9900k under 70c without a struggle. 89 is only 6c away from a problem and this is a ryzen 3600 a very easy to cool chip that is struggling to be cooled on a massive heatsink that can keep cpu's with far more heat output at bay.

What is your ambient temp? Could you maybe try with the stock cooler and see the temps with that? If that cools around the same then there is most likely something wrong with your mugen 5 as it's many times better than the stock cooler.

Ambient temp is up to 30c (heatwave).

, I will try stock cooler and report back

To everyone saying its fine, it is not normal! I have a R5 2600 with a hyper 212 evo (a worse cooler than yours) and get 65c Max on Cinebench R20. 

Maybe try adjusting the fan curves, are they on default? Are both the fans actually spinning? And how much thermal paste did you put on?

41 minutes ago, Grumpy_Old_Man said:

@jaslion@BlueScope819@aisle9@Not Wills

Just ran the same benchmark with stock cooler, temps shot straight up to 95°C. Not sure what to do at this point.

Something to do with either the thermal paste application (probably not though) or your CPU might have an issue. I see you havent overclocked. Do you know if the CPU voltage could be set high for some reason? It would say in the BIOS or Ryzen Master if you have that installed.

27 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

Something to do with either the thermal paste application (probably not though) or your CPU might have an issue. I see you havent overclocked. Do you know if the CPU voltage could be set high for some reason? It would say in the BIOS or Ryzen Master if you have that installed.

Everthing is at stock values. Ive also updated the bios, no change.

My other system is r5 2600 based, i have no issues with that one.

42 minutes ago, Grumpy_Old_Man said:

Everthing is at stock values. Ive also updated the bios, no change.

My other system is r5 2600 based, i have no issues with that one.

How fast are the fans going on the cpu cooler? Are they going at a normal speed or slower than they should

7 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

How fast are the fans going on the cpu cooler? Are they going at a normal speed or slower than they should

Normal

1 hour ago, BlueScope819 said:

Reseat cooler?

Again? I even tried different thermal pastes.

@Grumpy_Old_Man

🤨 I haven't a snow balls clue in blue hell why everyone is saying that temperature is "perfectly fine". I thought they were trolling you for a moment, but they actually seem deadly serious. At idle, my CPU goes no higher than 36°C, and barely hits 60°C on average under load, even though I am overclocking. This goes for my GPU as well. Your PC case is just as important for managing heat and air flow as anything else, so might as well start there. Which one do you have? If its built like a tank, then I wouldn't be surprised as to why your CPU is so hot. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

20 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

@Grumpy_Old_Man

🤨 I haven't a snow balls clue in blue hell why everyone is saying that temperature is "perfectly fine". I thought they were trolling you for a moment, but they actually seem deadly serious. At idle, my CPU goes no higher than 36°C, and barely hits 60°C on average under load, even though I am overclocking. This goes for my GPU as well. Your PC case is just as important for managing heat and air flow as anything else, so might as well start there. Which one do you have? If its built like a tank, then I wouldn't be surprised as to why your CPU is so hot. 

No case, it's an open build, as stated before.

6 minutes ago, Grumpy_Old_Man said:

No case, it's an open build, as stated before.

🤷‍♂️ I mean, that might be the reason why, actually. Just because its closed doesn't automatically mean its harder to keep the PC cool. With open air design, what people fail to realize is that there is no actual air flow to push the heat away from the components. If you insist on having an open build, its recommended by some to make it a liquid cooled system instead. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

OP Get an 240mm rad sized AIO Liquid Cooler.

I recently got that same CPU and paired it with my old Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 AIO that I used to cool my Threadripper 2990WX with stock.

Here's my temps on load versus idle.

spacer.png

idle:

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, accolade said:

I recently got that same CPU and paired it with my old Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 AIO that I used to cool my Threadripper 2990WX with stock.

Here's my temps on load versus idle.

spacer.png

idle:

spacer.png

👆Yeah, what he said....This is what the temperatures should look like if the system is properly cooled, air or liquid. This is even when overclocking by the way. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

🤷‍♂️ I mean, that might be the reason why, actually. Just because its closed doesn't automatically mean its harder to keep the PC cool. With open air design, what people fail to realize is that there is no actual air flow to push the heat away from the components. If you insist on having an open build, its recommended by some to make it a liquid cooled system instead. 

Yeah I don't buy that. And I'm not going to put it in the case before everything checks out anyway. I don't 'insist' on having an open build, it's just how I assemble PCs, I make sure everything works as it should before I start putting it together inside the case.

1 hour ago, accolade said:

Also no, I'm not getting a new cooler, the Mugen 5 should be more than enough. Judging by my tests, I don't think the cooler is the problem.

2 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

You can look through your board settings to make sure that there isn't any auto OC going on.

This was actually helpful.  Experimented with this and got some interesting results.

First I used Ryzen Master to 'cap' the clock speed to 3800Mhz, temps never got over 65°C, great success.

I then set CPU overclocking to manual in the bios (OC Tweaker) and set it to 3800Mhz max again. This time the PC started behaving weird, sometimes it would boot and all would be well, other times it would get stuck in a boot cycle and I was forced to reset the bios. I guess I'll have to experiment more to get stable results.

1 hour ago, Grumpy_Old_Man said:

This was actually helpful.  Experimented with this and got some interesting results.

First I used Ryzen Master to 'cap' the clock speed to 3800Mhz, temps never got over 65°C, great success.

I then set CPU overclocking to manual in the bios (OC Tweaker) and set it to 3800Mhz max again. This time the PC started behaving weird, sometimes it would boot and all would be well, other times it would get stuck in a boot cycle and I was forced to reset the bios. I guess I'll have to experiment more to get stable results.

Have you tried using precision boost overdrive? Works great for me. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

12 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Yes I disabled it.

1 hour ago, Grumpy_Old_Man said:

Also no, I'm not getting a new cooler, the Mugen 5 should be more than enough. Judging by my tests, I don't think the cooler is the problem.

well... an AIO isn't for everyone. 

It certainly cool the Ryzen 5 3600 with no problem.

Personally if I was going for another CPU heatsink fan that was not the stock Wraith Stealth included, I would have gone a few steps up and acquired either new or used a Wraith Prism cooler. They don't cost much, $25-35 on ebay new/used or Amazon, and they cool the Ryzen 5 pretty well, and it has nice RGB to complement your setup.

That Mugen 5 looks big but it looks all aluminum like what the stock wreath stealth heatsink is made up of.  Is there no copper base on the block? 

At least with the Wraith Max, Wraith Prism, or even the 1st gen Wraith Spire coolers (All compatible with Ryzen 5) all have a copper base on the CPU block of the heatsink providing more thermal dissipation.  I say this in general to all Ryzen 3/5 CPU heatsink fan shoppers you all should really be shopping first, for the higher stock coolers included with the Ryzen 7, 9 that owners are discarding in favor for more expensive cooling.  Those stock coolers do a lot more for smaller count Ryzens in cooling.

Last what type of thermal paste did you apply to that CPU before installing on the Mugen 5 cooler? The thermal Conductivity (W/mK) rating of the thermal paste used is just as important checking out as well, as a higher thermal conductivity rating paste will best transfer that heat off CPU through the heatsink cooler.

24 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I don't think that would have made his situation any better.

OP it sucks that you have to down clock your chip.  An open workbench should be getting much cooler temps unless your room temperature is a scorcher.

10 minutes ago, accolade said:

OP it sucks that you have to down clock your chip.  An open workbench should be getting much cooler temps unless your room temperature is a scorcher.

Not according to some nerds across the internet. Even if room temperature is decent, an open system cooled by only air won't be as efficient as a closed one, unless you can somehow find a way to push the hot air the chip itself is generating away from it. Its not just about room temperature, its about air flow, and whether or not its neutral, negative or positive air pressure. With the way my case is designed, it seems like the air going in is even colder than room temperature. I'm not sure if its because of the glass on the front of the case or not. Someone else with my case had the same question, and it made me curious, because it certainly feels colder. 

45563d1332434505.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10