PC for my Parents

Jayburpz
Go to solution Solved by Haro,

honestly for that workload, the 3450 build will work just fine with a 1050ti. 

my only concern is the psu, what exact model is that? 

Budget (including currency): SGD$500-700?

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Very light gaming(i think like Bluestacks for his mobile games), mostly web surfing, netflix, random MS office document editing

Other details : planning to throw in my old 1050ti OC( optional if they want to use it as a media PC later on hooked up to a 4k TV. 

so my dads laptop is starting to fail on him, I was thinking of setting up a PC for him so he can surf the web and play his games. I'm Wondering if I should build a brand new PC or use parts from my old PC? 

I actually have some old parts that I thought I could use, List below;

Intel i5 - 3450

msi b75ma-p45 motherboard

16GB DDR3 G.skills memory

550w PSU

GTX 1050ti OC

GTX 1070

Pretty sure most of this stuff works and i'll get a new 500GB SSD for a main drive.

OR

I was thinking;

Intel i3 - 9100

Smallest motherboard

8GB DDR4 memory

400w PSU?

above mentioned GPUs

any ideas?

Intel i7 8700(non-K) | Asus TUF H370 Pro Gaming | Galax RTX 2070 Super EX 8GB | 2x8GB G.Skills Ripjaws DDR4 | Corsair CX750 PSU

honestly for that workload, the 3450 build will work just fine with a 1050ti. 

my only concern is the psu, what exact model is that? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

The i5 and 1050Ti should be good enough for that. Just throw a good SSD in there and it should work just fine.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

thanks for the reply, the PSU is a Coolermaster GX 550w Bronze. 

Intel i7 8700(non-K) | Asus TUF H370 Pro Gaming | Galax RTX 2070 Super EX 8GB | 2x8GB G.Skills Ripjaws DDR4 | Corsair CX750 PSU

1 minute ago, Jayburpz said:

thanks for the reply, the PSU is a Coolermaster GX 550w Bronze. 

remember to quote or mention the person you're replying so that they'll get a notification

@TofuHaroto

i think the i5 works fine for the task described

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, George Gibson said:

am giving an upvote

Why?

2 minutes ago, Jayburpz said:

Coolermaster GX 550w Bronze. 

At least according to the list. 

It should do the job. The 3450 build with a 1050 ti will be more than enough.  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, George Gibson said:

Windows 8 is the easiest OS. And its run smoothly on i3.

hmm... windows 10 runs just fine on it and the i5 too

and u can probably install windows 8 on that i5 platform too

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

46 minutes ago, Jayburpz said:

Budget (including currency): SGD$500-700?

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Very light gaming(i think like Bluestacks for his mobile games), mostly web surfing, netflix, random MS office document editing

Other details : planning to throw in my old 1050ti OC( optional if they want to use it as a media PC later on hooked up to a 4k TV. 

so my dads laptop is starting to fail on him, I was thinking of setting up a PC for him so he can surf the web and play his games. I'm Wondering if I should build a brand new PC or use parts from my old PC? 

I actually have some old parts that I thought I could use, List below;

Intel i5 - 3450

msi b75ma-p45 motherboard

16GB DDR3 G.skills memory

550w PSU

GTX 1050ti OC

GTX 1070

Pretty sure most of this stuff works and i'll get a new 500GB SSD for a main drive.

OR

I was thinking;

Intel i3 - 9100

Smallest motherboard

8GB DDR4 memory

400w PSU?

above mentioned GPUs

any ideas?

3450 machine with some updates and stuff will work fine for what he wants through probably 2021.  Why buy new stuff now?  You can always buy it later when it’s needed.  It will be better. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, George Gibson said:

Windows 8 is the easiest OS. And its run smoothly on i3.

i will probably install Win10 on it. 

36 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Why?

At least according to the list. 

It should do the job. The 3450 build with a 1050 ti will be more than enough.  

thanks. its just something for now.. i will upgrade it next year or so.

44 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The i5 and 1050Ti should be good enough for that. Just throw a good SSD in there and it should work just fine.

i was thinking a 250GB or 500GB Samsung SSD should do the job. 

3 minutes ago, Jayburpz said:

i was thinking a 250GB or 500GB Samsung SSD should do the job. 

Samsung drives generally tend to lean on the more overpriced side for what they offer. I'd look for a Crucial MX500, WD Blue or ADATA SU800, but the 860 Evo is a solid choice regardless if you can get it for a fair price.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

10 hours ago, Jayburpz said:

its just something for now.. i will upgrade it next year or so.

you don't even have to. the build will be more then enough for such task. 

Build Log: 

16 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

you don't even have to. the build will be more then enough for such task. 

Noted with thanks!

16 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Samsung drives generally tend to lean on the more overpriced side for what they offer. I'd look for a Crucial MX500, WD Blue or ADATA SU800, but the 860 Evo is a solid choice regardless if you can get it for a fair price.

cool, that'll save me a some money.

on a separate note, Im wondering, for the time being, will I be able to pull out the old drive from his laptop and stick in in the build as a Boot drive till I find the time to get the new drive? I think there's some photos in there my dad wants to back up and save. Its already got Win10 installed and im hoping to save a few bucks on a new windows install key.

Just now, Jayburpz said:

on a separate note, Im wondering, for the time being, will I be able to pull out the old drive from his laptop and stick in in the build as a Boot drive till I find the time to get the new drive? I think there's some photos in there my dad wants to back up and save. Its already got Win10 installed and im hoping to save a few bucks on a new windows install key.

Well if it's a mechanical drive then it'll obviously be quite slow, but moreover I'd expect some driver weirdness, since Windows 10 installs don't really play too nicely when switching motherboards. 

It should be functional, but still definitely do get a new drive and do a fresh Windows install on it.

4 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Well if it's a mechanical drive then it'll obviously be quite slow, but moreover I'd expect some driver weirdness, since Windows 10 installs don't really play too nicely when switching motherboards. 

It should be functional, but still definitely do get a new drive and do a fresh Windows install on it.

yes,it's a mechanical drive, but its just so he has a PC to work with. already ordered the new SSD which would take about a week to arrive. 

Thanks everyone who replied and gave great guidance! i really appreciate the help.  Guess tmr when i plug in the old HD, i'll know if i have a working PC or not.