installing Asus Strix vertically?

frozensun

hey friends.

I'd really like to install Asus Strix 1660 TI OC edtion vertically since of aesthetics.

But I remember that I read somewhere that some bearings on fans are not recommended to work vertically,but I forgot which one,even if I didn't I yet don't know what bearings this card has.

So bearing is my concern,and heat and cooling not so much since this GPU doesn't heat a lot and I have huge case.

Now I saw a lot of Strix models installed vertically but don't know I'm really really so anxious to have graphics card vertically since I'm affraid that card could get loose or even the riser cable could damage either card or motherboard (I bought TT Riser cable 200mm).

So what are your thoughts about all of this (maybe bull..it)?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

GPU fan bearings are pretty durable in any direction. Not all GPUs are installed in the same orientation and manufacturers have known this for years, HTPCs, ITX cases, and servers will often have vertical GPUs that run fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

16 minutes ago, frozensun said:

But I remember that I read somewhere that some bearings on fans are not recommended to work vertically,but I forgot which one,even if I didn't I yet don't know what bearings this card has.

So bearing is my concern,

^ check @Bartholomew's reply above on one of your other posts, regarding fan bearings.

17 minutes ago, frozensun said:

and heat and cooling not so much since this GPU doesn't heat a lot and I have huge case.

As has been mentioned by someone else on another one of your posts regarding this subject (can't recall exactly which one or whose reply it was), "huge case" doesn't help when the graphics card is pinned against a solid glass side panel.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

^ check @Bartholomew's reply above on one of your other posts, regarding fan bearings.

As has been mentioned by someone else on another one of your posts regarding this subject (can't recall exactly which one or whose reply it was), "huge case" doesn't help when the graphics card is pinned against a solid glass side panel.

it's not pinned,card has like 2 inches clearenace to the side window.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

it's not pinned,card has like 2 inches clearenace to the side window.

But you still have a lot less airflow around the graphics card's fans than if you would mount horizontally, directly into the PCIe slot on the motherboard.

Honestly, at this point just mount it vertically already, check temps and if you're satisfied then just leave it that way.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

But you still have a lot less airflow around the graphics card's fans than if you would mount horizontally, directly into the PCIe slot on the motherboard.

Honestly, at this point just mount it vertically already, check temps and if you're satisfied then just leave it that way.

I wish I could dear friend,just too anxious that riser cable might damage something...board or card.

8 hours ago, frozensun said:

I wish I could dear friend,just too anxious that riser cable might damage something...board or card.

I think at this point you are desperately looking for somebody to tell you that it will damage the card. What you want is a valid excuse not to vertically mount. So I will tell you that, yes, don't do it, mounting the card vertically will likely increase the noise-normallized heat output of the card since it will not breath as well. Therefore you will damage it, so forget about it, and don't vertically mount it.

This answer isn't correct, its not the answer you need, but its the answer you want.