Brand New PC Keeps Crashing

JGuevarra01

Hello! I've been running into problems with my gaming pc crashing while playing video games. I've ran hardware checkers and nothing was wrong plus I've had everything for no more than a month; everything is brand new. When I'm not playing it can run for hours, but the second I start playing about 15-20 minutes in, it crashes. I'm running a Geforce GTX 1660 Super with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and a 650W Bronze plus PSU from PowerSpec. I'll link my full set up at the bottom. I've already reset my PC which worked for my friend. I've check all my connectors. I also adjusted my minimum and maximum processor state to 95%. I ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE to see if it was an overheating issue, but I want to see if I can get any opinions. 

The link leads to all my peripherals and everything that is connected to the pc as well as the actual build.

Overheating wouldn't cause crashes. You would encounter thermal throttling before that. Cancel the order on the new cooler. 

What RAM do you have? It's anything overclocked? 

What motherboard?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When it crashes do you get a BSOD? Any error codes?

I did get a BSOD before I resetted my pc once. After entering event finder the only thing I can see is this. it is the same for everything

Screenshot (1).png

5 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Overheating wouldn't cause crashes. You would encounter thermal throttling before that. 

What RAM do you have? It's anything overclocked? 

If you can count DOCP/XMP as overclocking then just that. I'm running G. Sill Ripjaws V 16Gb kit seeing that it was what worked best with the new B550M mbs.

1 minute ago, JGuevarra01 said:

If you can count DOCP/XMP as overclocking then just that. I'm running G. Sill Ripjaws V 16Gb kit seeing that it was what worked best with the new B550M mbs.

Have you tried running the system with just one stick or doing a Memtest86 run? 

1 minute ago, JGuevarra01 said:

Try disabling the XMP OC and test it out. If it crashes without XMP enabled, then it's not your issue. If it doesn't crash then you can start troubleshooting the XMP profile. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you tried running the system with just one stick or doing a Memtest86 run? 

I have done neither. Do you minnd telling me what memtest86 is? and another commenter said to disable my docp first.

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Try disabling the XMP OC and test it out. If it crashes without XMP enabled, then it's not your issue. If it doesn't crash then you can start troubleshooting the XMP profile. 

i will try that. thank you.

5 minutes ago, JGuevarra01 said:

I have done neither. Do you minnd telling me what memtest86 is? and another commenter said to disable my docp first.

Memtest86 Writing a tutorial on it is on my to-do list. It's a RAM diagnostic tool that tests your ram for errors.

Disabling any form of overclocking though (this includes XMP/DOCP) is the first thing you should do when troubleshooting system instability. After that you can try swapping out hardware or running diagnostic tools if issues persist.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Memtest86 Writing a tutorial on it is on my to-do list. It's a RAM diagnostic tool that tests your ram for errors.

Disabling any form of overclocking though (this includes XMP/DOCP) is the first thing you should do when troubleshooting system instability. After that you can try swapping out hardware or running diagnostic tools if issues persist.

what diagnostic tool would you recommend besides memtest86? also a tutorial would be very helpful whenever you end up making one

22 minutes ago, JGuevarra01 said:

what diagnostic tool would you recommend besides memtest86? also a tutorial would be very helpful whenever you end up making one

1) Disable XMP and test like I posted earlier

2) MemTest Tutorial

If neither of those get you anywhere, report back and we can help you from there. 

ask me about my homelab

10 minutes ago, Skipple said:

2) MemTest Tutorial

If neither of those get you anywhere, report back and we can help you from there. 

so far ive been playing for about half an hour after disabling xmp. im gonna be playing a lot more tonight so ill respond the second it happens.

22 minutes ago, Skipple said:

2) MemTest Tutorial

im having trouble changing my boot drive to the usb, nothing was showing up under my boot options except for my m.2 which has windows.

42 minutes ago, JGuevarra01 said:

Beyond memtest it's usually easier to just start pulling hardware and testing with different hardware. Other diagnostic tools do exists for other hardware but I've not tried exploring any enough myself to make any mentions here.

Going to be a while. Working on a remote access tutorial for servers & NASs at the moment and it's slow going.

Seems like ram issue.i have the same issue. Disable xmp, unfortunately u won't get yh max.speedwvbut you only losenlike 3 fps sorry for garbage typing new.phone I can't type on

2 minutes ago, JGuevarra01 said:

im having trouble changing my boot drive to the usb, nothing was showing up under my boot options except for my m.2 which has windows.

Based on what I've read Memtest86+ is a fork of Memtest86 and has a bit of a checkered past. If you aren't able to get it working try the original as I mentioned earlier in this thread. You can write the .ISO file to a thumb drive using Rufus then boot from the USB. This works on newer systems.

8 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Seems like ram issue.i have the same issue. Disable xmp, unfortunately u won't get yh max.speedwvbut you only losenlike 3 fps sorry for garbage typing new.phone I can't type on

are you running the latest gen mb like i am? i have an asus prime b550m-a. im assuming that the b550 mbs prefer other ram stick because of how new it is.

also as i was building my pc, my ram sticks didn't automatically click. but i was able manually push in the tabs without forcing it

Just now, JGuevarra01 said:

im assuming that the b550 mbs prefer other ram stick because of how new it is.

Nah. For the most part, DDR4 RAM is DDR4 RAM. 

ask me about my homelab

12 minutes ago, JGuevarra01 said:

are you running the latest gen mb like i am? i have an asus prime b550m-a. im assuming that the b550 mbs prefer other ram stick because of how new it is.

i have b450 i dont even have xmp on anymore and i just got a blackscreen restart (first after like 8 months god damn it)

yeah it was definitely an xmp thing. ive been playing for a few hours and no problems

44 minutes ago, JGuevarra01 said:

yeah it was definitely an xmp thing. ive been playing for a few hours and no problems

Okay, next step is to reenable and ensure you have the correct XMP profile applied with your memory frequency and timings.

ask me about my homelab

15 hours ago, Skipple said:

Okay, next step is to reenable and ensure you have the correct XMP profile applied with your memory frequency and timings.

I just used profile 1/DOCP. My ram is 3600mhz. 

2 hours ago, JGuevarra01 said:

I just used profile 1/DOCP. My ram is 3600mhz. 

Check the timings of the profile vs the timings of your RAM

ask me about my homelab