The Horizon Zero Dawn port looks to be trash

SteveGrabowski0

Man what is Sony thinking with such a garbage port? A PS4 game that can't run at 1080p60 fps on even an RX 580? Much less struggling to run 1080p30 on a GTX 1060. How exactly is Sony expecting putting out this amazing game in such a terrible state is going to motivate PC gamers to buy a PS5 to play the sequel? I'm just amazed it can run so badly when it was a rock solid 1080p30 on the weak-ass PS4 Slim. A GTX 1060 is at least three times the gpu as what's in the base PS4, it should have no problem running a game like this at 1080p60.

How can they even have GTX 1060 as a recommended gpu when it struggles with 1080p30? GTX 1060 6GB and RX 580 8GB are the officially recommended gpus for the game and neither runs it well. But the 1060 6GB runs it especially poorly.

Digital Foundry usually do an update if a game is fixed so I will wait and see.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

This is why i never buy PC games when they first come out, i'll wait 6 months and hopefully it will be fixed and half the price.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I'm really disappointed

Hopefully is a pandemic thing and this will be fixed

Imagine a game wasting 21 gigs of ram

Not sure what's going on with the pre-release reviews, especially Digital Foundry's. Though, the DF reviewer didn't even know he was running his graphics card in an 8x slot, rather than a 16x, so let's just say that particular review is probably not up to DF's typically high standards.

I've been playing this now for about an hour, and frankly, I'm not seeing any real issues. I'm only getting like 45-50fps, but I'm running on a 3700X with a 5600 XT at 3440x1440 on Ultra with clouds, shadows, and reflections dialed down to High, because the extra quality doesn't warrant the extra performance hit on those. Still ultra textures and models, though.

I can easily do 60+ fps if I drop the quality or resolution, but I'm not as sensitive as a lot of people are to sub 60 fps and prefer to extra visual quality. Regardless, all the negative reviews seem like a big nothing burger to me.

It's worth mentioning, though that all of the reviews I've seen are running Nvidia graphics cards, and at least some of them were running 6-core CPUs. This game does like cores, and I'm throwing two extra at it. The PS4 for which it was originally designed uses AMD graphics, so it's also possible the port prefers that as well. I'd be very interested to see if the performance issues reviewers noted sort out to be an Nvidia vs AMD thing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

lowest setting at 1440p in my 1070 cant even get a consistent 60 I half expected it to be like that , crashed twice, @1080p I get occasionall stuttering garbage 1%lows but consitent 80-90 frames. this is by far the worst port Ive seen in a while

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

Not sure what's going on with the pre-release reviews, especially Digital Foundry's. Though, the DF reviewer didn't even know he was running his graphics card in an 8x slot, rather than a 16x, so let's just say that particular review is probably not up to DF's typically high standards.

I've been playing this now for about an hour, and frankly, I'm not seeing any real issues. I'm only getting like 45-50fps, but I'm running on a 3700X with a 5600 XT at 3440x1440 on Ultra with clouds, shadows, and reflections dialed down to High, because the extra quality doesn't warrant the extra performance hit on those. Still ultra textures and models, though.

I can easily do 60+ fps if I drop the quality or resolution, but I'm not as sensitive as a lot of people are to sub 60 fps and prefer to extra visual quality. Regardless, all the negative reviews seem like a big nothing burger to me.

It's worth mentioning, though that all of the reviews I've seen are running Nvidia graphics cards, and at least some of them were running 6-core CPUs. This game does like cores, and I'm throwing two extra at it. The PS4 for which it was originally designed uses AMD graphics, so it's also possible the port prefers that as well. I'd be very interested to see if the performance issues reviewers noted sort out to be an Nvidia vs AMD thing.

While that review had that HUGE cavet, it seems that your mileage may vary with this game. It seems to be very specific. Look at what Rice is experiencing

1 hour ago, recon_zero_ said:

While that review had that HUGE cavet, it seems that your mileage may vary with this game. It seems to be very specific. Look at what Rice is experiencing

Again, with the Nvidia cards, though. Really starting to think there's something Nvidia specific about the issues. That's not to say that it's not still a problem with the port, but perhaps a little more understandable since the title was born on AMD graphics.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I blame WAH enviroments. Maybe a driver update will fix. But releasing a game in this state in 2020 is weird.

Death Stranding port was superb

So I've run their benchmark a few times today. here are my results with the following settings:

Now, my tests are anecdotal of course, but at 1440p, you can see that you DO get a performance bump going from 8x PCIE to 16x PCIE. It's a shame that they didn't use DLSS 2.0 on this game like they did with Death Stranding (same game engine, FYI). But I can say this - Death Stranding has way more open spaces and long distances that are barren. Horizon Zero Dawn has much more lush landscapes and other "stuff" in the world. 

That being said - I'm still going to play the hell out of it, loved it on PS4 Pro (was actually the reason I bought the Pro).

Quality - No V-sync - 8x PCIE GPU

Quality_8x_Novsync.png

Quality - V-sync - 8x PCIE GPU

Quality_8x_Vsync.png

Quality - No V-sync - 16x PCIE GPU

Quality_16x_Novsync.png

Ultimate Quality - No V-sync - 8x PCIE GPU

Ultimate_8x_Novsync.png

Ultimate Quality - V-sync - 8x PCIE GPU

Ultimate_8x_vsync.png

Ultimate Quality - No V-sync - 16x PCIE GPU

Ultimate_16x_Vsync.png

how do you change between 8x and 16x?

--------------------------------------

R5 3600, GTX 1080 8 GB, 32 GB 3600Mhz

Changed Power to Performance, and with some tweaking managed to get an almost locked 60fps. There are drops here and there specially in cutscenes.

Settings

KwXdAVw.jpg 

xeYS8ll.jpg 

hChjP0f.jpg 

5 minutes ago, recon_zero_ said:

how do you change between 8x and 16x?

I pulled 2 PCIE cards out of my system.