RX 470 Mining Edition (With DVI Port) For Gaming?

I remember plenty of tutorials for using the nVidia P106 and other mining editions of the RX 470 for gaming. They all required flashing the BIOS and using an integrated GPU to output the video. However, I noticed there are some mining editions of the RX 470 that actually come with a DVI output on it. Can these mining GPUs be used as gaming GPUs without needing to flash the BIOS and using an iGPU? I presume the DVI port must be used for video output so what would happen if I used one of these RX 470s as a primary GPU for gaming and output video directly through it? Or would there need to be more done in order to use them for gaming? 

you need to flash the bios anyway but i dont recommend you buying a mining card for gaming

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

22 minutes ago, mahyar said:

you need to flash the bios anyway but i dont recommend you buying a mining card for gaming

Out of curiosity, what could I expect if I didn't flash the BIOS and used it as is? I assume the video output would still work but what would happen if I tried to game with the default BIOS? I'm mainly interested in this card because I'm looking to replace the GTX 1050 in it with something better but cheap that'll get the job done (not doing any high end gaming on this particular PC). 

it will post but it will effect gaming performance 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

10 minutes ago, Generalkidd said:

used it as is?

Could cause problems. You could not even display an image (which is possible) or you could not be able to install drivers. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, Generalkidd said:

used it as is?

Could cause problems. You could not even display an image (which is possible) or you could not be able to install drivers. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Could you not just look at the gtx 1650? A nice upgrade from the 1050, and no need to worry about the flashing bios.

From what i've seen, a cheap 1650 is the same price as the 4GB 470 anyway. Also, most cheaper 1650's sip power from the PCIE slot so no need to worry about the 6pin power connection

6 hours ago, owencrispy said:

Could you not just look at the gtx 1650? A nice upgrade from the 1050, and no need to worry about the flashing bios.

From what i've seen, a cheap 1650 is the same price as the 4GB 470 anyway. Also, most cheaper 1650's sip power from the PCIE slot so no need to worry about the 6pin power connection

Well since this is a mining edition of the 470, much like the P106, they're going for pretty low prices on ebay, around $80 at the moment. So around half the price of a 1650 currently. I don't mind flashing the BIOS but I was curious what kind of functionality I could expect with the default BIOS since this mining GPU has a DVI port on it unlike most other mining cards. 

6 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Shouldn't be a problem for me to flash the BIOS then. I was mainly curious about why it'd have a DVI port built in when most other mining GPUs that I'm aware of have no such port and how what kind of video output functionality or capabilities this mining card might have with the stock BIOS. 

10 hours ago, Generalkidd said:

it'd have a DVI port

some are used and do display an image, it's just some functionality it messed up for a casual user, like drivers etc. 

Build Log: