Tips For First Time Game Makers

So I plan to start my first game in unreal engine blueprint mode soon, (a side scroller probably) does anyone have any tips for me, or things I should know, I've already seen some tutorials on how to use it in general.

@Johnny-Boi or DM me on discord

@King of Reeeeee Land#9814  

PC is a work in progress, open to any tips and suggestions with ways listed above 😉

I assume you have some knowledge of a programming language? 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, Johnny-Boi said:

So I plan to start my first game in unreal engine blueprint mode soon, (a side scroller probably) does anyone have any tips for me, or things I should know, I've already seen some tutorials on how to use it in general.

One thing at a time. I sometimes find myself halfway through a particular feature and get completely side tracked by another, this isn't great as sometimes you may forget where you were on your previous feature. 

Use the MoSCoW method to make a list of everything that you MUST have, SHOULD have, COULD have, and WON'T have. 

The won't have section doesn't mean you'll NEVER add those ideas, it just means that in this specific iteration of the methodology that you select you won't add this feature. Nothings stopping you from adding it to the next one, though.

Speaking of methodologies, it's a good idea to find one which is best for you, although they're typically reserved for larger projects, nothing is stopping you from using one now.

And most importantly, don't let anyone make you stop. If you're feeling unmotivated, move to a different feature (slightly going a-back on my previous tip there :D) or a different part of the game entirely. 

Good luck!

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

I assume you have some knowledge of a programming language? 

No actually, that's why I'm using blueprint mode. But I'm about to start learning python and html for school 

PC is a work in progress, open to any tips and suggestions with ways listed above 😉

Python isn't really ideal for game design. It is usable, but doesn't perform as well as C++ or C#. I would suggest getting comfortable with Unity or UE4, see Unity Learn or UE4 Documentation. HTML, which is different from HTML5, has little relevance in game programming.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

@PorkishPig I know, it's a requirement for 8th grade. How hard is it to learn C++?

7 minutes ago, Johnny-Boi said:

@PorkishPig I know, it's a requirement for 8th grade. How hard is it to learn C++?

Python is an excellent language to start with. C++ has a bit of a learning curve, especially in terms of syntax, but it will come more naturally once you get your first language down.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

C++ is rather hard, but understanding Blueprint is a good way to go. BP is basically slightly dumbed down (but more straightforward) C++, and most of the syntax commonly used in UE4 are represented in BP. If you can master BP (and have some understanding to C/C++ basics), you could translate your own BPs to C++ by hand without you realising it. 

There is an option for using Python in scripting department, but most other UE4 devs uses either BP and/or C++ anyway, so expect less collab works and more script conflict and inconsistencies if you're assigned to do so.

And if you're getting started, don't even think much about performance yet. It's an entire rabbit hole to delve through, so nail the basics first. If it comes to actually distributing your game, at that point, you can think about optimising performance of your game.

2 hours ago, Johnny-Boi said:

No actually, that's why I'm using blueprint mode. But I'm about to start learning python and html for school 

then learn the basics of programming first and then maybe come back to unreal engine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Finish the damn game. 

Keep your scope small. Never expand it. 

Don't except your team to do anything. 

Games are tough for people who aren't already programmers or artists.
Games are tough for people who are already programmers or artists.
Games are just tough.

My advice is to stick with it, even if you feel like it's taking too long or you are getting bored. Your first game probably won't be fun to make, and it definitely won't be fun to play. But trust me, there is almost no better feeling than seeing a GUI application (which is ostensibly all a game really is) actually work the way you intended it to.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 8/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, Johnny-Boi said:

dude, c# syntax is nasty enough for first time learners, c++ is even older.
Once you master/get really good at a specific programming language, its really easy to learn a different one under a day, because you will already know how everything works/functions, all you would need to know is the syntax/commands.
Please tell me what type of game will you make?

5 hours ago, the sff pc dude said:

dude, c# syntax is nasty enough for first time learners, c++ is even older.
Once you master/get really good at a specific programming language, its really easy to learn a different one under a day, because you will already know how everything works/functions, all you would need to know is the syntax/commands.
Please tell me what type of game will you make?

i'm doing a side scroller, and maybe a platformer. 

8 minutes ago, Johnny-Boi said:

i'm doing a side scroller, and maybe a platformer. 

ye stick with python fn

3 hours ago, the sff pc dude said:

ye stick with python fn

alright, will do