4K rezolution not available on a GTX 1060

HeLiOn
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
1 minute ago, jaslion said:

That is the tv. Try putting it into gamemode and disabling any processing features like motion smoothing, colour correcting, resolution upping,...

I have the C9 myself, basically the same TV. You have to set the input source to PC. Then the auto-low-latence mode kicks in. Then you can either set it to 4K 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz in the NVIDIA control panel. I prefer 1440p 120Hz myself because the upscaling in this TV is so good, 1440p looks almost like native 4K.

I have this secondary PC on which I mounted an Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB.

I connected an LG E9 OLED TV to it through a DP-HDMI cable.
The GPU seems to work just fine, but the maximum resolution available is 1920x1080.
As far as I heard the 1060 can support 4K rezolutions just fine. What am I doing wrong here?

Is your DP to HDMI adapter 4K-capable? Most aren't.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Not Wills said:

Plug it in directly though hdmi if possible then it should work

They likely already have another monitor in the HDMI port, but that one might be better suited for DP...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Thanks, it was indeed the DP cable at fault.
I managed to get the 4K rezolution, but it seems to have a ton of input lag for some reason.

3 minutes ago, HeLiOn said:

Thanks, it was indeed the DP cable at fault.
I managed to get the 4K rezolution, but it seems to have a ton of input lag for some reason.

That is the tv. Try putting it into gamemode and disabling any processing features like motion smoothing, colour correcting, resolution upping,...

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I have the C9 myself, basically the same TV. You have to set the input source to PC. Then the auto-low-latence mode kicks in. Then you can either set it to 4K 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz in the NVIDIA control panel. I prefer 1440p 120Hz myself because the upscaling in this TV is so good, 1440p looks almost like native 4K.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

On my lg 4k TV game mode don't remove lantany, it just makes it look bad but that is with hdr on.

This is not true with this particular TV OP has. The image looks almost as good as with all the post-processing in movie modes, but the input lag drops from >100ms in movie modes to ~12ms @60Hz or ~7ms at 120Hz in game mode, regardless of the HDR settings.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thanks guys. Turning game mode on, solved the lag issue. It behaves like a normal monitor now. 

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I wanted to get the C9 myself but they stopped manufacturing them and we ran out of stock. Got this one after carefully looking at the specs.
Thank you for the advice, I'll try it out.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I prefer 1440p 120Hz myself because the upscaling in this TV is so good, 1440p looks almost like native 4K.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me. Setting the 120 refresh rate puts the rezolution to 640x480.
I think I'll just stick to 4K 60Hz.

3 minutes ago, HeLiOn said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me. Setting the 120 refresh rate puts the rezolution to 640x480.
I think I'll just stick to 4K 60Hz.

What connection do you have now? HDMI? DP? DP-HDMI? You need at least a HDMI 2.0 capable cable for either 4K 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz to work. I'd NOT reccomend to use any DP to HDMI adapters.

Edit: 4K 120Hz is currently not possible, as this needs HDMI 2.1 bandwidth and there is currently no output device that uses HDMI 2.1. All next-gen consoles and GPUs are planning to use the new HDMI 2.1 standard. And if you have a RTX2000 card or newer even G-Sync works with this TV.

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

What connection do you have now? HDMI? DP? DP-HDMI? You need at least a HDMI 2.0 capable cable for either 4K 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz to work. I'd NOT reccomend to use any DP to HDMI adapters.

It's an HDMI-HDMI cable, but it's probably not capable for 2.0.
It's fine, though. This is a secondary PC (pretty old). I doubt I'll be running games at those framerates anyway.
The PC will stay in the bedroom, and it will occasionally be used for movies or internet browsing. Setting it up for high performance isn't a priority.

1 minute ago, HeLiOn said:

It's an HDMI-HDMI cable, but it's probably not capable for 2.0.
It's fine, though. This is a secondary PC (pretty old). I doubt I'll be running games at those framerates anyway.
The PC will stay in the bedroom, and it will occasionally be used for movies or internet browsing. Setting it up for high performance isn't a priority.

Oh okay then. I strongly recommend to use the internal Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube apps to watch movies, not the PC. Especially with netflix. Through a browser on your PC it is limited to 720p for whatever reason and doesn't support any HDR or Dolby Vision signals.

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

Oh okay then. I strongly recommend to use the internal Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube apps to watch movies, not the PC. Especially with netflix. Through a browser on your PC it is limited to 720p for whatever reason and doesn't support any HDR or Dolby Vision signals.

Yes, I already am using those, of course, but there are certain movies you can't find on all these services (mostly old ones).
In these very rare cases I'll be relying on other apps. 

I also like to have a proper internet access point in that bedroom for when my parents drop by, so they don't have to set up their own stuff everytime.
As for me, whenever I'm not using the streaming services on this TV, I'll probably enjoy good old games in 4K HDR.