Is PCIe riser board affect GPU performance ?

roastedkitten

Yes, your GPU performance will be very bad. It's meant for Bitcoing mining where you want as many GPUs for one system.

18 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Yes, your GPU performance will be very bad. It's meant for Bitcoing mining where you want as many GPUs for one system.

It's that riser board affect GPU performance so much ?, i am use with one GTX card (i buy used) and one xeon phi, this purpose is only for learning CUDA programming and xeon phi programming and also for extend USB slots

Is there any significance performance affect in this case ?

PCIe x1 doesn't carry anywhere near enough bandwidth for a single midrange GPU, let alone four. That board isn't meant to be used for normal applications. Because of the bandwidth limitations, you're not going to get good performance off of those. Like, at all, under any circumstances.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, roastedkitten said:

Is there any significance performance affect in this case ?

depends if your tasks is bandwidth heavy on the PCIE

tasks like mining requires very little bandwidth, so this is fine

but tasks like gaming requires more bandwidth, more than pcie 3.0 x1

2 minutes ago, roastedkitten said:

only for learning CUDA programming and xeon phi programming

not too sure bout these

also for extend USB slots

do you mean a PCIE usb card or the USB that is shown in the pic?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, aisle9 said:

Like, at all, under any circumstances.

mining

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

depends if your tasks is bandwidth heavy on the PCIE

tasks like mining requires very little bandwidth, so this is fine

but tasks like gaming requires more bandwidth, more than pcie 3.0 x1

not too sure bout these

do you mean a PCIE usb card or the USB that is shown in the pic?

USB PCIe extension card attached to this x16 slots, 2 slots for GPU, 2 slots for USB expansion card

Is i can get enough bandwith ?

Just now, roastedkitten said:

USB PCIe extension card attached to this x16 slots, 2 slots for GPU, 2 slots for USB expansion card

then ok, never plug anything into the "USB" ports on these

image.png.9098616b92e11ca72139bfdfbd69c664.png

it's just a plug, the wiring is entirely different and you might fry your device

Is i can get enough bandwith ?

depends on your tasks, which im not familiar with

4 minutes ago, roastedkitten said:

Is there any alternative for this PCIe expansion board ?, with more cheap price, maybe about $300-$800

It's to expensive for me, btw my all 4 GPUs is only around $1500, but this board is about $1695 😅

https://www.onestopsystems.com/product/expansion-backplane-8-pcie-x8-slots-452

This expansion card is maybe same with Linus have in this $100,000 PC for 6 editors

@Moonzy@Darpyface@aisle9

3 minutes ago, roastedkitten said:

This expansion card is maybe same with Linus have in this $100,000 PC for 6 editors

@Moonzy@Darpyface@aisle9

you're better off buying a motherboard and use 1 to 1 extension that doesnt require any logic chips on it, it's those chips that's making them cost so much

a normal 16x riser is few dollars, and works as if the card is plugged directly into the board

why do you need a 1 pcie to multiple pcie expansion card? ran out of pcie on ATX board?

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you're better off buying a motherboard and use 1 to 1 extension that doesnt require any logic chips on it, it's those chips that's making them cost so much

a normal 16x riser is few dollars, and works as if the card is plugged directly into the board

why do you need a 1 pcie to multiple pcie expansion card? ran out of pcie on ATX board?

Yes, i run out of PCIe in my motherboard, and my asus Z10PE D16 WS motherboard have six PCIe x16 slots

Alternative motherboard from supermicro is about ~ $2000-$3000 with 10 slots PCIe

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z10PED16_WS/

Yes, i run out of PCIe in my motherboard, and my asus Z10PE D16 WS motherboard have six PCIe x16 slots

Alternative motherboard from supermicro is about ~ $2000-$3000 with 10 slots PCIe

why not get a second system and remote into the second pc?

hmm... then you'll need one of those boards, unless you can find out if your tasks needs that much bandwidth

PLX chips are expensive

4 minutes ago, roastedkitten said:

what do you have in all the 6 slots? You can use risers to make 2 slot card into 1 slot usage cards. And you might be able to remove a few aswell.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why not get a second system and remote into the second pc?

I use special software that needs difference GPUs in one motherboard, it's difficult to use more than one motherboard, this PC is for scientific and small backend server (node js and php with mysql and apche)

what do you have in all the 6 slots? You can use risers to make 2 slot card into 1 slot usage cards. And you might be able to remove a few aswell.

I was use all 6 slots with riser extension cable, i currently use my PC build with 2 PC Case

I use special software that needs difference GPUs in one motherboard, it's difficult to use more than one motherboard, this PC is for scientific and small backend server (node js and php with mysql and apche)

what exact cards do you have in the system now?

Can you switch to a server with many more expansion slots?

Also you said something about a xeon phi earlier, what are you doing with that? Didn't intel kill that a bit ago.

I was use all 6 slots with riser extension cable, i currently use my PC build with 2 PC Case

Because one PC case is not enough for all periperhals and GPUs

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what exact cards do you have in the system now?

Can you switch to a server with many more expansion slots?

Also you said something about a xeon phi earlier, what are you doing with that? Didn't intel kill that a bit ago.

I currently have nitro+ rx 590, gigabyte rx vega 64, xeon phi, asus gtx 1070 dual oc, rtx 2060 and nvidia tesla k80

With two xeon e5-2699v4 processor

I use xeon phi for scientific resources

I currently have nitro+ rx 590, gigabyte rx vega 64, xeon phi, asus gtx 1070 dual oc, rtx 2060 and nvidia tesla k80

My office needs software with xeon phi accelereated, because there have lots off xeon phi (about 97 pcs)

that seems like a weird gpu setup, you sure you can't just get a single faster card from amd and nvidia?

Also How about a server like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4U-Supermicro-X10DRG-OT-Server-AI-8x-NVIDIA-Tesla-GPU-4028GR-TR2-Supports-RDMA/133404982444?hash=item1f0f8e7cac:g:aN4AAOSwArteRdXt

that seems like a weird gpu setup, you sure you can't just get a single faster card from amd and nvidia?

Also How about a server like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4U-Supermicro-X10DRG-OT-Server-AI-8x-NVIDIA-Tesla-GPU-4028GR-TR2-Supports-RDMA/133404982444?hash=item1f0f8e7cac:g:aN4AAOSwArteRdXt

Yes, i know, this GPU setup is very weird, but i buy these GPUs from my colleague and they are used, with about 40% prices, and these GPUs is very fine

Yes, i know, this GPU setup is very weird, but i buy these GPUs from my colleague and they are used, with about 40% prices, and these GPUs is very fine

but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a single faster gpu than having to swap the whole board out? Like a single 2080ti should be faster in most uses than all of these gpus toghether.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a single faster gpu than having to swap the whole board out? Like a single 2080ti should be faster in most uses than all of these gpus toghether.

My software needs CUDA cores but also needs AMD's GPUs cores and that software architecture is very crazy, in my office now needs to implements accelereation with xeon phi 😵, since this PC is for small backend server for backup and testing also for software development, i needs all of these GPUs