I am building a computer, and need help for CPU choice

I am trying to build a PC to competitively play games like Fortnite, and Warzone at above 240 fps in even intense scenarios. I have a 240hz monitor btw. I am on a budget though, and have narrowed my choices to the 9700k, and the 3800x. Nobody lecture me about price to performance, because AMD wins, but I want to know if the Intel chip will perform a lot better when overclocked. Cooling is no problem as I have a Deepcool Assassin III. Which will perform better in extreme framrates: the 9700k overclocked, or a 3800x.

3 minutes ago, Maniac.FN said:

I am trying to build a PC to competitively play games like Fortnite, and Warzone at above 240 fps in even intense scenarios. I have a 240hz monitor btw. I am on a budget though, and have narrowed my choices to the 9700k, and the 3800x. Nobody lecture me about price to performance, because AMD wins, but I want to know if the Intel chip will perform a lot better when overclocked. Cooling is no problem as I have a Deepcool Assassin III. Which will perform better in extreme framrates: the 9700k overclocked, or a 3800x.

Who told you that AMD CPUs didn't perform well when overclocked? Just get the 3800x. Also, your graphics card is gonna play a bigger part into what framerates you get.

Well overclock doesn’t matter to much in some cases and just look at the price the amd is more worth it more performance maybe you can’t reach super high ghz but it has more threads

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Well overclock doesn’t matter to much in some cases and just look at the price the amd is more worth it more performance maybe you can’t reach super high ghz but it has more threads

well many modern games cant scale well in more than 8 threads

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

My graphics is fine. RTX 2080. I didn't say AMD didn't perform as well overclocked, sorry for the misunderstanding. I know AMD overclocking doesn't improve it a whole ton, and I want to know if the 9700k, when overclocked, performs better than the 3800x, overclocked or not.

have you bought the motherboard?

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

well many modern games cant scale well in more than 8 threads

True

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Thank you mahyar, but I narrowed the choices down to these for that reason, and price. The 9900k is just a better binned, hotter 9700k.

1 minute ago, Maniac.FN said:

My graphics is fine. RTX 2080. I didn't say AMD didn't perform as well overclocked, sorry for the misunderstanding. I know AMD overclocking doesn't improve it a whole ton, and I want to know if the 9700k, when overclocked, performs better than the 3800x, overclocked or not.

I don't know, but honestly you would probably be fine with either and get super high framerates. I would personally go AMD because they have a much better value and are probably just gonna be be best in the long run.

if you didnt have bought the mobo you can go with 10600k its about same price and beats 9700k by a little bit and has a better upgrade path

I haven't bought a motherboard. I am waiting to choose CPU. I planned to use Asus ROG z390e for Intel, and X570 TUF for AMD.

I kinda did want to go with 10th gen, but the 10600k does perform slightly worse due to only 6 cores in those two games I mentioned. I would be willing to try if you could prove it performs better. I am considering 10700k, but only if it performs a good bit better than the 9900k.

I haven't bought a motherboard. I am waiting to choose CPU. I planned to use Asus ROG z390e for Intel, and X570 TUF for AMD.

pls quote me and as i said 10600k is better than 9700k

if you are only gaming (even producvity), the 3800x is not worth it, save your money and get the 3700x

https://www.techspot.com/review/1899-ryzen-3800x-vs-3700x-difference/

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Maniac.FN said:

I kinda did want to go with 10th gen, but the 10600k does perform slightly worse due to only 6 cores in those two games I mentioned. I would be willing to try if you could prove it performs better. I am considering 10700k, but only if it performs a good bit better than the 9900k.

10600k has hyper threading and is based on newer architecture 

3800x is only 30-40 bucks more expensive, and I am kinda leaning towards Intel.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-9700K+%40+3.60GHz&id=3335

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-10600K+%40+4.10GHz&id=3735

Actually mahyar, it is still the same architecture as Skylake I am pretty sure.

Just now, Maniac.FN said:

Actually mahyar, it is still the same architecture as Skylake I am pretty sure.

It has a new socket

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

It has a new socket

and a better upgrade path

New socket, more power consumed, better thermals, and same architecture as 5 years ago.

Better upgrade path as in next gen you mean? I guess if I got a cheaper one now, I could upgrade to a better one later.

New socket, more power consumed, better thermals, and same architecture as 5 years ago.

just intel being intel

Better 11th gen I mean. What motherboard would you suggest for heavy overclocking?