Upgrade

NLamki

So my PC parts are coming here in about a week or so. I went with a budget build and slowly upgrade. 

I am currently running:

• Ryzen 3 3200G
  • B450M
  • 16gb RAM
  • 500gb SSD M.2
  • 1TB 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD
  • 500W PSU
  • MSI Vampiric case

The case has one exhaust fan so I'm planning on running more fans with my next build. Also I just noticed something, the front panel doesn't look like it supports a frontal intake but I have yet to see the physical product to see if thats the situation.

Anyway enough explaining, I plan on upgrading the CPU and adding a gpu either the 2070 (or super depending on price) or 3070 depending on when that releases.

So I'd appreciate it if someone could suggest a CPU and GPU. My budget is around 250 USD for the CPU and about 500 for the GPU.
I don't stream, I just plan on gaming on it and some college work (Research, video calls, assignments etc.) However, I want a smooth experience, I'm okay with spending an extra 50 or 100 on a better CPU for better responsiveness.

Thank you!.

What psu do you have? 500w means nothing we need to know the model number to even know if it's possible. We also need to know what board you have as there are b450 boards that are just bad and don't really handle higher power cpu's well at all.

The case you got has not great airflow and you may want to look at just replacing it with a cheap airflow focused case in the future.

To change CPU, I think r5 3600 is all that you need, also you can wait for ryzen new line of precessors. But for 2070/ super, you will probably need a new PSU 550/650. So maybe a 2060 super is what you need. All those may vary, depending on your game settings and monitor. Don't expect to run a 2k 240htz display on a AAA game of 2020. Also new line up of GPU is coming soon

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What psu do you have? 500w means nothing we need to know the model number to even know if it's possible. We also need to know what board you have as there are b450 boards that are just bad and don't really handle higher power cpu's well at all.

The case you got has not great airflow and you may want to look at just replacing it with a cheap airflow focused case in the future.

• I bought it as a combo deal from a local store, I don't know the manufacturer of the psu, mobo and ram.

18 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

To change CPU, I think r5 3600 is all that you need, also you can wait for ryzen new line of precessors. But for 2070/ super, you will probably need a new PSU 550/650. So maybe a 2060 super is what you need. All those may vary, depending on your game settings and monitor. Don't expect to run a 2k 240htz display on a AAA game of 2020. Also new line up of GPU is coming soon

Yeah I think I'll just save and wait.

13 minutes ago, NLamki said:
  • I bought it as a combo deal from a local store, I don't know the manufacturer of the psu, mobo and ram.

OK, to find the motherboard and RAM you can use a program called CPU-Z. Take screenshots of the ‘RAM’ and the ‘Mainboard/Motherboard’ tabs. 

19 minutes ago, NLamki said:

Once you get it let us know as without knowing the motherboard and psu it is very hard to recommend anything.

13 minutes ago, gloop said:

OK, to find the motherboard and RAM you can use a program called CPU-Z. Take screenshots of the ‘RAM’ and the ‘Mainboard/Motherboard’ tabs. 

I haven't gotten the parts yet. I'll let you know them when I get them.

@jaslion @PeachGr @gloop I got the seller to send me some pics. 

• 500 PSU (power supply dn500)
  • Motherboard (asrock b450m-hdv r4.0)

I think I may need to just upgrade the Case, PSU and throw in an RGB AIO. Then slowly start upgrading.

My current plan is first 

CPU

then GPU

then RAM.

Do I need to upgrade the psu?

Look. Every GPU, on the spec list, has the minimum power that needs. So for a 2070 super it is 650. 

If you plan to use hardware that needs big power consumption, you need a good pau anyway. Pau is more efficient at 60% of the load, not to mention that it is losing a little bit if it's capabilities after years. 

Search for tdp for each unit, or better list all on part picker, to she the power consumption that your system has

47 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Look. Every GPU, on the spec list, has the minimum power that needs. So for a 2070 super it is 650. 

If you plan to use hardware that needs big power consumption, you need a good pau anyway. Pau is more efficient at 60% of the load, not to mention that it is losing a little bit if it's capabilities after years. 

Search for tdp for each unit, or better list all on part picker, to she the power consumption that your system has

Yeah I was thinking about the part picker, Definitly gonna try that once I learn my budget. (I have enough $$ to build an overkill PC but I'm in college so I don't want to spend it all as I have no source of income yet).

On 7/31/2020 at 4:54 PM, NLamki said:

MSI Vampiric case

id say upgrade your case first
cause that one is a hot box by the looks of it

spacer.png

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

2 hours ago, NLamki said:

@jaslion @PeachGr @gloop I got the seller to send me some pics. 

• 500 PSU (power supply dn500)
  • Motherboard (asrock b450m-hdv r4.0)

I think I may need to just upgrade the Case, PSU and throw in an RGB AIO. Then slowly start upgrading.

My current plan is first 

CPU

then GPU

then RAM.

Do I need to upgrade the psu?

So the problem is that well. Your motherboard is really really bad as in 6 core cpus would really be pushing it. The psu is just garbage and needs to be replaced. Rgb is the least of your worries now.

What you should do is. Return the system and get decent parts. As is now the only thing I could recommend you do to it is sell it and get a whole new system. Ryzen 4000 (3rd gen ryzen) is coming out very soon. Nvidia's 3000 series is less than a month away now. Amds new cards are basically here and ryzen 4000 apu's are out now.