what do yo think the minimum specs for a pc is in 2020?

On 11/24/2020 at 6:35 AM, whm1974 said:

500GB SSD

On 11/24/2020 at 6:36 AM, Mark Kaine said:

ssd

18 hours ago, RGProductions said:

ssd

It seems like the people here want to avoid using an HDD in minimum spec system. A good HDD works FINE for normally average tasks and more. Many people are still using HDD's for there boot drive and are not complaining about it, even I am still using an HDD as a boot drive and I game, record, stream and edit videos just fine.

As some people have said or implied for the minimum, it depends on the use case.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

14 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

It seems like the people here want to avoid using an HDD in minimum spec system. A good HDD works FINE for normally average tasks and more. Many people are still using HDD's for there boot drive and are not complaining about it, even I am still using an HDD as a boot drive and I game, record, stream and edit videos just fine.

As some people have said or implied for the minimum, it depends on the use case.

Either they don't know about the advantages of SSDs, or need more storage that SDDs can get more expensive than what HDDs can provide at lower cost.

30 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Either they don't know about the advantages of SSDs, or need more storage that SDDs can get more expensive than what HDDs can provide at lower cost.

Can currently buy a 120gb SSD or a 320gb HDD for $18 on PcPartPicker.  I’d rather have the SSD myself. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Can currently buy a 120gb SSD or a 320gb HDD for $18 on PcPartPicker.  I’d rather have the SSD myself. 

Why not just get a 500GB SSD instead? About ~$50 to ~$60... Last time I checked.

10 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Why not just get a 500GB SSD instead? About ~$50 to ~$60... Last time I checked.

I was running it as a comparison price.  I don’t know how much HDD you could get for $50-$60

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I was running it as a comparison price.  I don’t know how much HDD you could get for $50-$60

Well you could get a larger amount of HDD Storage and use that for your Files. 

Just now, whm1974 said:

Well you could get a larger amount of HDD Storage and use that for your Files. 

Sure.  Might even need it for some classes of minimum device. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sure.  Might even need it for some classes of minimum device. 

Minimum Device? Such as?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Minimum Device? Such as?

Well that’s the topic of the thread.   I just looked at “completed listings” on eBay, and the lowest priced complete system sold was a Dell mini 910 for under $30 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Well that’s the topic of the thread.   I just looked at “completed listings” on eBay, and the lowest priced complete system sold was a Dell mini 910 for under $30 

Why would you bid on Ebay for computer stuff?

15 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Why would you bid on Ebay for computer stuff?

I didn’t. They were completed listings.  Stuff that had been sold already.  I was curious as to what the very cheapest system sold on eBay as a result of reading this thread.

24 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Minimum Device? Such as?

There are many kinds of PCs these days.  Not just “pc” and “workstation”.  They have different minimums because it’s use case.

I didn’t. They were completed listings.  Stuff that had been sold already.  I was curious as to what the very cheapest system sold on eBay as a result of reading this thread.

Just how old is the System?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Just how old is the System?

It’s a Dell mini 910 they weren’t sold for very long.

It’s a Dell mini 910 they weren’t sold for very long.

Way too Limited?

23 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Way too Limited?

Never owned one.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Never owned one.

A 9" or 10" Screen?  I would perfer a 11.6" one for a small screen Subnotebook.

I think it's hard to say what a "2020 standard" is. Like, I think that it's super legit to say that the HP Envy I'm typing this on from ~2014 (iirc) running Linux Mint (Xfce) is not enough for gaming, but is basically a beefy chrome book. It's got an Intel dual core i3-4010U, running integrated graphics. And it's perfect for when my main laptop (2019 MBP 15") is being used for other activities. It's perfect for watching videos, working on files in my dropbox/ my class web pages, and other light things that accompany online school. My girlfriends company got all of the employees chromebooks, so those are obviously meeting somebodies minimum standard. But like, for creative work, I would say a suped-up 2011 MBP with an SSD and 16GB of RAM will get you through Adobe creative work with plenty of head room. Idk much about windows machines, so I can't speak to what a minimum can be over on that side of the fence. Or you can go with an iPad Pro from LTT's video on it lol, so that could arguably meet your "2020 standard" in some understanding of it. But all of these options fit their niche, and their niche only. I can't use this little LinuxBook or a chromebook to game. Maybe emulators for Snes and backwards, but I can't get league to run on this thing. In terms of a flexible machine to handle light creative work, game, and web browsing, I'm trying to build that very machine! I'm planning on grabbing a Ryzen 5 3400G with 16GB of dual channel memory to start with to run eSports titles at 720p low for a locked 60fps, and then upgrading to at least an AMD RX580 so that I can upgrade to 1080p OR 120fps. Imo, that meets a pretty good "2020 standard" to be bale to play games with my friends, eSports as a hobby, and some older AAA titles/ be ok with 30fps for more modern AAA titles. Idk. Kind of though vomiting. Just a broke college kids opinion, who is working around what a lot of us Western Gamers consider the lowest acceptable value.

Edited by Madii
added the thought about windows laptops after "suped-up 2011 MBP