MSI products FAIL

07_Sev

Hello everyone,

This isn't as much of a review of a single product but a long term review of msi products as a whole. I've been using MSI products since my first build about 6 years ago. I was very happy with their motherboard, their laptop and their graphics cards. However, after a couple of years of use, with proper maintenance, the products start to fall appart. First, my dad's laptop desktop replacement, which cost about 2000 euros with tax (about 2000$ excluding tax), it's screen began to fail by phisicaly seperating from the laptop. Now the only thing holding that thing together is lots of tape.

Now, my desktop motherboard has failed me after only 6 years of use. their capacitors began to leak ruining the cpu performance and requiring me to replace my motherboard, memory and cpu. These problems are a sign of cost cutting on components. In the case of the laptop by not using the correct material or materialthickness in order to securely hold the screen. With the motherboard the choice was made to use less durable capacitors which start to leak after only 6 years. I've designed electronics which should hold out in way rougher environments while being powered and used for at least 12 hours a day, 7 days of the week. It doesn't cost that much more to get decent capacitors.

I know people think I've used my pc for a long enough time when I use it for 6 years. But I usually use a pc for 8 to 10 years before I have to replace it, not because it broke but only because it was outdated. I have consoles with CRT's with an age of 38 and they still work fine without performance degradation. I expect non moving parts to practically work forever. I certainly won't be buying any MSI products any time soon.

I do believe you are in for a rude awakening.  Everything is built with planned obsolesce.   Nothing is going to last as long as the old stuff.

Also, you do not mention the motherboard you have.  I am curious as to which MSI motherboard you have that has failed.

23 minutes ago, 07_Sev said:

This isn't as much of a review of a single product but a long term review of msi products as a whole

....aaand you proceed to only tell of two products. Wow, totally a long-term review of MSI-products "as a whole." Very much impress.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

....aaand you proceed to only tell of two products. Wow, totally a long-term review of MSI-products "as a whole." Very much impress.

There's an MSI motherboard in a HP OEM with an AMD APU that I used to use for 3 years (belongs to my dad that is still currently using presently, over seven years now) and never had an issue like that. My first gaming pc I build has a MSI motherboard in it, as well as a 1070 Gaming X and no issues there, and my current build has no issues yet. 

Perhaps you fall under the same tree as my older sister....

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 7/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, PyroTheWise said:

Also, you do not mention the motherboard you have.  I am curious as to which MSI motherboard you have that has failed.

I've got the MSI 970 gaming motherboard.