Programming an App for a Website?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so I want to experiment in iPhone app development by creating an app for a website that I make quickly and for free. However with Google I only get results like "Make a website app in 3 Minutes?!?!?! Just Pay us X amount of dollars!" Which isn't helping at all. Could anyone get me on the right track? Is there a Windows alternative to the SDKs only available on Mac? I just want to learn a lot of coding and practice since I want to be a programmer professionally.

You just want to see the app on the device? Why not just use media queries and load up another stylesheet if its on a mobile device?

You just want to see the app on the device? Why not just use media queries and load up another stylesheet if its on a mobile device?

I want to make it so the app receives data from the website, like if the website had a forum you could navigate the forum and it would update as people posted. Basically like you were using it on your Desktop.

I want to make it so the app receives data from the website, like if the website had a forum you could navigate the forum and it would update as people posted. Basically like you were using it on your Desktop.

Well you have two options:

Make a website with a JSON API so that you can receive data and do stuff with it in your app.

or

Make the website mobile compatible, and make a mobile app that has a WebView and just display the website in that.

The second one would be much quicker, and easier to update, but the first could give better performance for animations and such.

Well you have two options:

Make a website with a JSON API so that you can receive data and do stuff with it in your app.

or

Make the website mobile compatible, and make a mobile app that has a WebView and just display the website in that.

The second one would be much quicker, and easier to update, but the first could give better performance for animations and such.

Alright thank you very much for the help I will look into both options further :D

Alright thank you very much for the help I will look into both options further :D

DON'T do the WebView thing. Mobile browsers simply aren't ready and it's impossible to provide an experience anywhere close to a native app.