Basic x570 or good B550 for Ryzen 7 3700x

Hello,

I am planning to build a PC with 3700x, just confused between MSI B550 Tomahawk and Asus Prime X570-P, don't have the budget for a high end x570.
Or will I be ok with B450 Tomahawk ? Is there any instance where 3700x will be better on an x570 than on b550 or b450 ? I don't think I will buy an expensive pcie 4 nvme either.

What is this chipset link which is mentioned as gen 3 for b550 and gen 4 for x570 ? does it make a difference for 3700x ?

Thanks

Unless you need the extra PCIe 4.0 lanes, go with B550.

The B550 Tomahawk is solid. I'd also look for a B550 Aorus Pro or Strix B550-F at around the same price, unless you need the internal Type-C connector.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Unless you need the extra PCIe 4.0 lanes, go with B550.

The B550 Tomahawk is solid. I'd also look for a B550 Aorus Pro or Strix B550-F at around the same price, unless you need the internal Type-C connector.

I think the Tomahawk is the same price as the Asus Tuf gaming x570 and comes with 2.5gb LAN.

I am worried about Gen 4 though, who knows what is around the corner, and unless you are in a position to buy again, if something comes to light that is just a must have, then I think I would err towards an x570.

At the moment, almost utterly irrelevant, but in 3 months, 6 months, 12 months? I dunno.

Oh and just to add, this isn't some gimmick made up by a MB company to sell their product, this is PCIe lanes, they aren't going anywhere for awhile, so the opportunity for some company to provide some Gen 4 functionality that blows us all away, is definitely in existence.

Unless you need the gen 4 lanes from the chipset, b550 should be a decent option. 

For x570. 

The x570-p. 

Tomahawk. 

X570 tuf. 

For b550. 

Tomahawk. 

Mortar. 

Aorus pro. 

Strix f. 

Steel legend. 

A pro.

B450 will work just fine. And will power an 8 core (depending on the model of course.). But if budget allows. B550 is pretty much better in every way. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

I think the Tomahawk is the same price as the Asus Tuf gaming x570 and comes with 2.5gb LAN.

I am worried about Gen 4 though, who knows what is around the corner, and unless you are in a position to buy again, if something comes to light that is just a must have, then I think I would err towards an x570.

At the moment, almost utterly irrelevant, but in 3 months, 6 months, 12 months? I dunno.

Oh and just to add, this isn't some gimmick made up by a MB company to sell their product, this is PCIe lanes, they aren't going anywhere for awhile, so the opportunity for some company to provide some Gen 4 functionality that blows us all away, is definitely in existence.

I mean, you still get enough 4.0 lanes for a graphics card and an NVMe drive, it's not like you're totally missing out on PCIe 4.0.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

I mean, you still get enough 4.0 lanes for a graphics card and an NVMe drive, it's not like you're totally missing out on PCIe 4.0.

Ahh there you, I think in my head it was B450....dunno why.

I live in UAE and B550 tomahawk and Asus prime x570p are around same price. But Tuf x570 is about 50$ more expensive.

B550 tomahawk had pcie 4 slot right ? but chipset link is gen 4. I do not understand this part. what is this chipset link gen 4 and 3 ? 

-= Topic moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'd recommend a B550 Mobo.

I'd personally recommend the B550 A-Pro for a 3700X. My friend uses it and it works super well, has a Type-C connector I believe and has a decent feature set

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

39 minutes ago, Basil Bazzy said:

I live in UAE and B550 tomahawk and Asus prime x570p are around same price. But Tuf x570 is about 50$ more expensive.

B550 tomahawk had pcie 4 slot right ? but chipset link is gen 4. I do not understand this part. what is this chipset link gen 4 and 3 ? 

With B550 you're just getting the PCIe 4.0 lanes from your CPU. In the case of Zen 2 (Ryzen 3100 all the way to the 3950X), you're getting enough to run a graphics card and NVMe SSD at full bandwidth (so 16x and 4x respectively).

The PCIe lanes from the chipset will be 3.0 though, so other expansion cards will run at 3.0. Not that that's too detrimental for performance in most cases mind you, if at all.